Aerius back panel

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popipipo

Reaction score
Hi ,

I've been planning a cap upgrade for my Aerius I's for sometime now, and today I finally received my new caps.
After applying the "solder stator wire" tweak I unscrewed the back panel, to get started on the serious tweaks (cap upgrade and making the auto-on more sensitive to input signal)
However, I can't get the back panel off , eventhough I fully unscrewed it.
I've attempted to increase the ability to apply force by unscrewing the ac-inlet and using the hole to pull out the board.
No matter how hard I pull...no movement.. :(

Is there some secret construction method I should be familiar with ?
I hope that someone with experience on the matter will rise and help me with this.... :D

Thanks....

One of the panels on my Sequels was difficult to remove. Mine had double sided foam tape between the panel and the enclosure, which degraded on one but not the other. Your best bet is to take a small Wonder Bar or a wall scraper and gently lift the panel off. Your Aerius may be different from my Sequel, in that on mine the electronics are mounted on the panel. So be careful and don't go too far underneath. When you re-mount them, use PolyseamSeal instead of the tape to control rattles.
HTH :D

Popipipo,

I happened to have installed new binding posts on my Aerius i's today. I, too, was concerned about getting the back panel off, so I e-mail Jim Power to see if there was a secret to getting them off. Here's what he wrote back:

"Un-sticking a stuck Aerius back-plate

Sometimes the paint would stick and 'glue' the back-plate shut. We found a trick. It sounds brutal but it works very nicely without damaging anything.
You will need a carpenters claw hammer. That is the kind with the nail pulling claw on the back side of the hammer head.
Next, loosen one of the speaker terminal nuts nearest the outside edge of the woofer box. I believe that it will be one of the Negative (-) terminals.
Insert the claw of the hammer under the terminal nut and gently pry the head of the hammer off of the outside edge of the woofer box. I use a strip of cardboard to protect the edge of the woofer box from the head of the hammer. It won't require much pressure to break it loose. You will hear a slight creaking ."

It worked like a charm.
Hope this helps,
Jeff

Thanks a lot for your replies guys ! :)

Your comments encouraged me to be a bit more energetic about it.
I used a steel spatula from my kitchen to gently rock the back plate out..
This worked beautifully.. :)

I've worked until 3 AM to get my mods done... I will post my mods shortly in the appropriate thread. ;)

Back