Allow myself to introduce.....myself

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicksPicks

Reaction score
Hi all...

My name is Nick, and I'm an audiophile junkie.
:)

I've been a member of this board in the past, before this MB engine was changed over. At the time (and my system was posted), I had SL3s > McCormack DNA1 > audio experience symphonies preamp...dont recall the DAC or source back then.
This was probably 2003.

I moved into a new house w/a huge room that I bought these speakers for specifically. Alas...I just could never get them to perform the magic that I heard in my local showrooms. And I was using better components!
Head hanging low, I parted w/my SL3s and then embarked on a 4 year love affair with Von Schweikert speakers. VR4s, 4jrs, 2s and 1s. I had them all (under $8k any way). Loved them. They do things that I, as a amature engineer who records a lot of my source material, can really appreciate. Both theoretically and in practice.

well...a month ago I stumbled across a pair of $750 MINT sequel 2s. Newly replaced drivers and panels (within the last 5 years or so and with very little use) and drove a few hundred miles to pick them up. I knew what I was in for...., but having just heard a spectacular demo of the new Vantage, I had that Electrostat bug in my ass real bad.
Since my last pair, i've changed my room, A LOT. It was open concept, 17'w x 23' to the threshold of the rest of the house that just went on and on. Now a wall (double sheetrocked and dampened) w/French doors closes off the room. I can't believe it...but I can actually get these things to sound like they should, and I'm in heaven, once more.

My current setup is:
source: Thorens TD160 w/grado gold cart. Custom Silver ICs through out
CIA VDA2 DAC fed from 24/96 bit perfect sound card in a PC jukebox
amp: Odyssey CYCLOPS customized integrated. 135wpc at 8ohms. Not sure what it drops down to for a 4ohm load though. In any case, it drives them pretty well. I'd like more power, like 200w@4ohms, but i'm so in love w/the sound of this Odyssey that in order to upgrade I have to move to separates, and I'm loving the simplicity of integrated amps as of recent. I can live w/the SPL I get in my room. I can pressurize it nicely when the recording calls for it to happen. But i'd like to hear from other sequel owners if this power rating is sufficient to properly drive the panels.
My speaker cables (i make cable. web site under construction...www.hydra-audio.com), are all custom done silver clad OFHC copper in a shotgun config.
I've got the speakers 4' out from the wall behind them and 3' from the side walls. Toed in slightly...w/the ol flashlight reflection trick that Martin Logan tech support recommended back when I was battling my room w/the sl3s...., and spaced about 11' from center to center. My listening position is 13' away.

Performance wise...w/the right source material, I get full 3d immersion. Width well beyond the outside of the speakers, Depth that seems as though things float in air 1/2 between me and the speakers and truly can recreate the feeling of any live venue... and imaging in the middle that has stability beyond what I've heard in my room before.

any way...
i'm glad to be back.

Am I missing anything?

Hi all...

I've been a member of this board in the past, before this MB engine was changed over. At the time (and my system was posted), I had SL3s > McCormack DNA1 > audio experience symphonies preamp...dont recall the DAC or source back then.
This was probably 2003.

I moved into a new house w/a huge room that I bought these speakers for specifically. Alas...I just could never get them to perform the magic that I heard in my local showrooms. And I was using better components!
Head hanging low, I parted w/my SL3s and then embarked on a 4 year love affair with Von Schweikert speakers. VR4s, 4jrs, 2s and 1s. I had them all (under $8k any way). Loved them. They do things that I, as a amature engineer who records a lot of my source material, can really appreciate. Both theoretically and in practice.

well...a month ago I stumbled across a pair of $750 MINT sequel 2s. Newly replaced drivers and panels (within the last 5 years or so and with very little use) and drove a few hundred miles to pick them up. I knew what I was in for...., but having just heard a spectacular demo of the new Vantage, I had that Electrostat bug in my ass real bad.
Since my last pair, i've changed my room, A LOT. It was open concept, 17'w x 23' to the threshold of the rest of the house that just went on and on. Now a wall (double sheetrocked and dampened) w/French doors closes off the room. I can't believe it...but I can actually get these things to sound like they should, and I'm in heaven, once more.

My current setup is:
source: Thorens TD160 w/grado gold cart. Custom Silver ICs through out
CIA VDA2 DAC fed from 24/96 bit perfect sound card in a PC jukebox
amp: Odyssey CYCLOPS customized integrated. 135wpc at 8ohms. Not sure what it drops down to for a 4ohm load though. In any case, it drives them pretty well. I'd like more power, like 200w@4ohms, but i'm so in love w/the sound of this Odyssey that in order to upgrade I have to move to separates, and I'm loving the simplicity of integrated amps as of recent. I can live w/the SPL I get in my room. I can pressurize it nicely when the recording calls for it to happen. But i'd like to hear from other sequel owners if this power rating is sufficient to properly drive the panels.
My speaker cables (i make cable. web site under construction...www.hydra-audio.com), are all custom done silver clad OFHC copper in a shotgun config.
I've got the speakers 4' out from the wall behind them and 3' from the side walls. Toed in slightly...w/the ol flashlight reflection trick that Martin Logan tech support recommended back when I was battling my room w/the sl3s...., and spaced about 11' from center to center. My listening position is 13' away.

Performance wise...w/the right source material, I get full 3d immersion. Width well beyond the outside of the speakers, Depth that seems as though things float in air 1/2 between me and the speakers and truly can recreate the feeling of any live venue... and imaging in the middle that has stability beyond what I've heard in my room before.

any way...
i'm glad to be back.

Am I missing anything?

Hola and warm welcome from the Valley of the Orient of San Jose, Costa Rica...sorry, but I don´t understand what do you want...what you are telling us is good and I can´t find a problem. You do know how difficult is to get a truly 3D sound, right? Also, reading what you have in your system, it looks that everything is singing as it should, please tell us what are you missing or what do you want, with all respect. Did you tilt them alredy? To their´s back more highs, to front more focus...also, ML likes quality versus quantity. A better quality power amp with less power is better than a big wattage power amp. The firsts watts are more important, due to those are the ones that we are using all the time...also depends how loud do you play your music. Brother, welcome!!! I wish to you a very happy listening,
Roberto...

Last edited:
Welcome back to the Electrostatic fold, Nick. I'm sure this forum has grown and changed a lot since you were last here. One thing that hasn't changed though, is the love and respect for these awesome speakers. Glad to hear you got these new Sequel 2's singing properly, after your last experience went so poorly. I don't think there are too many speakers in the world that can top great ML's that are set up properly, at least not for my tastes. Great to have you back in the club.

Now when you get ready for some more power for those puppies, you just get in touch with some of us Pass Labs users and we will show you the light. Just ignore those Plinius guys. They are way outnumbered. :D

Welcome back Nick... congratulations on finding the 3d immersion you were looking for... We need PICTURES :D

nice.
thanks guys.

youre right. I"m not missing anything (dont feel like it anyway), but I just wanted to hear from other sequel owners if there is a special amp out there that matches up w/these like they were made together.

as for changing amp brands.
not sure. I'm not a loyalist (more like a slut) w/my gear band names. I've been through probably 5 decent amps in the last 3 years. This Odyssey is the best i've heard.

Sequel II's Rock...

Nick,

:D Welcome back to the ML Club!

I trust you'll seriously concider posting your awesome system in the "Member System" section. ;) I know we would love to see it as well. Your discription of your incredible system sounds just wonderful... :D

I'll get some pictures up today sometime.

my system is modest. not "all that", and by far one of the cheapest setups i've had. and one, if not the best sounding (thus far).

nice.
thanks guys.

youre right. I"m not missing anything (dont feel like it anyway), but I just wanted to hear from other sequel owners if there is a special amp out there that matches up w/these like they were made together.

as for changing amp brands.
not sure. I'm not a loyalist (more like a slut) w/my gear band names. I've been through probably 5 decent amps in the last 3 years. This Odyssey is the best i've heard.

Hi Nick, first :welcome:

It's good to have another Sequel II owner around.

As for amps, I'd recommend the incredible value that a Sunfire stereo delivers. Or if you find a good used deal on a Cinema Grand, use it to bi-amp.

Either way, it will really set those speakers free.

I've tried many more expensive amps on the Sequels and the Monoliths, and to my experience none managed to improve significantly over the Sunfire. Some were a noticeably worse.

Also, further room treatments will continue to make even greater impact than any change in amp or cable ever will.

Managing the rear wave is one of the secrets to getting the most out of these dipoles.

Again, welcome on board.

Hi all...

any way...
i'm glad to be back.

Am I missing anything?

1. :welcome: back!
2. I like how the Vantages/Summits are able to project images beyond the anterior portion of the speaker plane.... and have images between the listener and the speaker itself, like you mentioned. :)
3. Not missing anything....

Latest posts

Back