Aeon or Vantage?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marlin

Reaction score
I am getting ready to up-grade my speakers. I currently have and am highly pleased with the Scenarios. When I went to my local Magnolia store to audition the Vantage, they had a demo set of Aeons for a very good price. I could pickup the Aeons and add a Depth sub for less than the price of the Vanage. What do any of you think?

Aching to go tubular.

marlin said:
I am getting ready to up-grade my speakers. I currently have and am highly pleased with the Scenarios. When I went to my local Magnolia store to audition the Vantage, they had a demo set of Aeons for a very good price. I could pickup the Aeons and add a Depth sub for less than the price of the Vanage. What do any of you think? Aching to go tubular.
With the money saved, you can probably pick up a nice Tube Amp that you are looking to add.

For me and my tastes, I always liked the Aeon and Odyssey as the best of the Hybrid Lineup.

Dan

Marlin, the fact that your "aching to go tubular" might wheigh in on your choice since a moderately powerd tube amp will do a far better job with the Vantage's than it would with Aeon's and a sub, I would think. Also be sure to consider room size and your normal listening levels.

Last edited:
Room size is 12x18' set with the width of the room. Listening levels are moderate to loud, music selection is most everything but Rap and Opera.
I am currently using a Carver 1.0 amp with 200W into 8 Ohms and C2 pre-amp in stereo mode. The Carver doesn't lack for power and will do better that the Vantages are a 4 Ohm load versus 8 Ohms with Scenarios.

I can't do speakers and amp both this time around. When I get to it what kind of power output will be required?
What brand of tube amps would be recommended?
What are the pros and cons of tubular power?
Are some designs of tube products better that others?
I have a million more questions. Where is a good source of un-biased info?

Aeon and Depth or even Grotto will give you better over all performance in my opinon. Vantage sure looks good though. :)

marlin said:
Room size is 12x18' set with the width of the room. Listening levels are moderate to loud, music selection is most everything but Rap and Opera.
I am currently using a Carver 1.0 amp with 200W into 8 Ohms and C2 pre-amp in stereo mode. The Carver doesn't lack for power and will do better that the Vantages are a 4 Ohm load versus 8 Ohms with Scenarios.

I can't do speakers and amp both this time around. When I get to it what kind of power output will be required?
Hola Marlin. I think that there is no ML with 8 ohm nominal impedance. The nominal impedance for the Scenario is 6 ohms and at high frequency is 2 ohms. The stat panel behaviour is the same as the other models. The impedance drops like a brick at high frequencies so with them too, you need a good quality, high current amplifier...happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

marlin said:

Marlin, from experience with Carver products(which was never pleasent) they didn't handle "reactive" loads very well, give them a "resistive' load and they could brag with the best. keep in mind that Planar / ESL speakers tend to present "reactive" (impendece swings beyond the nominal) challenges to ones amp.

As far as recomendations for tube gear, it's simple, being a "newbie' stick with quality known companies such as Audio Research, Conrad Johnson,Cary,BAT to name but a few.

FWIW take a look at the various other forums. Hopefully some of the other "bottlehead" members will chime in here with their two cents as well.

If stereo's your game then the Vantage is the name. True, you could go for the sub and Aeon, but realistically, you dont need a sub with the vantage. Also, the vantage is self powered so large power outputs are not neccessary (as they would be for the Aeon). So you could invest in a low wattage tube amp. I suggest Hovland. Pricey, but used you can get one for 5k. And theyre damn sexy.

Back