Anthem Amp Question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hipgrncln

Reaction score
Looking at Anthem Amps today for a possible trade in/up. Have a MCA-50 and looking at the A5. What are the differences ???? Power seems to be equal. In listening to it the dealer admitted that it made the speakers (non ML) sound REALLY GOOD and I agreed. Also offered me my trade in and $1300.00 would bring it home. A good deal ????

Bob J

Hi Bob,

It’s not worth it to trade from a MCA-50 to a Statement A5, they are basically the same amp just in different chassis . I believe the A5 dose have a few upgraded components over the MCA-50, but you really won't be able to tell a difference. If you’re looking for more sound/power I would suggest you consider the statement P5, Anthems top of the line, 5 channel mono block amp.

A friend of mine let me barrow his A5 a weak ago to try it in my system and I love the amp. It sound very good, only area I would have like more of, was bass; it was very tight, just not real strong.

Tank care.

Last edited:
Ok now would it be better to bi-amp the MCA-50 or trade for a 2 channel P2 ???

Bob J

That’s a tough question.

I think it would depend on what 2 channel amp you were thinking about upgrading to. Bi-amping your main speakers with the MCA-50 would definitely give you an improvement in sound quality. Bi-amping with a tub amp on the panels and a sold state amp on the bottom is what most people here consider the ultimate configuration.

Maybe you should talk to your dealer and see if he would lone you a few different amps to try in your home and see which one sounds best to you.

Last edited:
Anthem Statement P2 or P5...

Bob J,

Joe is correct about the Anthem A5. I did get a dealer to lend me a P2 and it was an outstanding amplifier. I heard the A5 in the show room and Joe is right on, when he says, "it was good but lacked bass, tight but not as strong." That was my assessment as well, which is why I listen to the P2 and fell in love. The P2 does have the tightness, bass and power as well. The only problem for me was I needed to have that in five channels, unfortunately for me a P5 was not available for me to audition, so after hearing the P2 I took a educated chance and purchased the P5, and it was the best improvement to my system other than my ML speakers... :D
Please see my review under "Recommended Amplifiers".

My advise is to, "Trust your ears"... Go out there an audition the Anthem amps and see if they will let you take one or more home to audition in your own HT.

Good luck in your audio quest. ;)

Last edited:
Back