ampli for Martin Logan Quest z

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Musicalbox

Hi ,
I'm an Italian customer of a pair of Martin Logan Quest z.
The problem is :how I can amplify them ?
My previous speakers are a pair of Magneplanar 2.7 qr that I amplified with a pair of Naim 140 + 62.
When I have replaced the maggies with the Martin Logan ,the naim did not amplify them well and I have bought a Krell kav 300i ,but the sound was truly little enjoyable because the mids and the highs are too bright and I don't hear the musicality and the rhythm of the Naim.
Do you know an integrated amplifiers or a power amplifiers that can make me enjoy the Quest z again?
I can spend about 2000 dollars in the used market.
Thank you and sorry for my bad english.

David

Musicalbox said:
Hi ,
I'm an Italian customer of a pair of Martin Logan Quest z.
The problem is :how I can amplify them ?
My previous speakers are a pair of Magneplanar 2.7 qr that I amplified with a pair of Naim 140 + 62.
When I have replaced the maggies with the Martin Logan ,the naim did not amplify them well and I have bought a Krell kav 300i ,but the sound was truly little enjoyable because the mids and the highs are too bright and I don't hear the musicality and the rhythm of the Naim.
Do you know an integrated amplifiers or a power amplifiers that can make me enjoy the Quest z again?
I can spend about 2000 dollars in the used market.
Thank you and sorry for my bad english.

David
Welcome David...well you have in your own country great amps, like Audio Analogue in SS or Viva in tubes...choose the one that you liked most and that it is...happy listening,
Roberto.

hi, i previously used a naim set up, and bought some ml's and the naims didnt touch the driveability of them, so they were promptly disposed of.
i've tried a few valve amps (the tube technology unisis ((30wpc)), and the icon audio sterio 40i classic ((40 wpc))) and they sounded great.
i currently use now a brace of linn lk280, and these drive the ml's a treat. :D

Hi
I drive my Aeon-i's with a Linn 2250, and this works pretty well. I had on loan a set of Simaudio Moon separates (which are supposed to be pretty good with ESLs) after I got the speakers, but much prefered the Linn.

The Linn should be available used in Europe for about 1500-2000 USD, so it fits your bill. I think a new one lists at about 3500 USD.

Svein

Thank you all!
For the audio analogue what model dou you think?
I know that some model are not very good in driving the ml's...
The Linns have a sound similar of the Naim's?(I found a pair of lk240)
thanks

Musicalbox said:
Thank you all!
I know that some model are not very in driving the ml's...
thanks
All depends of your liking. I think that the small models are not for ML, but the Maestro Integrato, ( http://www.audioanalogue.net/maestrointegrato.php ) is one of the best SS integrated amplifiers that I ever heard. It is a beast with a lot of the latest technology, design, built quality and clean sound. Try it, you might like it!
Happy listening,
Roberto. :D

Thank you Roberto ,I'll try to test it with my Quests!
Do you know some experience of the big Niam 250 or 135 with the big Martin Logan from Quest to Cls?

Musicalbox said:
Thank you all!
I know that some model are not very good in driving the ml's...
thanks

naim amps are totally different in sound than linn. naims sound bright, harsh and thin in comparison. linn tronics are far more real, and warm in the presentation.

lk240's are great mono amps, they will drive ml's far far, far better than naims 250, 135's, or any other naim power amp. (i know, i've tried them!)

Hi,
what preamp have you paired with the Linn's mono?
Thank you!
Anyone else have found the Naim's bright, harsh and thin ?

Musicalbox said:
Hi,
what preamp have you paired with the Linn's mono?
Thank you!
Anyone else have found the Naim's bright, harsh and thin ?

the lk280's are not a mono design, but are stereo.
i'm using an lk1 pre with a dirak. the lk1 has a superb mc phono as standard, and as they are quite old now, you can pick an lk1 up for a song.

if you do get the 240's, a good synergetic match will be the kairn pre with the brilliant psu. :)

Back