All those ****** remotes!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris03053

Reaction score
I would like to know what everybody has done with all those remotes that seem to come out of no where. Every time i turn around there's one just sitting there saying "Hey, you know my batteries need to be changed."

Attachments

• DSC00785.JPG
    DSC00785.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 290
Buy rechargeable batteries for your remotes. Here is the company I use:

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/

I also use their batteries in my Digital Camera (Olympus) - I heard about them from recommendations by folks at a camera forum where people were complaining about having to buy batteries on a monthly or weekly basis. There were many recommendations for them.

Look for the package deal where you get a charger and batteries for a decent price. With my kids and their CD Portables along with all my remotes for the TV and Audio System, these have been great for us.

BTW, you can get a charger that does both AAA and AA sizes.

Dan

Holy cr@p, looks they multiplied like rabbits.......

You can actually find your remote(s)?

My crumb catchers (kids) tend to make them dissappear for what seems like days. My wife crams them in-between the couch cushions, why? :confused: It's to the point where I don't even turn on the family room TV unless I can find the cable remote within 2 minutes of searching. Anything longer than that and I know it's futile and the explicitives start to flow. :mad:

Now, on my stereo and HT stuff in the basement. Let the beatings commence if they get a hold of any remote associated with that (and they know it). ;)

You can try a muti-capable remote. Some of them actually work. Sony makes one for about 200 bucks, but it is a bear to program. It will allow you to program "macros" which perform several functions at once. Another possibility is the Harmony remote which connects to your computer through a USB port, and can be programmed using their website. Harmony is easier to program than Sony, IMHO.

Sound aspects aside, is it important for anyone out there to get a nice remote control when you purchase your amp? For me it is.

I'm sure a few of you have seen the remotes you get with Classe gear...now that is a proper remote control. The thing is heavy and fits in your hand perfectly.

And then there's my new MF remote... what a piece of shit for the money I paid for that amp. Of course none of us buy amplifiers just for the remote, and it does what it is suppose to do, but I would think the manufacturer would put a little more thought into it. Kinda like icing on the cake.

Attachments

• 2903Remote.jpg
    2903Remote.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
chris03053 said:
I would like to know what everybody has done with all those remotes that seem to come out of no where. Every time i turn around there's one just sitting there saying "Hey, you know my batteries need to be changed."

I bought a Philips Pronto Pro 7000. It has a base that charges the unit automatically. This will solve your problem instantly!

chris03053 said:

i got harmony remote. it's "activity based" so you press a button to watch TV and everything is set up to watch TV.

Big fan of Universal Remotes Professional Line. They are a little $$$ but they are the best IMO. I own three. Easy to use, A little complicated for a non tech person on the PC but when you do it on the PC you can make it act the way you want. It does everything plus the are RF and very strong. Also well built I have 4 kids and never had a problem.

I find the trend in which every product I buy has a remote that wants to be my universal remote mildly annoying... Much the same as the trend in which every app I download on my computer wants to be my default (browser, audio program, video player, email client, etc) and put its big ugly shortcut on my desktop.

The best antidote I've found to Remote Hell is to simplify: with one player, one receiver and one TV there's not too much room for befuddlement. Of course, that solution will last me only til the next must-have technology comes out (HDDVD, anyone?).

zaphod said:
i got harmony remote. it's "activity based" so you press a button to watch TV and everything is set up to watch TV.
I have read positive reports on Harmony. The "easy to use" i like the most. I'll have to check on that one again.

Well, as I have just solved my Remote Control Nightmare,
It is pretty easy, but it will hurt the pocket a little :rolleyes:

I replaced all my remotes with the URC MX3000, and I love it.

It has a base station to recharge the remote, so no more flat battery problems.

Cheers
Steve

My Remote Control Nightmare

My MX3000
MX3000

Rca. . .

makes a nice universal, programmable touch screen remote for around $100.00 that has replaced my eight remotes with one. Has macros to control multiple devices automatically and the wife can't figure it out!

chris03053 said:

Holy crap Batman! I have seven of those remotes shown in your picture! I never thought about how many remotes I have laying around in different rooms, not to mention ones no longer in use that are stuffed into drawers!

Too funny!

I have had both the Sony RM 3000 AV Commander and the Harmony 688. (I think those model numbers are correct.)

Funny thing is that the Sony had some WOW factor to it. And I was very happy with it until my son decided to test gravity with it. It would have usually withstood such punishment; but, surprisingly, this time its number came up. Fate intervened I guess.

The Sony was definitely a 2-handed remote and was a pain to program (as previously mentioned in this thread) but when people saw it they where impressed just by its size and looks. The fact that I would spend days figuring out how to make it easy to use helped a lot. Most people would have thrown the thing out in frustration.

The Harmony by comparison looks sort of generic and less impressive but it is much easier to live with and use and it is one-handed and yes it is much easier to program. Plus the IR performance is much better. In my media room, I can actually control my devices even if I point the remote in the opposite direction. Never been able to do that before.

The only problem I have had is that to get to the advanced programing stuff you have to dig around on the Harmony website a bit. That and its generic looks are my only complaints and really shouldn't stop anybody from looking into buying the remote. (I do think it looks a lot better than the Theater Master remotes though.)

After using the Harmony I cannot imagine spending hundreds of dollars on a remote now. Unless you REALLY want that WOW factor in the looks department.

I got mine for around $120 (including shipping) which was even cheaper than my old Sony remote.

socialxray said:
I have had both the Sony RM 3000 AV Commander and the Harmony 688. (I think those model numbers are correct.)

That's interesting to me because I have the Sony and have been considering the Harmony DVR model (which I think is the one you're referring to). I have mostly Sony gear, so programming is "free". Unfortunately, as I get older, my eyes aren't too fond of the LCD in a darker room. I've also never liked the backlight - it's just a weird color against the LCD contrast. The harmony is nice becuase it has more hard buttons. I have a DirecTivo, so I mainly use that excellent remote for TV stuff, and have it programmed to do master volume. The Sony just turns everything on for a given source selection.

My only concern with the Harmony is that based on reviews at remotecentral, the only way to program it is via the web interface. This means that you are dependent on Logitech or its users to enter codes for new gear, and hope that they don't screw that up. You're also hosed if they ever shut down the site (think Divx DVD players).

I've also considered a Pronto, but am unwilling to drop $1k on a remote.

Jeff Zaret said:
Well I also have a bunch of remotes and the same issue of Playboy :)

Jeff :cool:
How did THAT get in the picture? :D. Well Jeff we'll have to discuss the Jose article in the Bunny forum. ;)

I figure that helps with finger, hand and eye coordination when you are not using the remotes. :D

I have got to get some female companionship! :eek:

Jeff :cool:

Hello SteveInNC,

Correction: My model is actually the 676. I chose that over the 688 because I liked the button layout in the 676 better.

Your points are valid about the web interface but Logitech is a pretty big company and they seem pretty committed to the Harmony Remote.

As for the codes, I am not sure how Logitech gets the codes but they do get a lot of codes. For example many of my components responded to codes from the Harmony database that where not even on my remote.

A case in point: I could never program a discreet on or off command in the Sony because many of the remotes for my components only had a button that just toggled the power. Even components listed in Sony's manufacturer codes did not provide a discreet on or off signal. Since I had basically programmed the Sony based on activities (which is the same idea with the Harmony) if I turned off a component during that activity (such as turning off the TV when listening to DVD-As) and then decided to exit that activity, everything would turn off except the component that was previously turned off. That component would be turned on instead. Maddening. With the Harmony these discreet codes and many others are available in their database.

On the negative side my receiver was only listed in the Harmony database with the bare bone commands and many where missing. My solution was to tell the web interface that I was using the next model up. Those codes covered all of the commands of my receiver and more. But some commands did not work or did something other than what was instended. I had to go through and delete the useless commands from the remote. Even so it was still easier than programming the Sony and I did not lose any commands.

One other thing about the harmony remote, all of the soft keys (the LCD labels) are listed in alphabetical order when the remote is first programmed. So there is no logic to the grouping of the soft keys on the different "pages" of the LCD. Of course this was not a big deal to me since I would have tweaked this remote no matter what, but to get the most out of the LCD pages you are going to have to move buttons around using the web interface and that is a chore.

Say you want to have the "Eject" label to come after the "Display" label in the LCD. To do this you must move all of the labels that are between Display and Eject down one space (so you can make room for Eject) in the web interface and then use the drop-down fields next to the label to re-assign the correct command since moving the label has changed the actual command assigned to that label. (For example the "Eject" label is actually listed as Open/Close in the Harmony database. You can change the label to Eject, Spew, or anything you want and that is the name that will show up in the LCD screen, but the command is still listed as Open/Close in the database.)

There are no up or down buttons to assist you in moving the labels and the actual commands do not stay with the label. They must be re-assigned. If you have a hundred commands between Display and Eject you are in for some good times.

What I did was actually write everything that I wanted to do out on paper before delving into changing the names and orders of the labels and I would highly recommend that strategy if you have a lot of commands to move around.

(I have already complained to Harmony about this because I think that it is definitely a bad user experience.)

Even after all of that Harmony still beats the Sony in price, performance, and ease of use.

Now for the intangible factors. As previously stated even with all of its faults I would have never moved on from the Sony if it had not have been broken. First of all I spent what I consider a lot of money on it. And secondly it just caught peoples' eyes. That heavy 2-handed slab of plastic and glass looked every bit the part of its namesake: AV Commander. It was a veritable tank and people loved it.

The Harmony gets nothing (well at least the 676 doesn't) in the way of comments. People look at it and the only thing they say is that its red. I guess because it closely resembles a million other remotes out there.

It make me chuckle because I do kind of miss those comments about the Sony.

Last edited:
HK-Steve said:
Well, as I have just solved my Remote Control Nightmare,
It is pretty easy, but it will hurt the pocket a little :rolleyes:

I replaced all my remotes with the URC MX3000, and I love it.

It has a base station to recharge the remote, so no more flat battery problems.

Cheers
Steve

My Remote Control Nightmare

My MX3000
MX3000
Steve,​
Did you hook up the 250-rf with the mx-3000?

Back