Aeon (non-I) to Ascent I upgrade?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolfin

Reaction score
So, here's the question.... how much better are Ascent I's than the Aeon's?

I have the chance to upgrade mine (maybe keep the Aeon's for a 7.1 setup or something). Just looking for anyone that has heard both the Aeon's and the Ascent's and give some feedback on if the upgrade is worthwhile.

I started out with regular Aeon's and now have Ascent i's. They are a lot better. Much fuller sound - of course they take up more room so the WAF is lower (unless you have piano black)

I've used the Aeon, Aeon i and Ascents. The Aeons are good but you'll definitely notice a fuller sound and more extended bass with the Ascents. They are also a much larger speaker.

I started out with regular Aeon's and now have Ascent i's. They are a lot better. Much fuller sound - of course they take up more room so the WAF is lower (unless you have piano black)

Divorced, so that's a non-issue. :D Next full time woman is going to be an audiophile.... period. :rocker:

Hi Dolfin,

Don't mean to jump in on your thread. I too have the opportunity to upgrade from Aeon i. Would you guys go for the Ascent i or Vista? Amp is not an issue as I have a Classe CAV-500 capable of 500 wpc at 4 ohm. But I do have an issue with placement. I only have about one foot of space behind each speaker and one foot of space from the side wall for the right speaker. Speakers will be spaced 8-ft apart and listening from 11-ft back.

Not an exact match, but I have literally just upgraded from Aerius' to Ascents this weekend. As far as I can gather, the Aeons pretty much superseeded the Ariuses, so I reckon the comparison won't be too far off.

The Ascents do everything that my Aeriuses did, just more so. Everything's higher, wider, deeper and sharper with the Ascents. The physical size difference alone means that the Ascents can project a broader soundstage that seems completely effortless. The crossover point is 150hz lower than the Aerius/Aeons (250hz as opposed to 400hz), because the bigger the panel, the greater its frequency response.

As much as anything else, this means that with the Ascents, sounds within that extended frequency range are better integrated with everything north of that region. Added to that, the woofer cone diameters are 2" bigger - and so they can go much lower.

That's not to say that there's anything wrong with the Aeriuses - far from it. They're great speakers - and to some degree, that's why it's difficult explaining why their bigger brothers are better. But it'll all make sense when you hear the Ascents.

As far as placement goes, you'd be surprised what you can achieve with room treatments. The Ascents have a switch on them so that the bass speaker can be attuned to the room (to a point - it lets you chose between a flat response and -3db), so that can help. But the brightness of the panels that might be overwhelming you in a small room with shiny walls.

I don't have the world's largest living space, and the Ascents are less than a foot from the back wall and two feet from the sides (with four foot between them). Seating is five feet from the speakers - like I say, not huge. But I have curtains behind the panels, and various other bits of furniture act as rudimentary acoustic treatments. No, the area isn't ideal, but the speakers still sound phenomenal.

Hope some of that helps. Oh, and if you can afford it, you won't regret moving up.

Neil

Just an update on this.... I won the auction on ebay for the Ascent I's (got em for 1675$!!!!). Will be picking them up this week sometime.

Thanks again for all of the advice and proper kicks to the pants that I needed to make this decision. :bowdown:

Dolfin,
I just upgraded from SL3s to Ascents. I'm very happy with the Ascents. The hair on the back of my neck stood up when I first listened to them. You'll be very happy.

Just an update on this.... I won the auction on ebay for the Ascent I's (got em for 1675$!!!!). Will be picking them up this week sometime.

Thanks again for all of the advice and proper kicks to the pants that I needed to make this decision. :bowdown:

Congrats - I find the Ascents a very nice revealing speaker... I find everything about them better than the aeons... particularly stage height...for obvious reasons.... I think you are going to like.... What kind of trim did you get on them?

Back