"Anthem D2 Processor"

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
I happened to finially look at the Anthem's web-site and was very happy to discovered the Anthem D2 processor... It is impressive..., most impressive indeed.

http://statement.anthemav.com/HTML/Products/D2/Specifications/D2_Specs.html

It seems Joe was quite correct, the Anthem D2 maybe up-gradable on-line for HD-True or HD-DTS in the near future. This is great news for Blue-Ray HT sound improvements. It seems Anthem is advancing the up-gradability for the D2 processor, so it may never be obsolete. Now that is very refreshing. ;)
It seems the D2 is part computer so up-grades are downloaded with ease.

Is anyone else considering this processor for their system?

The anthem D2 will play back a Dolby Plus/DTS-HD single right out of the box. All you need is a HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player with the decoders built in, output a PCM single over HDMI from the player to the D2 and BAM! Dolby Plus/DTS-HD audio. And yes the D2 is fully upgradeable so in the near future Anthem may offer another upgrade and add the decoders to the D2.

I am hoping to send my D1 in soon to get it upgraded to D2 status.

EDIT:
Here is a link to the "Anthem D2 and Gennum VXP scaler. Tweak guide" thread on the AVSforum. Lots of good info here.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=662580

Last edited:
The D2 Processor is incredible!

Zip3kx07 said:
The anthem D2 will play back a Dolby Plus/DTS-HD single right out of the box. All you need is a HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player with the decoders built in, output a PCM single over HDMI from the player to the D2 and BAM! Dolby Plus/DTS-HD audio. And yes the D2 is fully upgradeable so in the near future Anthem may offer another upgrade and add the decoders to the D2.

I am hoping to send my D1 in soon to get it upgraded to D2 status.

EDIT:
Here is a link to the "Anthem D2 and Gennum VXP scaler. Tweak guide" thread on the AVSforum. Lots of good info here.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=662580
Joe,

Wow! I didn't know Anthem had already up-graded the D2 to Dolby Plus/DTS HD... :) That is excellent. I appreciate the AVSforum link Joe, you are right their is lots of good infromation there. ;) I've already started saving-up for the Anthem D2.

Considering....

Hi Robin,

I am considering the Anthem D2, I'm also looking at Pass Labs X5 as an option or Musical fidelity or an Outlaw 7.1 amp. I still have lot of research to do though. I want to look to the future of different surround formats, as well as THX, or DTS-HD, so I might go with an intergrated amp and tube pre-amp. I currently have a Yamaha DSP-A1. It's still too early to decide, there is new technology always coming out. I use my computer alot to run music into the Lexicon sound processor.

Anyway, I'll check out those links from you and Joe, Thank you!

-Alan ( AKA fireform44)

Robin, Joe, or anyone else with a D1

Did you happen to audition a Lexicon MC8, or the like before you went with the D1?

Thanks!

Concider the Anthem P5 too...

fireform44 said:
Hi Robin,

I am considering the Anthem D2, I'm also looking at Pass Labs X5 as an option or Musical fidelity or an Outlaw 7.1 amp. I still have lot of research to do though. I want to look to the future of different surround formats, as well as THX, or DTS-HD, so I might go with an intergrated amp and tube pre-amp. I currently have a Yamaha DSP-A1. It's still too early to decide, there is new technology always coming out. I use my computer alot to run music into the Lexicon sound processor.

Anyway, I'll check out those links from you and Joe, Thank you!

-Alan ( AKA fireform44)
Alan,

IMHO you should really concider the Anthem Statement P5 amplifier as well. :D I love my P5 it is an excellent amplifier. IMHO I believe the D2 and the P5 would harmonize in perfect senergically together, from all I have read. Unfortunately, I haven't been lucky enough to actually hear them together. I did audition the D1 with the P2 in the audio showroom just before I purchased my P5. The D1 and P2 sounded beautiful together, just as I've discribed above with excellent bass and real power too. I would highly recommend auditioning the P5, that is if you can find one in a audio store. ;)

I am concidering, away in future, tubed mono blocks bi-amp'ed to my front ML speakers.

Anthem D1

rynopr said:

Did you happen to audition a Lexicon MC8, or the like before you went with the D1?

Thanks!
rynopr,

I did not concider the Lexicon. :rolleyes: The manager of the "Audio Visual Showroom", where I previewed the Anthem D1 with the P2 amp system, told me they used to carry Lexicon but stopped after hearing and then, consquently began carrying Anthem products. The manager told me Anthem was just so much better than Lexicon (in their opinion). So, I auditioned other gear but not Lexicon. You can check out my review of the Anthem P5, in the "Recommended Amplifiers" section of our site.

HTH :)

Last edited:
rynopr said:

Thanks!
The Lexicon MC-12B was my dream pre-amp for a number of years; the MC-8 is a scaled down version of the MC-12. I have not heard the MC-8 but I did get to play with an MC-12B, the sound was very good, better then the Anthem but at twice the price it better be. My biggest turn off on the lexicon processors is no HDMI, for me it’s a requirement, buying a receiver or preamp now without HDMI may mean you will have to upgrade again in a year or so.

I would look at what you need. If HDMI is not a requirement for you, or you don’t care about the new sound formats then I would get the Lexicon. If you like the video scalier in the D2 and have a video display to make use of it then I would go for the D2, if not I would look at the Anthem AVM-40 with HDMI switching or the Arcam AV-9.

Look to the future to make your decision.

I'm sure it has been mentioned repeatedly... Again, how much is the D1 to D2 upgrade?

rynopr said:
I'm sure it has been mentioned repeatedly... Again, how much is the D1 to D2 upgrade?
Last I checked, Anthem has yet to announce an official price for the upgrade, last time I asked the price was estimated at $1700.00 U.S.

A Processor that will always be up-gradable...

Zip3kx07 said:
Last I checked, Anthem has yet to announce an official price for the upgrade, last time I asked the price was estimated at $1700.00 U.S.
Joe,

Let me see if I understand you correctly; You pack-up and send your D1 to the Anthem company in Canada. They completely refurbish your D1 porcessor by thoughly and completely up-grading the hardware and software. Slap a sticker on the back signifying that your, "D1 refurbished to a D2 Processor". They then pack it up and send it back to you, Oh and charge you $1,700.00 (USD)... ??? ;)

If what your saying is correct, I could purchase a D1 for $3500.00 and have it refurbished for $1,700.00. Or just purchase a D2 for 6,500.00 and have it up-graded (to current state-of-the-art processor levels) every 2 - 5 years for a third of the cost of a new processor? :confused:

It seems in reality the D1 / D2 Anthem Processor would never become obselete, if the owner kept up-grading the processor every few years correct? :confused:

Robin said:
Joe,

Let me see if I understand you correctly; You pack-up and send your D1 to the Anthem company in Canada. They completely refurbish your D1 porcessor by thoughly and completely up-grading the hardware and software. Slap a sticker on the back signifying that your, "D1 refurbished to a D2 Processor". They then pack it up and send it back to you, Oh and charge you $1,700.00 (USD)... ??? ;)

If what your saying is correct, I could purchase a D1 for $3500.00 and have it refurbished for $1,700.00. Or just purchase a D2 for 6,500.00 and have it up-graded (to current state-of-the-art processor levels) every 2 - 5 years for a third of the cost of a new processor? :confused:

It seems in reality the D1 / D2 Anthem Processor would never become obselete, if the owner kept up-grading the processor every few years correct? :confused:

A’ HA

Now you’re catching on.

I picked up my D1 off Audiogon for $3500.00 lightly used and well taken care of, with the intent to send it in for the D2 upgrade. There is no way I can afford a $5000.00 processor or a $6000 plus processor, but picking up a used D1 and paying a little more later I can do.

I send in my D1 to Anthem, they give it a going over, install the new video processing boards and back panel, re-box it ship it back to me and viola, instant D2. The only difference between an upgraded D2 and a factory new D2 is the upgraded will still have the D1 faceplate. Anthem said it’s too expensive to change out those faceplates.

There are lots of D1 on audiogon right now; maybe you should make someone an offer.

The Light Is finally Shining In...

Joe,

OK, I see now... The fog is lifting...

The funny thing is, I just came home from talking with the local "Audio Visual Showroom", which actually sells Anthem D1's and D2's. I turned on my computer and they had said the same thing, confirming what you just said. ;)

Thanks Joe.

Robin said:
Joe,

OK, I see now... The fog is lifting...

The funny thing is, I just came home from talking with the local "Audio Visual Showroom", which actually sells Anthem D1's and D2's. I turned on my computer and they had said the same thing, confirming what you just said. ;)

Thanks Joe.

Sure I see how it is, got to check with the local dealer to make sure Joe is right, there’s trust for ya. :D Just kidding.

Anyway, you thinking about picking up a used D1?
Only thing to keep in mind is the turn around time, it may take a month or better for Anthem to upgrade the D1 and sent back.

Joe,

Thanks I was right on the verge of doing a deal for an MC8 for 3100. Then I saw your information about the new sound formats. On top of that, I stumbled across the info on the new MC12 HD. That tells me that the MC8 will be obsolete in 6 months time. I have decided to go with the D1 and upgrade down the road. I have passed up 2 or 3 D1s that I could of had for 3250. Now, I could kick myself and am on the hunt again. All used or demos of course...

I see that Anthem advertises online that you can buy the D2 now.

How is that possible when the HDMI 1.3 ability won't be ready for another 4 weeks?

The only way to have DTS-HD decoding is with HDMI 1.3

Anthem D2...

tsd2005 said:

How is that possible when the HDMI 1.3 ability won't be ready for another 4 weeks?

tsd2005,

Quite correct, the Anthem company is leading the way with HDMI 1.3 availibility. I talked to the dealer in my area just two days ago, and he confirmed the fact that the Anthem D2 is available now with this technology. Anthem is just ahead of the curve regarding DTS-HD decoding in their processors... ;)
I am very jazzed about the D2 (or a D1 refurbished to be a D2)...,
Quick stop me before I start singing the Canadian Anthem... :D

tsd2005 said:

The Anthem D2 is available at dealers now!

It does not come with HDMI 1.3 or built in Dolby Plus/DTS-HD decoders, it comes with HDMI 1.1. The D2 can not process the Dolby True/DTS-HD single only playback the processed single from the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray players built in Dolby Ture/DTS-HD decoders.

Last edited:
Anthem D2 - Dolby Plus / DTS-HD...

Zip3kx07 said:
The Anthem D2 is available at dealers now!

It does not come with HDMI 1.3 or built in Dolby Plus/DTS-HD decoders, it comes with HDMI 1.1. The D2 can not process the Dolby True/DTS-HD single only playback the processed single from the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray players built in Dolby Ture/DTS-HD decoders.
Joe,

I am sorry for mis-understanding and relaying the Anthem D2's HDMI connection incorrectly as HDMI 1.3, when it should have been HDMI 1.1 connection.
When sales manager and I spoke, this last Friday (5/5/06), Apparently, he told me the D2 (or the D1 refurbishedto D2) will have HDMI 1.1 and have the ability to play-back (not decode) Dolby Plus / DTS-HD, and that is what you are saying, correct? :confused:
Their is quite a difference in the Anthem D2 having the ability to play-back the processed signal from a Blue-Ray player, which has already decoded the signal and sent it to the Anthem D2, which only plays it back.

Thank you for explaining this process, Joe. :)

I love the Anthem D2 processor, especially since it will never be obselete. ;)
IMHO, it is really a cutting edge processor. ;)

That’s correct,

The D2 is compatible with the new audio formats; you just have to have a player with the decoders built in. One of the best fetchers of the D2 is its ability to be upgraded; there are rumors of automatic room correction coming next for the D1/D2. Anthem seams to be committed to upgrading the unit and keeping it current unlike other manufactures that revise a product and leave the customer behind in this ever-changing hobby. With any luck Anthem may offer a D3 upgrade that adding the new Dolby True/DTS-HD decoders built in for decoding, only time will tell.

Latest posts

Back