Amp. sugestions for Aerius...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MarkNewbie said:
Dan - I was referring to your audio knowledge not your..
And I was talking about audio too....But hey a little testosterone boost is always a plus :p

I just try to pass on an experienced opinion with regards to audio for those asking. Not the bottom line by any means, just another thought to ponder.

Dan

DTB300 said:
And I was talking about audio too....But hey a little testosterone boost is always a plus :p

I just try to pass on an experienced opinion with regards to audio for those asking. Not the bottom line by any means, just another thought to ponder.

Dan

I knew that you would have a witty comeback. Thanks for not dissappointing me. And now I shall wait patiently for Jeff's... :D

Mark,
How can I argue with pure genius. :D Guru, well like Dan said, I am not so sure but well seasoned maybe with some "Essence". Being a few days older than some of us here and having a lot of audio experience never hurts.
Gee do you think my guru hat is sliding? :eek:

Jeff :cool:

Bad luck...

All,
Thanks for your excellent inputs.
I opened up the UPS boxes last evening and was shocked to see that one of the speakers had its left wood trim disengaged completely!! I spent the rest of the night trying to fix it back but no luck: looks like one of the screws (the midlle one of the three on the wood trim ) has got sheared due a large force and has moved from its intended position..
Of course I notified the seller at once over the phone ( iSoldit/ebay), but they were like "it must have been damaged in transit..."
Long story short I am now waiting for UPS to assess the damage; I have a vague sinking feeling....

Is this something that can be fixed in the worst case?

So much for my ML adventures i guess :(

Attachments

• speaker1_small.jpg
    speaker1_small.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
Jeff Zaret said:
Kal,
The first thing I would do is see if they work. The trim can be fixed.

Jeff :cool:

What Jeff said! That trim piece is purely cosmetic. If they work then you should get an estimate from ML to have it fixed. I am sure that UPS will need that. I would send ML the picture that you posted here as well as one from the side and one from the back. Perhaps even a close up of where the screw sheared off. Hang in there. Things have a way of working out. ;)

Amplifier for Aerius...

kal s,

Welcome to the ML Club!

I would recommend auditioning all of your prospective (listed) amplifiers at home if possible. Listening to each amplifier carefully in your own home environment, while "trust your ears" and decide which is more to your liking. If you do a search here ML Club site 'search engine', just type in "Sunfire Cinema" and you will see all of the posts / threads, I generated asking many many questions of all of the good folks here at ML Club, to tease out just what our membership thought of "Sunfire" amplifiers... :D I found out that Sunfire Cinema Grand amplifiers are a great Class 'D' amplifier. However, having said that, I wanted to look at all my options so I expanded my search and looked more at the Class 'A' amps and finially made my choice based on my what sounded good to my ears and based on my budget. IMHO, I would advise not to rush if at all possible, patience is key to sucessfully finding a great sounding awesome amplifier.
I would recommend the same to you now, but especially Roberto's most excellent advise, "Trust your ears".

Good luck on your audio quest... :D

It is good to have you here.

Cheers

-Robin

Last edited:
It works!

MarkNewbie said:
What Jeff said! That trim piece is purely cosmetic. If they work then you should get an estimate from ML to have it fixed. I am sure that UPS will need that. I would send ML the picture that you posted here as well as one from the side and one from the back. Perhaps even a close up of where the screw sheared off. Hang in there. Things have a way of working out. ;)

Thanks a lot Jeff and Mark! I finally put the trim back to some extent and hooked up both the Aerius's to my Yamaha as suggested. And then there was sound :) Fortunately there seems to be no audible effects of damage (if any). I guess the panels themslves are pretty darn rugged. I will email ML support my pics. and see what they say about fixing costs...

Anyways, as I sit listening to awesome acoustic slide guitars with tabla recorded in a cathedral in Santa Barbara using pure vacuum tube equipment on these beasts, I can't wait to audition one of the higher end power amps. The Yamaha doesn't heat up at all ( I cranked it about 50% of the way up, and it is not even breakin a sweat).

Robin said:
kal s,

Welcome to the ML Club!

I would recommend auditioning all of your prospective (listed) amplifiers at home if possible. Listening to each amplifier carefully in your own home environment, while "trust your ears" and decide which is more to your liking. If you do a search here ML Club site 'search engine', just type in "Sunfire Cinema" and you will see all of the posts / threads, I generated asking many many questions of all of the good folks here at ML Club, to tease out just what our membership thought of "Sunfire" amplifiers... :D I found out that Sunfire Cinema Grand amplifiers are a great Class 'D' amplifier. However, having said that, I wanted to look at all my options so I expanded my search and looked more at the Class 'A' amps and finially made my choice based on my what sounded good to my ears and based on my budget. IMHO, I would advise not to rush if at all possible, patience is key to sucessfully finding a great sounding awesome amplifier.
I would recommend the same to you now, but especially Roberto's most excellent advise, "Trust your ears".

Good luck on your audio quest... :D

It is good to have you here.

Cheers

-Robin

Robin,
Thank you for the warm welcome! I will keep looking for different amps till I can decide what sounds best. Right now, I am a little shell shocked by how bad my first big purchase on-line went. Maybe I ought to reconsider where to get high end stuff from...

kal_s said:
Robin,
Thank you for the warm welcome! I will keep looking for different amps till I can decide what sounds best. Right now, I am a little shell shocked by how bad my first big purchase on-line went. Maybe I ought to reconsider where to get high end stuff from...

You might want to try out www.audiogon.com. It is a very reliable site and the prices are normally better than what you will end up at on eBay. Keep in mind that you purchased through a third party that is in business to sell things on eBay for people who don't want to do it themselves. They sell anything from "soup to nuts" so they have no real expertise. Whereas on audiogon you are dealing with audiophiles or higher end audio dealers. Big difference. Lastly, you are going to be shocked when you hear your MLs powered by something in the Class-A spectrum. The difference will be like comparing what your hearing now to the old single speaker transistor radios. Have fun with it! :cool:

Update on my system

I have finally put together the rudiments of a decent system for my ML Aerius
  1. Sunfire Theater Grand pre-pro
  2. Krell KSA-200S 400W pc into 4 ohms
  3. Better Cables balanced XLR interconnect
  4. MIT-2 speaker cables in a bi-wire configuration
I am thrilled to hear the system and can't stop listening! The Krell is simply the best thing I heard ...
I am still using an old 5-disc Yamaha CD changer and that will soon be replaced with something more worthy... how is the Marantz vs. Shanling?
Also looking at Nordost Blue Heaven balanced XLR interconnects: any opinions?

kal_s said:
I am still using an old 5-disc Yamaha CD changer and that will soon be replaced with something more worthy... how is the Marantz vs. Shanling?
Consider this player instead of either the Marantz, Shanling, or any other player for audio. Allen has his stuff together when it comes to audio circuits and playback of redbook or SACD. If I needed to purchase another player today, this is the one I would buy. http://www.vacuumstate.com/jlti_sacd.htm

If you want a nice DVD player to go with it (until Blue-Ray or HD-DVD is officially out), buy an Oppo player. One of the highest rated video players all for under $200.

Dan

Back