Amp suggestion for SL3 and theater center

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zappbranagan

Reaction score
I am looking for a recommendation for amp(s) for ML SL3 and ML Theater center.

I currently have SL3 and theater hooked up to a standard HT receiver. Sound fine, but definetly not as good as it could with a dedicated amp. I plan to keep the HL receiver and just hook the 3 ML to a separate amp.

I mainly use this system for HT, not 2 channel. For rears I have ML electro R in ceilings.

Looking to spend no more than 2k. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Have you read this yet?

http://www.martinloganowners.com/fo...ently-asked-question-on-this-site-READ-THIS!!

Your receiver is fine for the center channel.. I'd look at getting the best bang for your buck for the SL3's. They will sing with the right amp. I like Pass Labs with Logans. an X250 would be a great match and you should be able to get one for about $2K... Lot of other suggestions on here.. Search some more.

Last edited:
I'll second Toms thoughts on PASS. Others than come to mind in the used camp are Plinius (Sa-102), Classe' and my favorite for the $$ in the world of tubes is Rogue Audio, but if I read you correctly this will be for both music and HT duty so tubes really don't make much sense.

I am looking for a recommendation for amp(s) for ML SL3 and ML Theater center.

I currently have SL3 and theater hooked up to a standard HT receiver. Sound fine, but definetly not as good as it could with a dedicated amp. I plan to keep the HL receiver and just hook the 3 ML to a separate amp.

I mainly use this system for HT, not 2 channel. For rears I have ML electro R in ceilings.

Looking to spend no more than 2k. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Since you need 3 channels - I’d try to find a used sunfire cinema signature. It’s a5 channel amp rated at 425/ch and is stable enough to run 5 stats easily.

Since you need 3 channels - I’d try to find a used sunfire cinema signature. It’s a5 channel amp rated at 425/ch and is stable enough to run 5 stats easily.

+1 to this.

I have used a Sunfire signature to power my setup, and it does a great job. I still have it, and another Sunfire in my rig to this day. They last a long, long time. And can be refurbished for less than $500 to as good as new condition when the day comes.

I've had several amps on my SL3's over the years, and I've settled on an old Bryston 4B-ST. I bought it used nearly 20 years ago, and about 4 years ago, sent it to Bryston for reconditioning (all new caps). They charged $650, but it was totally worth it! Technically, it's possibly better than new, due to more modern, better caps in the signal path. I also own a newer 4B-SST2, but I actually prefer the older ST on the SL3's. It's punchier and sounds more exciting than the SST2.

Back