Aerieus i sounds very FLAT!!!

• Thread starter FlyingPurpleElephant
  • Start date
MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

FlyingPurpleElephant

Hi Guys,

When I power on the Aerius-i's the sound is GREAT. However, after a few seconds (20-30 secs) the sound becomes very very flat, i.e. the highs are absolutely missing. It is as if the ESL is not getting charged. :confused:

So being adventurous I openend the back panel. I noticed that there is an LED that lights up when the speakers are initially powered on but then that LED goes off and after a few seconds the sound quality goes rock bottom. The cone speaker at the bottom continues to belt out the sound.

I am powering these with a YAMAHA receiver.

Any help would be appreciated!!!! :)

Thanks,
Micky

Once or twice in the past 14 years after unplugging the speakers for a thunderstorm I've forgotten to plug them back in. I then sit there scratching my head a thinking WTF is wrong? The speakers play but they lack punch and sound FLAT .

Perhaps there is a problem with a power supply and it is shutting off and cutting out the power.

That's my guess, although I don't know which part or parts that may be.

Maybe you can kill two birds with one stone and do a few of the improvements in the "Tweeks" section and fix the power cutting out problem.

Did you read this thread yet? Sound familiar?

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=2248
Also, double check that the unit is getting energized correctly. You could just have an issue with a power cord, a socket or the internal high-voltage board.
If you are able to check voltages with a meter, do so (carefully).

But after 10 years in the tropics, you most likely do need new panels. I sure would recommend them............JonFo

FlyingPurpleElephant,

I had that problem with my Sequel II's a few years ago. It turned out to be the power/regualtor board. I replaced both since I felt that if you replaced one the other would go soon. If my memory is still somewhat working, I believe they were both about $175 USD and real easy to change.

Like kach22i said, it could also be as simple as the panels not charging. They usually last about 15 to 20 minutes without a charging but if they have not been charged and only get a "trickle" that sounds about right. Check to make sure the plug is snug in the socket on the back of the speaker.

Good Luck

Jeff :cool:

Thanks Kach22i & Jeff for your messages. Where did you get the Power/Regulator board? Were you able to change it DIY?

When I power them on initially the LED does light up and the speakers sound sweet. It is after the initial charge that they go flat. So it is as if there is a 'recharge' mechanism that seems to be having trouble... Any ideas?

FlyingPurpleElephant,

I got the power/regulator boards from ML. I would call Jim Power on Monday and tell him what you are experiencing. He will be able to tell you what to look for and what is the exact problem and the fix. It may be a fuse on the board that has blown but my guess it is the board.

Jeff :cool:

Thanks Jeff for the quick reply!!! Would you have a number I could call Jim at?

Appreciate your help.....

Thanks,
Micky

Thanks Jeff and SugarMedia. Will let you folks know how it goes........

Back