Aerius i vs Ascent vs Ascent i

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hocky

Reaction score
I currently have Aerius i being used as front mains and am considering upgrading. My question is simple: is the jump from the Aerius i to the Ascent or Ascent i a worthwhile one? And how much different are the two versions of the Ascent? I am basically looking at around $1k out of pocket to upgrade if I can sell my Aerius. Opinions?

Have never heard the Aerius, but I own the Ascent and it is a great speaker. I think of the older generation of hybrid ML's, only the Odyssey and the Prodigy are better speakers.

As for the difference between the Ascent and the Ascent i, my understanding is there is no real difference other than cosmetic. Some may claim that the aluminum woofer outperforms the paper cone woofer, but my understanding is that engineers from ML state that there is no difference in performance between the two speakers. There certainly isn't any difference in the specs.

Hocky,

Having previously owned the Aerius and the SL3, the jump from the former to the latter was quite significant. The main reason was the increased panel size although I'm sure the larger woofer also contributed to the sonic bump.

Given the fact that the Ascent replaced the SL3, I'm confident the same will be true with the Ascent or Ascent I.

GG

Last edited:
Concerning the Ascent and Ascent I:

Ascent I go for roughly $1800 (There's some on Audiogon now, I'm assuming that is what you're currently looking at)

I've watched the older Ascents go for $1200-$1500, which will save you a bit of money, however, they'll have older panels, which is something to consider.

The Ascents (non I) currently on Audiogon are over priced in my opinion at $1800.

I bought my Ascents a little over a year ago for $1100 (right place at the right time). I guess what I'm trying to say is that don't get hung up on what is out there right now, less costly options should eventually show up.

Last edited:
Concerning the Ascent and Ascent I:

Ascent I go for roughly $1800 (There's some on Audiogon now, I'm assuming that is what you're currently looking at)

I've watched the older Ascents go for $1200-$1500, which will save you a bit of money, however, they'll have older panels, which is something to consider.

The Ascents (non I) currently on Audiogon are over priced in my opinion at $1800.

I bought my Ascents a little over a year ago for $1100 (right place at the right time). I guess what I'm trying to say is that don't get hung up on what is out there right now, less costly options should eventually show up.

Wow, great info, thanks!

Back