Amp suggestion for Aeon i

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

balleklorin

Have Aeon i, need power amp, feel that Denon AVR 3805 is not enough with 2X218 watts into 4 ohms is not enough.
Am I right?

Some alternatives are: Rotel 1090, McIntosh MC 352, MC 252, Nakamichi PA7 mkII or some ICE power based digital amps?

Please give me advice.

:confused:

Amplifier Recommendations...

balleklorin said:
Have Aeon i, need power amp, feel that Denon AVR 3805 is not enough with 2X218 watts into 4 ohms is not enough.
Am I right?

Some alternatives are: Rotel 1090, McIntosh MC 352, MC 252, Nakamichi PA7 mkII or some ICE power based digital amps?

Please give me advice.

balleklorin,

Welcome to the ML Club!
May I assume you will be using your Denon AVR 3805 as a Preamp / Processor. If my assumption is correct, I would recommend you try to audition the following amplifiers in your own HT, prior to your finial decission. My amplifier recommendations in order of over-all quality:

1). Anthem Statement P5.
2). Sim Audio - Moon Arura
3). Cary Audio's Cinema X
4). Sunfire's "Signature" Cinema Seven ~ 400

Personnally, my ears love Class "A" amplifiers, but Sunfire may sound good to your ears (Sunfire is a great class "D" amp). I found with electrostatic ML speakers, I needed an amplifier to be able to handle very low ohms
(0 - 4ohms) with ease, in addition the SS amplifier must have ample Voltage - Current for optimal power with any kind of load.
Ultimately, I strongly advise "Trust your ears" be very patient and then come to an informed decission for your ears. ;)

It is good to have you here. :D

balleklorin said:
Am I right?

Please give me advice.

I don't know anything about your amp but 200 watts should power the Aeon I. Now if you want to upgrade, the MC352 is a good amp, and it's what my Ascents were being driven by when I demo'd them prior to purchase. A used MC352 can be had quite reasonably, for McIntosh. :D Currently, I'm driving my Ascent I's using an MC207, which delivers 200 watts (peaks 400) regardless of whether it is an 4 or 8 ohm load. I've never come close to using all the amp has nor have the anti-clipping lights ever come on (other than start up). :cool:

I forgot to say I crossover with my sub at 80 hz, so the challenge for the amp is to handle the low impedances in the treble I guess.
The AVR 3805 does not have this ability.

Thanks for a warm welcome and advices so far!

I am very happy with the speakers!!!

:)

Robin said:
balleklorin,

Welcome to the ML Club!
May I assume you will be using your Denon AVR 3805 as a Preamp / Processor. If my assumption is correct, I would recommend you try to audition the following amplifiers in your own HT, prior to your finial decission. My amplifier recommendations in order of over-all quality:

1). Anthem Statement P5.
2). Sim Audio - Moon Arura
3). Cary Audio's Cinema X
4). Sunfire's "Signature" Cinema Seven ~ 400

Personnally, my ears love Class "A" amplifiers, but Sunfire may sound good to your ears (Sunfire is a great class "D" amp). I found with electrostatic ML speakers, I needed an amplifier to be able to handle very low ohms
(0 - 4ohms) with ease, in addition the SS amplifier must have ample Voltage - Current for optimal power with any kind of load.
Ultimately, I strongly advise "Trust your ears" be very patient and then come to an informed decission for your ears. ;)

It is good to have you here. :D

I was thinking about a 2 channel amp, there is a Moon W-3 for sale second hand, will that be a good choice?

I would go with Krell or McIntosh. Just depends what type of amp characteristics you prefer

I want a warm lush dark sounding amp that is comfortable to listen too at high levels.

balleklorin said:
I want a warm lush dark sounding amp that is comfortable to listen too at high levels.
If you prefer warmth over umphh then I would go with a McIntosh.

Moon W-3...

balleklorin said:
I was thinking about a 2 channel amp, there is a Moon W-3 for sale second hand, will that be a good choice?
balleklorin,

Sim Audio is an excellent company. Having said that, I have not auditioned the Moon W-3, however I have auditioned the Moon Arura it is a fantastic amplifier, please see my review:

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=970&highlight=Canadian+Anthem

IMHO, if I were you I would audition any prospective amplifier in your own home first before purchasing any amplifier "Trust your ears". ;)

Good luck on your audio quest.

I will do as you say, test the amps and trust my ears.

Thanks again!

Re. omph, I got that in my subwoofer :)

balleklorin said:

You want what I wanted so I went for a blend of Solid State and Tube. Take a look at my system as it gives me that warm lush dark sound but still has the UMPHH that makes it complete. As Robin can attest to, I call it sonic narvana. :cool:

Shit, I sold my X350 3 months ago.....yes I believe it could be a good match!
But I am trying to find a less costy alternative.

Sonic Nirvana...

MarkNewbie said:
You want what I wanted so I went for a blend of Solid State and Tube. Take a look at my system as it gives me that warm lush dark sound but still has the UMPHH that makes it complete. As Robin can attest to, I call it sonic narvana. :cool:
balleklorin,

Mark is quite correct at this juncture his system is true "Sonic Nirvana" the perfect symetry. I believe Mark has found Sonic Nirvana - the perfect combination of SS power - Pass x350 with Tube beautiful texture - McIntosh C2200 Tube pre with Shanling CDTubed 200A SACD player. In Mark Newbie I trust whilst aspiring to attain true Sonic Nirvana SS / Tube harmony.
Mark is my Master and I am "Grasshopper"... :D

Robin,
Sounds like you are "not worthy" :rolleyes: and sucking up to Mark. He doesn't need it. LOL

balleklorin,
I do agree that a tube preamp and a solid state amp is the best of both worlds. Everyone hears differently, rooms act differently, each piece of equipment sounds different and then there is the IC and speaker cable debate. Do what is right for you and what sounds good to you, then you will know and have reached Nirvana.

Oh hell just enjoy life and your ML's because the journey is have the fun.

Jeff :cool:

Robin said:
balleklorin,

Mark is quite correct at this juncture his system is true "Sonic Nirvana" the perfect symetry. I believe Mark has found Sonic Nirvana - the perfect combination of SS power - Pass x350 with Tube beautiful texture - McIntosh C2200 Tube pre with Shanling CDTubed 200A SACD player. In Mark Newbie I trust whilst aspiring to attain true Sonic Nirvana SS / Tube harmony.
Mark is my Master and I am "Grasshopper"... :D

Now I am blushing!

Robin,
Sounds like you are "not worthy" and sucking up to Mark. He doesn't need it. LOL

Somehow I knew someone was going to burst my bubble before I could even start to enjoy it! Thanks for not letting me down Jeff :( Perhaps at this juncture, I should reply with a simple OUCH BABY!!!

Mark,
You're a great guy don't worry about no offense was meant. I had just looked at my credit card bill and wanted to kill myself. I think your setup is great and I would love to hear it someday but I think drive would be rather long.

Jeff :cool:

The Zen synergy of SS and Tube...

Mark and Jeff,

Someday, when I've journeyed long enough I will understand the "Dow" of true "SS and Tube Sonic Nirvana"... Until then I will follow the path toward enlightenment. Hari Krishna... Hari Krishna... Hari Kirshna... Hari Hari...
I'm just kidding. I'm not crazy, just fool'n around... :D

Though I do have a lot to learn from everyone here (especially you Jeff, your SS / Tube system is wonderful as well) with regards to interating tubes into my SS system in the future, as is my plan someday. Thanks again Mark for you great sense of hummor... :D

Jeff,

For goodness sake, no offense was taken at all. I enjoy your humor and took it as such. Please don't think I was offended. So, you can take this as your que to not stop as it is always enjoyed. Sorry about your credit card bill. Those really suck!

Robin,

What does anyone need to say? You make all of us feel wonderful and I have no doubt that you make those around you feel the same way. Thank you for that.

PS. Jeff - Yes, I am sucking up to both of you but it is what I do best!!! :D

Back