Aerius Bias Voltage

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mike D'Ambrosio

Hi All- Does anyone know (or could anyone measure) the membrane bias voltage on the Aerius panels? I just ebayed a pair of these (panels only) and am going to play around with some direct drive tube designs, but first need to know the proper bias...

Thanks,
Mike

Mike D'Ambrosio said:
Hi All- Does anyone know (or could anyone measure) the membrane bias voltage on the Aerius panels? I just ebayed a pair of these (panels only) and am going to play around with some direct drive tube designs, but first need to know the proper bias...

Thanks,
Mike
Hola Mike...around 6KV. Hope this can help! Happy listening, pura vida,
Roberto.

Wow. I was expecting more like 1.5kv, given how skinny the panels are. Considering that the breakdown for air is about 30KV/cm, (thus 2mm for 6kv), it seems like ML is pushing the limits. Any idea what the stators are insulated (coated) with?

Mike

Mike D'Ambrosio said:
Wow. I was expecting more like 1.5kv, given how skinny the panels are. Considering that the breakdown for air is about 30KV/cm, (thus 2mm for 6kv), it seems like ML is pushing the limits. Any idea what the stators are insulated (coated) with?

Mike
It is a special bonded formula from Dupond...and the insulation is for over 12KV!!! Also you need a special Xforms to drive the signal...no an easy task. Cost less to buy a new pair than experiment with the panels...ML is not a joke inside. Happy listening, pura vida,
Roberto.

I just did some preliminary experimentation driving the stators directly off the plates of a pair of push-pull kt66's with a -1.5kv bias on the membrane and it actually sounded decent. -5kv should be pretty easily attained with a voltage doubler on a microwave transformer, and combined with running the stators off the plates of a pair of push-pull 845's running 1250v on the plates (resulting in a net bias of about 6kv) they should sound pretty good.

Thanks for the info Roberto!
Mike

Mike D'Ambrosio said:
I just did some preliminary experimentation driving the stators directly off the plates of a pair of push-pull kt66's with a -1.5kv bias on the membrane and it actually sounded decent. -5kv should be pretty easily attained with a voltage doubler on a microwave transformer, and combined with running the stators off the plates of a pair of push-pull 845's running 1250v on the plates (resulting in a net bias of about 6kv) they should sound pretty good.

Thanks for the info Roberto!
Mike
Hola Mike...please keep me posted...you are in the right track for experiments and not easy to do them. I can see that you have nice tools and parts to play with it. Are the KT-66s a better version of the 6L6s or I am wrong? Nice to help!. The Aerius panels are not designed for low frequency. The ML cut is around 450 Hz. Perhaps this can help. Pura vida,
Roberto.

Back