Aerius/Cinema owner

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoboRob

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm Rob and proud owner of four way Aerius setup combined with a Cinema center speaker. Also I have a home made sub-woofer made up of a MDF column of 45x20x200cm column with a Visaton 30cm two coil speaker (TIW 300) driven by a separate Quad amplifier.

The front Aeriuses are bi-wired. Low speaker is driven directly from the Sony 5.1 amplifier, the high frequencies are connected to a Velleman K4040 valve amplifier:

k4040.jpg

The rear Aeriuses are single wired to the Sony amplifier.

The Cinema is driven by a separate Velleman valve K8010 amplifier:

4ce0257e242514fcbeb8daba609cdf66.jpg

Altogether this sounds great. No components are modded yet although I consider better caps for the front Aeriuses...

Especially using the valve amplifiers made a huge difference in mid and high frequencies. The speakers really "opened up"!!!

PS favourite track: The Corrs - Everybody Hurts (cover of REM) taken from their Unplugged DVD in DTS.

regards,
Rob.

Last edited:
You have very interesting combination of amplification.

I know what you mean by "opening up" of the sound with tubes and the Aerius.

See my system link in my signature.

Welcome to the forum.

You have very interesting combination of amplification.

This was done because the valve amplifier wasn't able to made the Aerius woofer come alive but was improving the mid and high dramaticly. So I decided to keep the woofer driven by the traditional transistor based Sony and drive the mid/high via the valve amplifier. Best of both worlds so to speak...

regards,
Rob.

Last edited:
In my system a 100w tube amp improved everything especially the bass. It replaced a 100w Rotel SS amp which was very good mid-fi but not hi-end in all respects.

I'll move additional comments to the "Members Systems" area where I see you have a photo up.

Back