Amplifier and Processor Question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

MattML

I've had the Rotel RSP-1068 processor and RMB-1095 (200Wx5) for over a year now.

http://www.rotel.com/products/

My ML system is Scenario fronts, Logos center and scripts surrounds. Now maybe I'm asking too much out of this sytem but I don't think it sounds like it should.

So I'm thinking about selling the Rotel stuff and trying something new. Does anyone have any ideas for a good receiver or separates in that same price range of $2800-3500?

Thanks a bundle,

Matt

matt,
I guess the question is do you use it primarily as a HT setup or do you also use it for 2 channel music. What is that % breakdown?

I primarily listen to 2 channel music and I have a RB 1090 and I had a RC 1070. It did sound fine but I saw a great overall improvement in sound when I replaced the preamp, RC 1070, with a tube preamp. This is why I asked about 2 channel and HT.

I am sure others will have many suggestions and one that comes to mind is a Sunfire. I have heard them and they are nice. It all depends on what you are looking for and as always "trust your ears"

Jeff

Heres how I would break it down:

50% Satelite TV (using pro logic II or 5 speaker stereo)
25% HT
25% 2 Channel Music

MattML,

Your Rotel gear is good for your requirements. Maybe some room treatments is in order to improve or change the sound to your likeing.

How about a Rotel 1098 :eek: I love the look of that unit and it has gotten gret sound reviews.

FWIW - I use a Rotel 1068 pre-pro to integrate multichannel into a much more expensive 2 channel set-up. Two channel consisits of Ascent is, Audio Research VT100 III amp, BAT VK51SE preamp, SME 10 tt, Esoteric DV50s DVS-SACD player, etc.

Bottom line - the Rotel is not embarrassed by the much-more-expensive stuff.

A good first step could be to integrate a good two-channel tube pre-amp into your existing system.

I kept all my old Rotel stuff, and even bought a 1066 processor when I seperated out the two channel from the H.T. setup.

Two systems in one room, see member system 42.

I have my tubes for two channel only, thinking it's a shorter life for tubes in H.T. because movies are longer than LP's/CD's. :D

Rotel it on the mountain

AAF-
There are so many possibilities here, I wonder how you decided it was the Rotel?
1. Setup --Ml's can sound so terrible when not set up properly it is astounding.
2. Cables -- Any and all can make a serious difference. All of one brand might or might not be right. If you used the cables that came with your equipment, you will find that these are almost always sub par, or more accurately, sub sub sub sub par.
3. Other components -- Your CD or DVD might not be up to it....and then there's the issue of coax, fiber optic, etc, on the cables.
4. Music or movies? If music, CD or LP, or other?

How or why you decided the Rotel(s) need replacing is unclear. I'd start with cables on approval.

Rouvin

Thanks for all your comments so far. Let me address a few things to what has been written.

Cables: All my cables are Monster Cable from either the THX line or the M-Series line. So I don't think that should be the problem. I also got the cables short to minimize the probability of interference. I also use a Belkin Pure AV line conditioner/ separator.

For my satelite receiver and DVD player I use an optical connection.

I am still using the Martin Logan power cords for all speakers.

To be honest, I am thrilled to hear you guys like your Rotel stuff. I know it is one of the cheaper brands (or at least cheaper by comparison) to what some of you have. I am a college student and at this point I really need value for money. The reason why I figured it was the Rotel stuff causing the problem is because it is not always accurate on video things, for instance, when I'm sending a progressive signal through the processor and I don't have the menu display set for progressive, the picture blacks out for no reason occasionally. So naturally I figured if its flawed on video, it may very well be flawed for audio. However this may not be the case.

The time I mostly feel I am being short changed is actually when watching DVDs. For example, I'm sure some of you are familiar with the Matrix Reloaded highway scene. I feel my system is missing the crunch (I hope this is a good way to describe it). Another example, the opening fight scene in the first Lord of the Rings movie (when Sauron is defeated). I feel I'm not getting the full effect of the swords clanging or the car accidents.

I suppose what I really need to do is demo another receiver just to see if I get an instantaneous improvement. From what you folks say, this should not be the case since the Rotels should be the better product. If it sounds the same, it will then be time to try room treatments. I've tried to be very good about the room, making sure there is ample space from the speaker to the wall and such. The living room at my apartment is not large, it is only 13' in length but very wide, 24'. Maybe it is not enough breathing room. Now that the semester is over I have more time to dedicate working on the system and I greatly appreciate your guys' help.

Matt

MattML said:
Cables: All my cables are Monster Cable from either the THX line or the M-Series line. So I don't think that should be the problem.

I too was skeptical when I had all the Monster stuff and thought all was well. I then tried out some cables from my local Stereo Store (StraightWire Stage - $100/10ft pair) and what a difference they made over the Monsters. The upper register PHZZZ was gone, the mids were better, etc. etc. And this was replacing the M Series Speaker Cables. Since then I have changed out all my Monster IC's for a DIY type with DH Lab Ultimate RCA's and have never looked back.

But you need to try some out to see what YOU think about the change, and not what we all say. It is your system and your ears, but I think you will be surprised at the change.

Dan

Sweet litttle Monsters?

MML-

Monster, "...I don't think that should be the problem." What makes you so sure?

"... optical connection" What type?

"...not getting the full effect of the swords clanging or the car accidents."

"I suppose what I really need to do is demo another receiver...."

In truth, I'm not familiar with Rotel gear, but there are so many positive things I've heard about it, that there must be something to it. Solid state is certainly up to crunching ands clashing.

Not to clash with your opinion, but It still sounds as if you've decided that it's the Rotel while it sounds like the cables to some of us. All of the cables you mention, and very likely the optical cables, are by high end standards, C grade stuff. Try:
www.signalcable.com/ or
www.mapleshaderecords.com
Both offer very good cables at, relatively speaking, bargain prices with a 30 day return. You might also try the power cords, too, as this can make a stunning difference--- lots os power consumed in crunching and crashing. Mapleshade power cord panned by one guy on this forum based on his opinion of construction, not sonics, but I'd be hesitant to conclude he was correct, having tried Mapleshade's products.

Ml's also tend to sound better along the long wall.

Rouvin

Rouvin said:
MML-

Monster, "...I don't think that should be the problem." What makes you so sure?

Rouvin

All of the stores in south Florida (where I bought most of the system) sell only monster cable. And this stuff was not cheap. Kind of angers me I spent all this money on what you guys say is crap. Seriously though, you walk into any high end store down here and all they have is monster. T

Rouvin said:
"... optical connection" What type?

Rouvin

MONSTER CABLE - Toslink ILSR-1M. 1 meter was $79. Hence why I thought my cables were fine. Looks like they got me on the ole "if it costs more it must be good" technique.

DTB300,

After reading your post, I went and turned off all my equipment and listened, and like you said, I heard a phhhz coming from the speakers. So yes this M series is crap. I'll try to salvage whats left of these cables on ebay and try out some of the brands mentioned.

I don't have any other speaker wire to confirm it is the M series and Gainesville doesn't really have a high end store. First I'll try an alternate receiver like I mentioned before but ultimately I'm probably gonna replace the cabling and power cords. This just seems like a good idea based on all your experiences with monster and cabling in general. There seems to be a consensus on that.

Thanks again and I'll get back to you guys with my findings. If anyone has anything else to mention in the meanntime please do.

Matt

MattML said:
DTB300, After reading your post, I went and turned off all my equipment and listened, and like you said, I heard a phhhz coming from the speakers. So yes this M series is crap. I'll try to salvage whats left of these cables on ebay and try out some of the brands mentioned.

I was talking about how the cables ADD a kind of phzzz to the high end while playing music...sorry about the confusion. If you have noise without music, you may have a grounding problem somewhere or a noisy piece of equipment.

There is worse crap out there than Monster, but you can also do better for almost the same cost...sometimes less.

I don't have any other speaker wire to confirm it is the M series and Gainesville doesn't really have a high end store. First I'll try an alternate receiver like I mentioned before but ultimately I'm probably gonna replace the cabling and power cords. This just seems like a good idea based on all your experiences with monster and cabling in general. There seems to be a consensus on that.

Signal Cable has been mentioned as a place to try. I have used Heartland Cables myself for IC's, but had different RCA's installed instead of the Eichmann Bullet Plugs. Give Dan an E-Mail at Heartland and tell him Dan from MD referred you. I have been very pleased with his product and customer service. Try out the Belden Cable with Eichmann Bullet Plugs for IC's. NOTE: I have not used or tried out his speaker cables.

For speaker cables, you need to try before you buy to see what you like in the price range you want to spend. For StraightWire, I used a company called www.avhifi.com and they have a 30-Day return policy - that is if you want to try out StraightWire. www.fatwyre.com The Cable Company also has product to try out before buying. They also have a used cable website at www.usedcable.com Signal Cable, Heartland also have returns available. Too many people out there now to sell you something and have it returned no questions asked - so take advantage of it, listen and find what you like the best with your system.

Dan

Latest posts

Back