Aeons Tubes and Streaming Audio

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig

Reaction score
We just had new carpet installed in the house which of course mans that every piece of furniture and AV equipment had to be taken down and removed. After the carpet was installed and before we started moving most of the furniture back into the main rooms I decided to setup a quick and easy 2 channel system in a mostly bare open room. I used the Aeons my Jota SET Tube amp and the Squeezebox 3 as my source going direct into the tube amp. The SB3 has internal DACs and a volume control so a preamp isn't necessary.

It actually sounds pretty darn good. The Aeons are a respectable sounding speaker when provided with clean smooth power and set away from the walls. They are placed about 5 feet from the front wall and over 6' from the side walls symetrically in the room.

The SB3 is playing CD ripped FLAC files through the wireless from my PC in another room. The sound quality comes close to the Electrocompaniet EMC1 UP SE I normally use. The CD player is consistently better but the fact that this SB3 comes close says a lot about its capability, especially for a $300 piece. I don't think anything comes close in that price range. Of course the tube amp really helps with the soundstaging and overall musicallity.

I''d like to set my Summits in the room like this but then I have to find another way to setup all the HT stuff and that has its own limitations.

Attachments

• Aeons SB3 and Tubes.jpg
    Aeons SB3 and Tubes.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 116
Geeesh Craig....

Eveytime I look at your posts you seem to have new room and a new system. You sure you only have 3 systems? :D

I think its called "keeping up with (or ahead of) the Joeys" ;)

I wish I had the room to experiment with five feet out and six on the sides.

Right now I'm 3 ft out and 4.5ft on the sides. I honestly believe I would have major soundstage improvement with Five feet out.

SugarMedia said:
I wish I had the room to experiment with five feet out and six on the sides. Right now I'm 3 ft out and 4.5ft on the sides. I honestly believe I would have major soundstage improvement with Five feet out.
Yeah I hear ya...but unfortunately most of us have our systems in living spaces. For myself, I am just glad to have my system, and wish I had a better room for it.

Dan

Eveytime I look at your posts you seem to have new room and a new system. You sure you only have 3 systems?

Actually, I'm down to 2 1/2 since I sold my Jolida amp and lacking a preamp to complete a second 2 channel system. However, I can use the SB3 without a preamp and that is what I did here.

Mostly the same gear. Just different combinations of the same equipment. Well except for a few things I've acquired lately and a few things I've sold. I'm still evolving like an animal on the Galapagos.

I took the opportunity when I had most of the furniture moved out of the room and all my AV gear relocated for carpet installation to set this one up. And yes it will be different tomorrow because I have to put all the furniture back and pu tmy HT system back together in this room. But more importantly my new woofer amplifier for the Summit arrived today so I'll be working on that tonight. That's going to be fun and very interesting!

Well that was actually pretty easy. I have the new amplifier (s) installed and the Summits are singing again. (Concerning the little LED on the back of the speaker) Green light good! I took photos to document the operation and will post later. For now, I have to move the furniture back into the house tonight and set the HT system back up.

Mostly the same gear. Just different combinations of the same equipment. Well except for a few things I've acquired lately and a few things I've sold. I'm still evolving like an animal on the Galapagos.

It seems to me more like an example of intelligent design :p

Sorry couldn't resist that, the system looks nice in front of the fireplace by the way.

Last edited:
Back