Aerius i or SL3

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deeman

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a dilemma if you can call it that. I have a chance to buy the ML Aerius i's or SL3's both in mint conditon. The SL3's cost exactly $200 more than the Aerius, plus I would have to rent a minivan to bring the 3's back while the Aerius' just fit in my hatchback. Is it worth the extra $200 plus van rental for the 3's. In reality it is more like $325 extra. What is your opinion on both of these. Thanks in advance.

Dennis

At first blush I'd get the SL3s, but I'd also consider what size room you've got and the power of your amplifier. For instance, my Citation II is happier with the bigger MLs vs the Aerius, and my listening room is just big enough for the bigger speaker. For a $200 difference, I'd get the SL3s anyway. You can always upgrade your room size! I've got Sequels which I've yet to pick up from storage. Great speaker.

I think that both the original Aerius and the later Aerius i, have a higher cross over than the SL3. What this means to me is they sound more like a conventional speaker, at least in the lower mids and hiher bass than the SL3.

I would take the Aerius i's over the SL3, but if you like a more pure "Stat Sound" take the SL3's.

It's a mater of personal choice, but the smaller Aerius may also fit better or be better matched to a smaller or mid-sized room. The SL3 has a better chance of filling a larger room.

The room is approx. 12x16. Right now I have a NAD c350 that's not being used, but I doubt this will run either of these properly, even though the NAD has some power for a 60w amp. I guess I will need something beefier like a rotel or adcom pre/power combo, which is more in my budget.

deeman said:
The room is approx. 12x16. Right now I have a NAD c350 that's not being used, but I doubt this will run either of these properly, even though the NAD has some power for a 60w amp. I guess I will need something beefier like a rotel or adcom pre/power combo, which is more in my budget.
I think that either speaker would work in your room. I don't see how the larger SL3 could be easier to drive, but anything is possible depending on the piece of equipment.

May I suggest that you look at a couple dozen systems in the Member's Section area. It should give you a wide range of ideas what's driving each system.

Like I said, I'd put the extra $200 into my pocket and the Aerius speakers into my car. That $200 could buy a nice pair of interconnects or a box full of used CD or Records.

I made the same decision - I went with the Aerius for what its worth, however these were in better condition than the SL3s on offer.

kach22i said:
I think that either speaker would work in your room. I don't see how the larger SL3 could be easier to drive, but anything is possible depending on the piece of equipment.
Specifically with my equipment, I found that the Aerius was fine in terms of the panels; I wasn't saturating them, but the dynamic stage was being overextended to the point I was concerned about the voicecoils, but I didn't have that problem with the bigger MLs. Purely subjective observation, of course. If at all possible, try to debut different setups for more exposure time with these speakers, and in particular try different types of amplifier technology to find a happy medium.

Tube60 said:
If at all possible, try to debut different setups for more exposure time with these speakers, and in particular try different types of amplifier technology to find a happy medium.
That's a good suggestion.

Tube60, I looked but could not find your system posted in the Member's Systems section, this would tell me more about the variables you were dealing with.

My system is #42, by no means perfect - just my system.

Link:
http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=531

I've owned both the Aerius i and currently have SL3s. The Aerius have a very "sweet" character to them, but they are a bit light on the bass side of things. I tend to prefer the Aerius in very small rooms, but I'd go for the SL3s in your case IMHO.

Both speakers appreciate ample power, but you don't need anything extreme. I used an ARC D130 with my Aerius and it sounded quite nice.

dyazdani said:
Aerius ........., but they are a bit light on the bass side of things. I tend to prefer the Aerius in very small rooms,
1. Aerius is light on the bass which can be a good thing in small rooms and getting them to interface acoustic wise. I wish at times I had more bass, my wife does not - hint.

2. Very few, less than 5% (I'm guessing) of the rooms listed in the members system are narrower than your 12 foot wide room. You have a small room, unless it's open on several sides and you can not close it off (as in my room's case).

3. Good luck.

kach22i said:
1. Aerius is light on the bass which can be a good thing in small rooms and getting them to interface acoustic wise. I wish at times I had more bass, my wife does not - hint.

2. Very few, less than 5% (I'm guessing) of the rooms listed in the members system are narrower than your 12 foot wide room. You have a small room, unless it's open on several sides and you can not close it off (as in my room's case).

3. Good luck.
the bass attenuation switch is very helpful on the sl3. i think less bass sounds more natural on jazz. my room has a standing wave problem anyway. on most recordings i need the -3 db position.

dyazdani said:
I've owned both the Aerius i and currently have SL3s. The Aerius have a very "sweet" character to them, but they are a bit light on the bass side of things. I tend to prefer the Aerius in very small rooms, but I'd go for the SL3s in your case IMHO.

I agree. I had the same problem over a year ago, but after a session with my dealer i went with the SL3's, however they cost my €300 more than the Aerius i. But they are definitely worth the higher price. I think they sound much more "grown up" !!

regards, dave

kach22i said:
That's a good suggestion.
Tube60, I looked but could not find your system posted in the Member's Systems section, this would tell me more about the variables you were dealing with.
My system is #42, by no means perfect - just my system.
Sorry! 1/2 my system is down for upgrades, and I haven't got any pics of it! :rolleyes:
But here's what I've got (normally):
McIntosh MX-110 preamp;
Harman/Kardon Citation II;
Sony digital recorder/CD player (forget the model #);
Infinity 1000A electrostats (temporary until I get my Sequels installed);
Kenwood KD-5100 turntable (now dead);
Projekt 1.2 turntable (motor going bad).
I'm upgrading my Mac with a beefier power supply and new tone control circuits, which I'll have done soon, and I'm building a new amplifier. But I'll have my Mac and my Sequels installed in a couple of weeks. August 19th to be exact. And I'm fishing around for a new turntable, obviously! I'll post my system as soon as I can.
Regards,
Ross

Tube60 said:
and I'm building a new amplifier.
If you are into building things and need a turntable then check these guys out.

http://www.teresaudio.com/

One day I'll purchase the motor and spindle from them and make the plinth and platter myself. It will be very artistic and architectural.

Cheers.

I've had both / go with the SL3

I had the Aerius and then upgraded to the SL3. I now have the Summits. Huge improvement in soundstaging, bass response, dynamic range, etc. going from the Aerius to the SL3. My advice would be to go with the SL3.

GG

Back