Anthem AVM-70 vs Marantz AV7706 pre/pro

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomDac

former MLO owner/operator
Reaction score
Hey all,
We are going to upgrade our TV situation so we can go to 4K and of course that means I'm gonna need to find a replacement for the Anthem Statement D2 Pre/Pro that I've been enjoying forever... Started doing some digging and I think it's come down to Anthem's AVM-70 and Marantz AV7706.

Like with the Statement D2, all the reviewers seem to be saying the Anthem sound is a notch above most other HT Pre/Pro's, including the Marantz... Also Anthem's ARC is slightly superior to the Audyssey that Marantz uses, although it's not as intuitive and there have been some bugs with it. Not sure if they're all worked out yet..

Anyway.. I'm leaning towards the Anthem, but would gladly listen to what you guys have experienced with either of these.

Thanks.

Tom.

Ive got the Marantz 8012 and really like it. Its 11 channel atmos sound. I use it for all the speakers except for the two front Prodigies. I run RCA out to my Aragon 2 channel amp for those. It is my 2nd Marantz now. Both have been great. I dont have experience with the pre amp only. I find the menu on the Marantz really easy to use and intuitive. I think the Audyssey does a good job as well. The receiver I had before this is still working great and is on a secondary system now. It has been working well now for about 10 years or more. I think it is a reliable brand.

I replaced the previous owner’s Marantz with an Anthem 520. The Marantz drove the then-existing speakers well, but I just couldn’t warm to the sound. I have since replaced that with an Anthem 1140. I also use an Anthem STR integrated amp in my music room.

I invite like you to guess which choice I’d recommend.

I pulled the trigger on the AVM70... It's being shipped and should be here next week sometime. Thanks to Shawn at DaVinci Media for the assistance with this purchase!! Always a pleasure to work with.

I pulled the trigger on the AVM70... It's being shipped and should be here next week sometime. Thanks to Shawn at DaVinci Media for the assistance with this purchase!! Always a pleasure to work with.
What was the availability like? Curious, since supply issues still seem to be troublesome

Hola Tom,I am a very happy owner of the MV -60. The new MV -70 has some improvements. The sound quality is clean, transparent with very good timbre and harmonic texture. Great buy, you won’t regret it! Quality has no regtret!!
Happy listening!

What was the availability like? Curious, since supply issues still seem to be troublesome

I talked to Shawn at DaVinci media in mid January.. At that time he said he was expected them to be available in mid February. I reached out a few days ago and he said the one he ordered for me was being shipped to him... Chip shortages have been slowing things down for sure. We are trying to get a new TV too and Sony is telling us it could be awhile.. same issues. We're in no hurry.

Hola Tom,I am a very happy owner of the MV -60. The new MV -70 has some improvements. The sound quality is clean, transparent with very good timbre and harmonic texture. Great buy, you won’t regret it! Quality has no regtret!!
Happy listening!
Thanks, Roberto.. The Statement D2 has been wonderful.. no issues ever and sounds really good, so sticking with Anthem was where I was leaning.

Back