Another Newbie Martin Loganese

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnson

Reaction score
Just like to say hi to all, great site

Yup! i'm another kid in town need advise, got myself a pair of ML ascent i, and a descent, i'm on the state of building 2 ways audio system, i'm looking for amp to fire these ML

so far i've found interested in these amps that available used

-Pathos classic: www.pathosacustic.com
-D-Class Mono Blocks Custom built by Audio Zone: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/51194-dclass_mono_blocks_custom_built_by_audio_zone/
-PS AUDIO GCA100 Power Amplifier
-MOSCODE 600
-Redgum RG175M mono blocks

These amps go from $1000 - $2000.

I haven't heard any of these amp, just read review and research about them, so any of you here knowing about these amps please give me your opinion.

Advise, opinions, coments, anything you guys can through at me please do so, Thanks all

Johnson N

Hi and welcome.

Pathos: pay for italian design, understand that looks + sound is a constant and you're getting a lot of looks.

PS audio GCA 100: now we're talking. The best of the bunch by a wide margin, IMHO.

I don't know the rest, and this is not a good thing....

Hi Johnson,

The audio zone amps on cam look like they would do the trick, putting out 250 a side into 4 ohms. Great price. I am a member on that site as well, same user name. You really need a bit of wattage for ML'S , so personally I wouldn't run them with anything under 100 watts a side. I am using a W-5 Simaudio on my oddessey's which is a great match with the logans if you can swing it price wise.

Johnson, just noticed a W-5 just went on sale on cam for $2500.It is the older 175 watt model, not the newer 190 watt version. You should be able to get that a little cheaper, probably $2200 and it would work out great for you.

Last edited:
Pathos: Highly regarded, but underpowered for your MLs.

Moscode: A classic design, very highly regarded in its day. There is a current version of this amp now being produced. This would be my choice if reasonably priced. It was designed by Harvey Rosenberg who was an audio designer of considerable acclaim. It has a tubed input stage and solid-state outputs.

I have Ascent Is and a Depth, driven by a recently-acquired Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated. The A5 has very high current handling capability and also deals with the Logan's bizarre impedance characteristics, controling them very well in the higher frequencies where they give many amps problems. You can find them used on Audiogon for under $2k. The Integrated has a home theater bypass mode so you can tie it into a home theater system for front amplification and still use it's preamp stage for two-channel.

Thanks all for the welcome and your input

I audition the D-Class MonoBlocks today ingnored the nasty storm that hit the region last night. the sound warm, clean, but not as live as i wish for, i'm looking for the amp that can shoot out the little details like the fingers slide on the acustic guitar string, the picking on the bass. the breath of the vocalist ...

so... Pathos, D-class, out of the picture ...

I'm look forward for the PS audio GCA 100, which is availabe right now for $1200. anyone here have or knowing about this amp please give me your opinions, as i won't have a chance to audition it.

Thanks again to all

Thanks Lugano, it's available local here on the used market, not brand new, i don't have that 30 days try out, buy it then stuck with it. so i realy take your words for it, cuz you guys here know more than i do

If it only were that simple... but it is not. We all listened to a lot of things and developed some dogmas about it - some like tubes, some pure class A, some class D, we just placed our bet on something, and after all this time it turned to be the "best" for our personal ears. But no 2 ears are same, so enjoy the ride and try out everything you can, because the real pleasure comes from being sure that you picked up what's right for you, for your ears and for the people sharing the same cubic feet you're living in. As of me, I follow the KISS(*) principle as much as I can, and PSAudio fits my bill, but it might be different for you. Pick the audio gear that makes you smile and happy, that is the right gear for you, not what we advocate. We merely can help focus on some specific items, helping you to shorten the list, but you're in charge when it comes to final decisions !

(*) Keep It Simple, Stupid

Last edited:
Pathos: Highly regarded, but underpowered for your MLs.

Moscode: A classic design, very highly regarded in its day. There is a current version of this amp now being produced. This would be my choice if reasonably priced. It was designed by Harvey Rosenberg who was an audio designer of considerable acclaim. It has a tubed input stage and solid-state outputs.

I've heard the new Moscode 401-HR amp and it is GREAT. Still based on Harvey Rosenbergs design (the HR in the product name is for him), but very updated as far as components and construction. It's also a thing of freakin' beauty. Love the combination of the orange glow off the tubes contrasting with the blue edgelighting of the etched logo on the glass faceplate. Hard to describe but it looks incredible in person. 300W into a 4 ohm load. When I heard it it was driving Joseph Audio Pearls, but I have read that it is a great match with stats as well. I've only seen it in black, but it looks sweet here in silver...

Edited, I found another picture in black...

Attachments

• moscode_silver_700b.jpg
    moscode_silver_700b.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 241
  • MoscodeBlk.jpg
    MoscodeBlk.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Ok I've got the amp the PS audio CGA for a $1000 bucks... next gonna be a preamp think PS audio as well, match them up. any of you here have it available?

I'm in no rush, my system is not gonna fire up any time soon, My house is under heavy flip right now from the roof down, i'll dadicate around 700 sf for the martin logan when my house if finish, right now second floor is done, stairs and railing is done, down to main floor, then the basement, where the ML gonna be.

It's really help seeing all the systems in here, give me some idears to build the room for the ML, hope to see some more kool stuff

once again my name is Johnson N very nice to know you all

Hi all

OK i have only 20 minutes to deside either the SPA UNIT which are on ebay right now instock 10 minutes from where i am, or the PREAMP

they about same price, I'm pulling my hair right now:mad: :mad: :mad:

Attachments

• preamp.jpg
    preamp.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Tub.jpg
    Tub.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 70
Back