Analysis Plus vs. Nordost

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

rynopr

It seems to me that for most ML owners on here the cable of choice is Nordost. However, I am currently running what seems to be a very good cable. I haven't ever had anything else besides Analysis Plus. I don't want I haven't had mid fi audio equipment until 2004, so I don't have a whole lot of experience. I don't want to chase down used cables and put money out of my pockets if I don't have to.
I'd like to do a comparison between Analysis Plus and Nordost. Which is the better cable for MLs in general?
How about Oval 12/Oval 9 vs. Blue Heavan? Red Dawn vs. Solo Crystal? I think I have the right price points.

What are the reputations, strengths, and weaknesses of each company?

This would be a great help!

Last edited:
rynopr said:
It seems to me that for most ML owners on here the cable of choice is Nordost. However, I am currently running what seems to be a very good cable. I haven't ever had anything else besides Analysis Plus. I don't want I haven't had mid fi audio equipment until 2004, so I don't have a whole lot of experience. I don't want to chase down used cables and put money out of my pockets if I don't have to.
I'd like to do a comparison between Analysis Plus and Nordost. Which is the better cable for MLs in general?
How about Oval 12/Oval 9 vs. Blue Heavan? Red Dawn vs. Solo Crystal? I think I have the right price points.

What are the reputations, strengths, and weaknesses of each company?

This would be a great help!
Hola Rynopr...well I would say to you is "trust your ears and not in specs"...each company claims that they have the best product. Analisys Plus has almost the same, but the rectangular shape of the Nordost. If all the products were the same, you won't sell them at the stores...what I mean is, we know that there are a lot of cables in the market place and also we can get confussed due to the advertisment. Again, trust your ears, and decide which you like most in you system. Cables act like a tone control because of their piezoelectric and triboelectric properties...all cables are microphonic also. But again, everything is a matter of taste and liking...hope this can help!! Happy listening,
Roberto. :D

The Cable Company (www.fatwyre.com) has the option of trying out cables before you buy - which is the best way to determine what YOU like best with your equipment and your room.

What about some local stores in your area? What do they have available? Most if not all of them should have ones to audition at home, even if you have to put them on a CC, only to be reimbursed (credited) up return.

For myself, while the Nordost were okay, I have found that I like the Audioquest cables better. Each to their own.

Dan

Dan -

I think that what people fail to realize is that there is no "absolute" best cable for MLs. I'm sure that choice of equipment, distance from amplification, tubes vs solid state, and shape of room (and dimensions) all contribute to the ultimate sound. As you said, listen for yourself and trust what you hear.

FYI: I happen to like AQ also. Just tried their new tonearm cable (with DBS) and I like it.

Last edited:
aliveatfive said:
Dan - I think that what people fail to realize is that there is no "absolute" best cable for MLs.

Or any other equipment, speakers, etc for that matter. Cable choices all come down to synergy and personal tastes that a cable invokes or displays in your system. Like Roberto and other have stated...they can be a type of tone control for your system as there are bright, smooth, rich, & thin ones out there to choose from unfortunately a cable in my system may not sound the same in yours. That is the hardest part about cables...each cable sounds different in each persons system.

As in my thread on my recent testing of Nordost, Audioquest, DH Labs, Rad Shack, Monster, Zip Cord type Cables, and on and on. There are many choices out there (too many) for people to choose from.

And companies like The Cable Company gives us that opportunity to try out some cables to see what we like best - especially if some of the cables you want to try are not found locally.

So like you have stated and others...you need to try them out in your own system and find out what you like. That takes time and patience to find the right one.

Dan

I am in an area that practically has nothing to offer in the way of mid to high end audio equipment. We have Tweeter and they deal with Monster. My other issue is that I hate to sample from a store that plans on selling it to me when I can buy it used on the net and save so much money.

Thanks

I guess you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. Try to buy used with the option of returning. BTW - the Cable Company sells used cable.

Dan,

Where in Maryland have you gone for cables to audition as you state?

Anthony

DTB300 said:
What about some local stores in your area? What do they have available? Most if not all of them should have ones to audition at home, even if you have to put them on a CC, only to be reimbursed (credited) up return.

Dan

Anthony -

If you're willing to drive to Delaware, Overture has one of the biggest selections of audio stuff I've ever seen. Certainly worth a trip to Wilmington!

BTW - they sell MLs.

I like the "unofficial motto" we've adopted from roberto: "trust your ears." ;)

You might decide that mid-range cables sound better to you than some of the so-called "hi-end" stuff. Just listen carefully and buy what sounds GOOD to YOU.

I really like SonicLink / Black Rhodium Aero S300 cables. I have a pair on my Front, L & R (Mosaics), and one on my Center (Fresco). Out of all the cables I've tried, they seem to have the richest, most detailed sound. I used Spelz' Anti-Cables for a few weeks and liked them quite a bit. But, the Black Rhodium Aero S300s just "sounded better to my ears" from the moment I put them on.

BTW, don't forget that I have some of the SonicLink / Black Rhodiums on sale on AudiogoN (see "Classifieds"). :D

Peace to all,

Neshamah (Steve)

Latest posts

Back