Amplifier recommendation please !

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vijee

Reaction score
I have a 7.2 channel system with 2 sequel II for the front, 2 sl3 for the rear, and 2 cinema for the rear back and with a ML stage for the center. All running of a onkyo NR807. I am wondering if I am milking my ML setup for all its worth
with my onkyo. So the next upgrade for me is to hook a 7 channel amp to my receiver with its preamp outputs. What would be a good amp that would support my configuration. A one piece 7 channel amp that I can be happy with for the next few years. I am considering the MC207 mcintosh or mc58.

Thanks for your time in advance.

Vijay

Sunfire 7400 will give you years of enjoyment. Many here at MLC use them because they have tons of head room, are quiet, and have both a voltage as well as current connection so they are in a sense made for ESLs.

The Sunfire 7400 can be had used on Audiogon for about 2K sometimes less and they can be had new which is the 7401 for about 3 to 3.5 K.

The Sunfire 7400 doubles down as your speaker impedance drops so they can put out 400 at 8ohm, 800 at 4ohm, 1600 at 2 ohm and for a limited time 3200 at 1 ohm. And they run relatively cool so you can put them in a cabinet or rack if need be.

All in all, dollar for dollar the Sunfire multi-channel amps are hard to beat, but they can be beat, you just have to move to uptown audioville. You can take your time and do that at your leasure with a 7400 in your rack.:D

Oh yeah, they are also available as the 7200 and 7201 which is half as powerful as the 7400 and 7401, sorry I have the Sunfire TGA 7400, hence the above recommendation.

Last edited:
I have a 7.2 channel system with 2 sequel II for the front, 2 sl3 for the rear, and 2 cinema for the rear back and with a ML stage for the center. All running of a onkyo NR807. I am wondering if I am milking my ML setup for all its worth
with my onkyo. So the next upgrade for me is to hook a 7 channel amp to my receiver with its preamp outputs. What would be a good amp that would support my configuration. A one piece 7 channel amp that I can be happy with for the next few years. I am considering the MC207 mcintosh or mc58.

Thanks for your time in advance.

Vijay

I know that people on here talk about a number of amps including the Sunfires above, but I can vouch for McIntosh power. I have an MA6500 Int. Amp. It really makes my system sing, or it has good synergy with the MLs if you like. For example, I had the Mc out to get the lighting fixed and had a Rotel Int. Amp in its place. It was lifeless compared to the Mc. Yes, sound came out of the MLs, but not music. So, find a very strong amp, that can deliver power across a broad range of impedance, like mentioned above, and you'll be happy. BTW I'd like to hear Pass Labs and a few others. Just haven't yet. And I, like you, aspire to an MC 207 (with an MX150 and an MVP881 someday). But those are some serious $$$ aspirations. Anyway lastly, make sure you hear whatever you choose in your system, that'll be the tell-all for you. If it doesn't sound good to you, it doesn't matter what others say. Good luck in your search.

I say go all the way and get seven 1.2kw's!

That's why I'm a 2ch guy!

Seven McIntosh 1.2kw's would work, but shortly you would be entertaining a visit from someone with Homeland Security wanting to know what you are doing with all that electricity.:D

In fact, I am a bit surprised they have not been knocking on your door already Jeff.....or maybe they have and this is an attempt to throw them off your trail:D

Last edited:
What the heck.

Go for the Swiss made Solution amp. I think it runs $70K for the stereo version.

By doing this, you'll never suffer from Mac envy. :rolleyes:

All running of a Onkyo NR807. I am wondering if I am milking my ML setup for all its worth with my Onkyo.
Not even close...

I am considering the MC207 mcintosh or mc58.
If this is what you are "wanting", this is what you should buy. It will be a great addition and a significant upgrade in sound quality.

Then for the next sound quality upgrade get a Pre Amp for Two Channel use, and use the Onkyo only for MCH Movies and/or MCH Music.

Lots of mac suggestions -- I had heard the summits off some mac stuff --and I thought they sounded gorgeous... those 501s.....my gawd those are awesome looking..... I have not heard them - but I can imagine. Anyone care to comment on the diff between Mac and Pass Labs?

You really need to listen to some gear and see what you prefer...

Find the sound you like and go after it.

All joking aside, I'd love to hear the Pass Labs and compare them to the McIntosh. There seems to be a preferance for the Pass Labs with ML and it would be interesting to hear the differences.

Gordon, can I invite myself to your place?

Gordon

There are two distinctly different sounds from the Pass Labs camp: the more standard Class AB amps and the Class A amps.

The AB amps have a more neutral tonality than the Class A, which have a richer tonality (and run much warmer). I'd compare the sound of the AB amps pretty closely to the Sanders Monoblocks that I reviewed.

Though McIntosh does not produce a line of Class A amplifiers, there is a definite difference in sound between their smaller amplifiers and larger ones. The MC252 and 402 and 502 have a bit more of an old school solid state sound. Slightly on the warm side, a little slower sounding.

The MC 1.2K and 2KW are completely different, with a more modern sound with higher resolution, with only a touch of warmth to the presentation. I was blown away by how different the MC1.2k's sound in comparison to the smaller amplifiers.

Here's my take on them from a tonality scale, slightly thin to neutral to more romantic

Pass AB - neutral
McIntosh 1.2kw - slightly romantic
McIntosh 252, 402, 502 - more romantic
Pass Class A - very rich tonally but not what I'd call overly romantic or lush

You guys must be so rich! I am still trying to figure out how to power my Prefaces affordably. The gear you mention is of dreams come true.

Maybe there's a rich guy or two in here. Those amps they are discussing are dreams come true for most anybody. You'll find they become a bit more close to reality when you buy used and you save. It's all a journey and you won't get there all at one time. But keep going, it's the fun of audio. I had my first nice system for 20 years and then started again three years ago. Been through a few changes and am really having fun again. And still saving!

Interesting comments so far. I'd like to hear more on the Pass/Mc discussion. Great stuff.

MC207 it is !

First of all, thank you all for your time and input. I made my biggest electronic purchase to date and went with the MC207. I should be getting it sometime next week. Hopefully I am in for a pleasant surprise with its performance. I am going to hook up my onkyo NR807 to the mac through its preamp outputs, and keep the onkyo as the switcher. Now do I really need a better A/V processor preamp in the future or should my onkyo be just fine ? Just curious so I can start saving for my next upgrade in a few months..

Thanks again.

As somebody on here once said, "There is always something better down the road", or maybe I imagined it.:D

You should be able to enjoy what you have and at the same time read about some of the systems that are on this forum and that should give you some ideas to try.

There are many answers to your question concerning your Onyko, the best part is that you are the expert at what you like, no one else. We can give you suggestions but ultimately you will need to check them out for yourself.

And BTW, the answer to your question is also heavily influenced by what kind of sound experience you are going for. Multi-channel, stereo, mono, Dolby, DTS, Neo 6, 2.1, 5.1, 7.1 or .2, 9.2, 11.2, and this is only a partial list, so what's your pleasure?

The good news is that you are at the beginning of a journey, where it leads we can not tell you, we can only suggest certain forks in the road.:D

Back