Aerius Power Problem

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

m2bozz

Hello,

First of all the Aerius sounds the same if I have the power plugged in or not. I decided to take off the back cover off and the PCB gets power when a signal is sensed but it still sounds the same if I unplug the power. Can anyone tell me what to do? I have both a Carver ZR1600 and a Denon Receiver 4800. I tried hooking it up to both and it does the same thing. There is still high frequecies coming out of the panels.

Mike

m2bozz said:
Hello,

First of all the Aerius sounds the same if I have the power plugged in or not. I decided to take off the back cover off and the PCB gets power when a signal is sensed but it still sounds the same if I unplug the power. Can anyone tell me what to do? I have both a Carver ZR1600 and a Denon Receiver 4800. I tried hooking it up to both and it does the same thing. There is still high frequecies coming out of the panels.

Mike

Hi,
If you have high frequencies coming from the panels, then it sounds like they are working fine. My ML's will continue to play fine for 20+ minutes after being unplugged, it takes the high voltage charge quite a while to bleed off after being unplugged. If the high voltage were not working, you would get virtually nothing from the panel, just the low frequencies from the woofer.

Peter

The Panel seems to be good but the High Voltage board isn't working properly. The other aerius is clear and much louder. The sound seems to be the same even when I play music through it for more than 20 minutes. I unplugged the woofer to see if the sound has changed but it hasn't.

This problem just started today, I had the speakers unplugged for two weeks while I was on vacation.

I do not own Aerius speakers (I have Sequel II's, CLSiiZ's, and a Depth system #20) and I hope this is not redundant but I would start from ground zero here. Check all your connections from the speaker back to your amp. Check and plug and unplug your innterconnects between the speakers and the power source, i.e. from amp to preamp, receiver to speakers, power plugs to the amp or receiver and the power to the speakers. Have you physically moved the speakers or swapped the cables left to right or visa versa. This will help isolate whether or not it is the speaker or something in the link between the source and your speakers. Also, and I do not know how hard this is, but is it possible to move the speaker electronics from one to another. This will definitately tell you if it is the speaker electronics or not.

Another thing to try is to simplfy your setup. In other words just speakers, amp/receiver and a sound source to see if this helps.

You said you were on vacation. So has anything changed since you were gone. Is there new building in the neighborhood. Is a washer or dryer getting old? Is there a refrigerator that is getting old causing greater current drain on the vltage in the house. I know these sound silly but they are things that may or may not be on the same circuit that your speakers are on.

I would get your beverage of choice :D , mark out a couple of hours of time and do this one by one until you can find the cause.

Just my 2 cents worth
Good Luck

Jeff

I have swapped components and nothing else has changed in the building. Auto sensing circuits works but it seems like it isn't turning on the transformer. I am thinking about hooking up the panel to my other aerius speaker transformer. Thanks again Peter and Jeff.

I found that it is my panel that is bad. It is putting out very little sound. Does anyone know how much it costs from Martin Logan?

Thanks
Mike

I thought I had the same problem too with my Quest Z's. I've been in contact with Jim at ML and we went through a lot of different tests and checks.

It turns out I had a bad connection in one of my RCA interconnects going to the amp. No wonder they sounded great with the balanced inputs.... :mad:

Try and check everything and anything that has changed in the system.

Well, I have washed the one panel and I have moved it to the left side. My old Polks sound much better right now than this one aerius. I still love the sound of martin logan I am in the process again of seeing if it is just my panel or some sort of other electronics within the speaker itself.

Well the problem is still definitely the panel, I moved the good panel to the other bad speaker frame and it works fine. Does anyone know how to fix the panel? I have washed the panel and that didn't fix it.

Mike

Contact Jim Power at Martin Logan. He's always been very helpful, and you'll want to call him anyways to discuss purchasing a replacement panel....if he can't help you through fixing your current one.

I've heard of so many odd fixes that it's worth the call. Just use the e-mail link off their website or if someone on this board has Jim's direct number....maybe they could post it here for you.

Back