Amazed Again By Logans

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.A.P

Reaction score
I am not the type of listener that is pretentious and concerned about what is played through my system . I listen to anything from new to old country , rock ,jazz, clasical, folk, with that being said I gravitate towards a good recording more times than good music that is poorly recorded. After talking to one of my dealer friends , he recomended that I give NINE INCH NAILS "WITH TEETH" a listen , now , I said to him, " isnt it just another over compresed heavy metal cd" , he replaid " just give it a listen" I figuerd what the hell cant hurt to listen , plus it came from a krell and Logan dealer . Well after the first three songs I was blown away by the recording , sure there was some compresion but it was just right , drums were big and tight images were wide and deep,(was I listening to a heavy metal band and geting into it?) by the time I had listened to this whole cd I was convinced that , you can make a good heavy metal recording , this cd will make a big pair of Logans sound awsome,reminding you why you bought them in the first place. The depth and power on tracks 3,5, 7,8 are second to none especially if you have a large room with a good sub , if I had a 20ft wide room I believe the Logans would have filled the whole wall with sound. It was a great reminder what these loudspeakers are capable of with good equipment and a good recording , even if it was from a unsuspecting band, kudos to NINE INCH NAILS for releasing a great recording and again I am amazed at the capabilities of these speakers :D

I will have to give Nine Inch Nails a try...

C.A.P said:
It was a great reminder what these loudspeakers are capable of with good equipment and a good recording , even if it was from a unsuspecting band, kudos to NINE INCH NAILS for releasing a great recording and again I am amazed at the capabilities of these speakers :D
C.A.P.

What a great perspective, of how excellent gear, along with wonderful ML speakers, can give new meaning to all kinds of music. :)
I will have to give Nine Inch Nails, a listen too... :D

Cheers

-Robin

I'm equally amazed, more so now....

C.A.P said:
I am not the type of listener that is pretentious and concerned about what is played through my system . I listen to anything from new to old country , rock ,jazz, clasical, folk, with that being said I gravitate towards a good recording more times than good music that is poorly recorded. After talking to one of my dealer friends , he recomended that I give NINE INCH NAILS "WITH TEETH" a listen , now , I said to him, " isnt it just another over compresed heavy metal cd" , he replaid " just give it a listen" I figuerd what the hell cant hurt to listen , plus it came from a krell and Logan dealer . Well after the first three songs I was blown away by the recording , sure there was some compresion but it was just right , drums were big and tight images were wide and deep,(was I listening to a heavy metal band and geting into it?) by the time I had listened to this whole cd I was convinced that , you can make a good heavy metal recording , this cd will make a big pair of Logans sound awsome,reminding you why you bought them in the first place. The depth and power on tracks 3,5, 7,8 are second to none especially if you have a large room with a good sub , if I had a 20ft wide room I believe the Logans would have filled the whole wall with sound. It was a great reminder what these loudspeakers are capable of with good equipment and a good recording , even if it was from a unsuspecting band, kudos to NINE INCH NAILS for releasing a great recording and again I am amazed at the capabilities of these speakers :D

Hi C.A.P,

I have my new Plinius gear since 5 days now and to be honest i wasn't expecting the Ascents to mirror the sound the way it is doing now. Granted my new amps and digital player are still 5 days old very far from being fully broken-in yet the Ascents are already doing a great job handling that power and authority with amazing finesse and confidence.

I had a couple of buddies over yesterday, we listened to a few tracks from different albums. I cant describe how Stevie Ray Vaughn's 'little wing' & 'Chitlins Con Carne' was reproduced, it was truly a hair-raising experience!!!!

To be very honest, I can say that i am just starting to realize the true potential of these Ascents eventhough I've had them for over a year now..

More later .....

AP

I have heard good things about Plinius gear , give some more feed back after some good listining!!! I do love Stevie Ray !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

C.A.P said:
I have heard good things about Plinius gear, give some more feed back after some good listining!!!

CAP...

I have owned the SA-102 Amp, which is driving my CLSIIz's, for a few months now and I am still in awe of the sound of the Plinius Amp and ML's. While the 102 sounds great while running in A/B mode, switching over to Class A is a whole new world. The nice thing about the 102 is you can decide to run in either A/B or A mode so you don't have that space heater running all the time :)

During my search for a new amp for my mains, I auditioned many amps (too many if you ask my wife). This included five Tube Amps and four Solid State Amps (all different manufactures). In the end the Plinius delivered great midrange like tube amps, but the Plinius also had smooth highs (unlike some of the Solid State Amps harshness, and some of the Tube Amps roll-off), and great control on the bass - which I found difficult to have with most of the amps on the CLSIIz's - especially the Tube Amps. So with the Plinius, I feel I received elegant midrange reproduction (that some Tube Amps give you), along with the extension to either end of the audio spectrum. BTW, I mated this amp up with an ARC Tube Pre Amp in my system. I feel a Tube Pre Amp and a Solid State Amp is a great combination when you find the right components.

I highly recommend anyone who is looking for a Solid State Amp, to take the time and listen to the Plinius Amps. And they are top notch "Eye Candy" too :D and a real beast to try to pickup or move around (they even have handles on the back of the amp).

Dan

Attachments

• sa-102.jpg
    sa-102.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
nice review ! they look like they are built like a tank , (in a good way) , switching to class A was a huge improvement for me also , my Krell does not get as hot as I thought , I push it too, when pushed the Logans will come to life , however you better have a big room to fill

Last edited:
Audio Pharaoh said:
I cant describe how Stevie Ray Vaughn's 'little wing' & 'Chitlins Con Carne' was reproduced, it was truly a hair-raising experience!!!!

To be very honest, I can say that i am just starting to realize the true potential of these Ascents eventhough I've had them for over a year now..

I'm glad to hear how much you are getting out of your Ascents; I have also found that putting in a better matching/sounding component allows the Ascents to step up another big notch in quality.

I have never come across anyone else who uses Little Wing for critical listening, but I use it regularly to give me a sense of involvement and detail. It's amazing how many different characteristics Stevie gets out of his guitar on that tune. It blows me away whenever it is reproduced well.

C.A.P said:
nice review ! they look like they are built like a tank , (in a good way) ,

And it feels like one when trying to move it :)

switching to class A was a huge improvement for me also , my Krell does not get as hot as I thought

I have measured mine right where the chassis meets the heatsinks on the top of the unit and have had readings around 138 degree F. I am sure further down the chassis it gets a little warmer :) There was an article by Sam Tellig and he reported temps in the 150's. In A/B mode, it is always cold to the touch.

I push it too, when pushed the Logans will come to life , however you better have a big room to fill

For me, pushing the sound means I am listening around 85 - 90 dB's or so. That is plenty loud enough for me for some serious listening sessions. Most of the time I normally will listen around 75 to 80 dB's

Dan

I listen to various music at diferent levels, sometimes my best listining is late when kids are sleeping with me nearfield at low vol, that being said, I think Logans sound thier best in a BIIIIIIIIG room with alot of clean high power and curent, living with thgese speakers I relized I have just tiped the iceburg as to what I and these speakers are capable of.These speakers make the exotic equipment that some people say is overpriced and does not sound different ( tone deff people ,probably own BLOSE) performe at thier best and show off each of the components abilities. A good marrige if you would say!!

By the way I have been known to as the EAGLES say "TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT" ........lol I sometimes like it loud and clean :D

Loud and Clean...

C.A.P said:
By the way I have been known to as the EAGLES say "TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT" ........lol I sometimes like it loud and clean :D

C.A.P.

Loud and Clean, is fantastic... ;) IMHO, "Protect your ears", not too loud for too long, so you can enjoy again and again... :)

Cheers

-Robin

Latest posts

Back