Amplifier/Receiver recommendations

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spkrdctr

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was thinking that many of you have had various amps. Why don't we make a list of gear that meets a certain power level. These could be organized into sections such as high powered meaning 200 watts per channel and up, mid power would be 100 watts per channel and up to 200 and then low power could be everything under 100 watts per channel. To make it all apples to apples all the power ratings would need to be RMS. No peak power ratings allowed. Now, I'm just throwing this out for your thoughts. I just picked those power ratings but they could be divided up however anyone wants to. For example, there are amps that put out 75 watts per channel at 8 ohms and will double or almost double to 150 watts at 4 ohms. To make it easy we could have the 4 ohm rating be within 15% of the the doubling. Again, if by popular vote all these numbers can be changed to what you all think would work. I'm just throwing out a rough idea. This way when someone wants an amp recommendation for a certain power level, there would be a decent list already made that has the name and power ratings. This is just a thought. Are any of you guys interested in this idea?

I just had another thought. If putting the actual amplifier is too much work, we could just put up the company names that offer this kind of equipment, so the person could do their research by visiting the websites of the manufacturers. It would be nice to have a list of manufacturers that offered good equipment. That I think might be even easier. What this list would do is get rid of all of the garbage that you normally have to wade through when trying to google products that have certain power levels. I have done some google searching and it always tries to bring up car audio! It is near impossible to cut through all the garbage and find the decent high quality gear that has great power ratings. It would really help point people in the right direction.

My idea has died a most dishonorable death. I guess I will put it to rest after playing Taps.

well i'll give you a 'A' for effort but in reality there is and has been so much discussion over the years that the search option is all one really needs.

I just had another thought. If putting the actual amplifier is too much work, we could just put up the company names that offer this kind of equipment, so the person could do their research by visiting the websites of the manufacturers. It would be nice to have a list of manufacturers that offered good equipment. That I think might be even easier. What this list would do is get rid of all of the garbage that you normally have to wade through when trying to google products that have certain power levels. I have done some google searching and it always tries to bring up car audio! It is near impossible to cut through all the garbage and find the decent high quality gear that has great power ratings. It would really help point people in the right direction.

Stereophile, Absolute Sound, etc., used to publish a hardcopy Buyers Guide which had specs for the majority of equipment by product category. Looks like most things they have gone digital...

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/?search=buyers+guide+2019&x=0&y=0
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/buyers_guides/
https://www.stereophile.com/content/recommended-components-2019-edition
http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/category/buyers-guide

twitch54 and Tomdac, well your answers are EXACTLY why you do not want to jump on the forum with a lot of caffeine and start thinking out loud. After reading your answers this morning it was like DUH, of course a search of the forums was needed. I would have even told myself that if I wasn't all jacked up on caffeine. Sometimes I do make some rather obvious mistakes that I know better to make! I have to say maybe it's just because I'm retired now and have more time to make them. I feel kind of like an idiot for not doing a common search of the forums. On a good note, I may be upgrading my speakers and adding a two channel amp to my existing system. I'm of course looking for cheap high quality amplification. I have looked at NAD, Parasound and PS Audio so far as they seem medium powered yet still inexpensive at the $700 to $1200 range. I'm also good with Class D type amps to save money. Any ideas on other low dollar but quite good 2 channel amps? I could search the forums, but since you guys know this stuff right away, I figured I would ask. Oh wait. Maybe I'm getting lazy! No, that can't be it.........:)

Well, with regards to Class D I can tell you from experience the Rogue units can easily drive the hybrid Logans. A few years back Mark Obrien (owner of Rogue) gave me the 'Hydra' to play around with for a month. I put it up against my Spires at the time and it sounded great ! They have now added the 'Dragon' to the group, check it out ..........

http://www.rogueaudio.com/Products_Medusa.htm#Specifications

I agree with TomDac to look into Class D...........I found Wyred 4 Sound SX1000R monoblocks have loads of power and are cheaper than Pass, McIntosh and PS Audio. I wanted one of those other amps for my Summit X's , but their prices are a little out of my budget. I then decided to take a chance on something Class D. Also I did not want the heat/temperature issues from Class A or A/B and Absolute Sound gave the SX1000Rs a great review (and they like Bel Canto also). I have a Wyred Dac-2 so I was familiar with their product. I am very happy with them. These monos seem to take on the sound of my BAT VK31SE preamp (tube) and have effortless power. Wyred seems to have sales promotions on quite often.

Latest posts

Back