Amps and Power Conditioners

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Alzee

I have a pair of Clarity's(fronts), a Pair of Mosiac's(surronds), Vignette(center Channel but temporary unitil I get my CinemaI) powerd by a Denon 4802R. I want to get a multi channel amp. I was looking at the Rotel 1095 but was recently told that they are giving trouble and are not very good? Now, I am looking at the B&K 200.7 amps but was told they are not the best? Tweeter's said that I should consider a Krell but I do not have the budget. In addition to all of this, I was told that a power conditioner may be just as good as getting another amp. I should mention that I have a monster 2600 surge protector. I am still learning but would appriciate any input. :confused:

Our resident site "Welcome Wagon President" :) Robin, just went through this process and bought a real nice Anthem. Not sure if it is in your budget or not, but search the threads and you shoud find out about it. Hopefully Robin will jump in here and give you her, thoughts on the purchase.

Dan

Alzee said:
I have a pair of Clarity's(fronts), a Pair of Mosiac's(surronds), Vignette(center Channel but temporary unitil I get my CinemaI) powerd by a Denon 4802R. I want to get a multi channel amp. I was looking at the Rotel 1095 but was recently told that they are giving trouble and are not very good? Now, I am looking at the B&K 200.7 amps but was told they are not the best? Tweeter's said that I should consider a Krell but I do not have the budget. In addition to all of this, I was told that a power conditioner may be just as good as getting another amp. I should mention that I have a monster 2600 surge protector. I am still learning but would appriciate any input. :confused:

Hi Alzee,

Well the MonsterCable 2600, is a power conditioner, it use’s filter to condition about 20dB of noise off the power line.

B&K amps are good amps but can sound a little harsh threw martin Logan’s. To me Krell sound very similar to B&K but with a bit more refinement. Best amp recommendation I can give is to try as many amps as you can in your system to find the one that sounds best to you.

Some of the amps I would recommend you try would be Butler, Sunfire, Anthem, Lexicon, Theta, Halcro.

Good luck

Last edited:
I just bought a Sunfire 200w amp, and I'm using my Pioneer Elite 49TXi receiver as a prepro. The top of the line receivers give you good sound, but beyond that any 200w amp will dramatically improve your sound. I went with Sunfire because it has a good reputation for handling tough loads and it can be found on the used market for less than any other well-regarded 200w amp.

I also considered the Parasound A51 (too pricey for me), Rotel 1095 (liked Sunfire sound better, too sterile), and a Sherbourn (Sunfire better value). If you want to buy a receiver now then an amp a little later down the road, a lot of people have done it successfully, as I am doing now.

Anthony

Back