Amp. concerns about buying the Vantage

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

ldam

Hi

I'm really hooked on such a set of speakers, but i'm concerned about the combination of the built in amp, and my own amps which i want to keep.

I have a set of LC Audio zapsolute mk 2 (dual monoblocks, 78w class a) ,
which is designed for biwiring; that is each monoblock has two outputs for one speaker, and the internal amplifying is a sort of parallel amplifying for each output, so you could regard it as each monoblock is bi amping one speaker.

So the concern is that using such an output, combined with the builtin amps, is redundant; how will that work? Is this a good combination at all?

[edit]
Well, the answer is found, when looking into the online manual of the Vantage:
Quote: "The Vantage's PoweredForce(tm) woofer is internally powered. Because of this, we do not recommend either active or passive bi-amplification"
[/edit]

I forgot to add: :(

Last edited:
As you discovered yourself, these speakers are definitely not speakers that you can biamp. Biwiring is fine but you can' not biamp them because they are inherently biamped, which in most cases is a good thing.

Last edited:
I took a look the website for that brand of amp and they certainly are a different animal. Apparently, they require not just biwirable speakers but they must be biampable (is that a real word?). They may work on other ML models especially since they claim to produce plenty of current but you might want to try it out before you buy. You might want to take a look at the new Vista speaker which is supposed to be available next month and it will be priced about a grand less than the Vantage.

Last edited:
Hi

Yeah. I was most pleased when i read about the vista today, this may be the solution for my 'problem'.

So now i just have to wait...

kr. ld

ldam said:
Hi

Yeah. I was most pleased when i read about the vista today, this may be the solution for my 'problem'.

So now i just have to wait...

kr. ld

Give the Vista a chance, you may be very happy with them. I was impressed with my demo and since you have the amps to drive them it may work out perfect. And God forbid you save some money along the way :D ........Steve

Another option is to see if the outputs of the amp can be bridged. This effectively doubles the power per channel. Note, various amps have different ways of bridging their outputs. It's rarely as simple as combining the two sets of binding posts.

Latest posts

Back