Amp Recommendations for ESL 15

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDH55

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking for thoughts on amps for my new ESL 15's. Currently I'm running Parasound JC-1's with my soon to be outgoing Summits (before that, original Aragon's), and have been more than happy with both of them. In fact, I kind of thought these would be my last main amps. However, once I started watching a couple of ML forums, and looking at different members systems... I'm wondering if maybe I have been missing something. Should I be considering an amp upgrade? If so, what should I be looking at? I don't think I will consider tubes as I think there is likely more maintenance than I might be interested in (although tube fans please chime in)...

Those JC-1's are hard to beat. I would say stay with them and use them on your ESL 15's. You will never be short on power, nor will you ever be short on current.

I agree with Charles, JC-1's are a superb piece of kit. Even if you have an 'itch' to go in another direction at least allow yourself plenty of time to set your benchmark with them before making a change.

Glad to hear some votes for my JC-1's! Like I said in my original post, I have been very happy with them, and as Chops said, it's not like I 'need' more power. What surprised me was cruising thru the member photos. I certainly didn't study all of them, but was surprised seeing that many of the amps had these big blue meters on the front of them (NO disrespect McIntosh owners and fans). I was just wondering if maybe there was some special magic with a pair of Mac mono blocks driving the bigger ML's... and I hadn't really budgeted for a pair of MC611's... :rolleyes:

Twitch, how are you liking your Marantz Ruby? I replaced my classic Sonic Frontiers SFCD-1 with a Ruby I guess about a year ago, and while I miss my classic SFCD-1, my Ruby is just a sonic joy... (y)

BDH, absolutely love the Ruby, I can only hope it's the last player I ever own !

As for blue meters, remember Mac is not the only game in town, PASS has for years proven to be a fan favorite in the electrostatic crowd.

BDH, absolutely love the Ruby, I can only hope it's the last player I ever own !

As for blue meters, remember Mac is not the only game in town, PASS has for years proven to be a fan favorite in the electrostatic crowd.
Understood. I just never even considered McIntosh or Pass as I figured they were both out of my league. I guess I'm re-thinking some of this now as... well... they tell me... you can't take it with you!

Trigon Audio - Elektronik GmbH Kassel: Description Are Brilliant, I have owned Mark Levinson 335s and 336, Ayre MXRs, Mc275s, Mc 501s, Electrocompanient AW180, Jadis DA80, Bryston 28Bs, always on the search of balance between power and musicality. Now use the Monolog.
It's always great hearing about brands I'm unfamiliar with! While these amps do look interesting, unfortunately, it doesn't look like they are very available in the US. I'm in no rush though...

I'm actually using an integrated with my CLX - Levinson 585 (200 WPC); sounds great to me, though I have not heard a CLX/Pass or similar combo.

So I purchased my McIntosh MC452 when I demoed it and the ML Montis together. We messed around with listening to a few other Brands of amps in the same store including different model Macs when demoing the Montis. I fell in love with the MC452 and Montis combo.

Now I just purchased the 15a's about a month ago and I also asked around and did research on whether or not I should upgrade my amp. I've had 3 HiFi stores tell me that the MC452 has plenty of power for the 15a's. So far the Amp is working great for me and I love the sound of Mac's and Logan's.

Hola. Tube be or not tube be? I am a superfan of the vacuum tubes. Yes, they have some issues, but the quality sound is what really matters to me. My ears sincerely chose right away the sound of the tubes paired with the electrostatic speakers. My Conrad Johnson Classic One Twenty SE, did smoke many other brands, including tube gear too. Your new speakers deserve the best. Just have a listen, you might like is as I do.
Happy listening!

Glad to hear some votes for my JC-1's! Like I said in my original post, I have been very happy with them, and as Chops said, it's not like I 'need' more power. What surprised me was cruising thru the member photos. I certainly didn't study all of them, but was surprised seeing that many of the amps had these big blue meters on the front of them (NO disrespect McIntosh owners and fans). I was just wondering if maybe there was some special magic with a pair of Mac mono blocks driving the bigger ML's... and I hadn't really budgeted for a pair of MC611's... :rolleyes:

Twitch, how are you liking your Marantz Ruby? I replaced my classic Sonic Frontiers SFCD-1 with a Ruby I guess about a year ago, and while I miss my classic SFCD-1, my Ruby is just a sonic joy... (y)
BDH55 are you talking the original JC-1's or the new ones? I have the originals with the Summit X and then the CLX. Liked them a lot but the heat output kind of got to me as I ran them in high bias. Going to low bias just did not seem the right thing to do to solve the heat issue but then sacrifice sound quality. The new ones are twice as expensive but probably are impressive. I have not gone to Bricasti M28SE with my CLX's and like that combo very much. A buddy used MC 601 and also liked them alot. You just need to be comfortable with your choice.

I'm looking for thoughts on amps for my new ESL 15's. Currently I'm running Parasound JC-1's with my soon to be outgoing Summits (before that, original Aragon's), and have been more than happy with both of them. In fact, I kind of thought these would be my last main amps. However, once I started watching a couple of ML forums, and looking at different members systems... I'm wondering if maybe I have been missing something. Should I be considering an amp upgrade? If so, what should I be looking at? I don't think I will consider tubes as I think there is likely more maintenance than I might be interested in (although tube fans please chime in)...
Have you considered Sanders Magtech? By all accounts it's designed specifically for electrostatics (happy with very low impedance) and is modestly priced.

I have had an ARC D200 solid state amp since 1994 and have no issues at all on my CLSIIZ.

I have Wyred 4 Sound SX1000R monoblocks with my Summit X's. Love the sound, plenty of power, very low draw (15w) when idle. I never turn them off. I use a BAT VK31SE tube preamp to mellow things out . Just noticed that they are on sale again. I have had them about 8 months and they continually break in and get better.

BDH55 are you talking the original JC-1's or the new ones? I have the originals with the Summit X and then the CLX. Liked them a lot but the heat output kind of got to me as I ran them in high bias. Going to low bias just did not seem the right thing to do to solve the heat issue but then sacrifice sound quality. The new ones are twice as expensive but probably are impressive. I have not gone to Bricasti M28SE with my CLX's and like that combo very much. A buddy used MC 601 and also liked them alot. You just need to be comfortable with your choice.
I've got the original JC-1 (not the JC 1+). I agree with you on their heat output. Even at what I consider are modest levels they do get hot, but they sound good with my new speakers.

I'm in no rush on this and mostly just wanted to see what others thought. Also, I was surprised in looking thru member's systems and seeing so many blue meters! I spent a bunch of time over the weekend looking at options/reading user manuals, etc, and I'm not sure that I can do much better than my Para rig without a significant budget increase!

Bricasti is another brand I was unfamiliar with, so I will check them out. I'll admit, I've been eyeballing a pair of MC 611's... especially since they are now less than a new pair of JC 1+...

Have you considered Sanders Magtech? By all accounts it's designed specifically for electrostatics (happy with very low impedance) and is modestly priced.
Sanders is another brand that I really wasn't familiar with until I found this forum, but I spent a bunch of time on their website, and they definitely have my attention! Thx...

Latest posts

Back