Aeon Crossover Circuit diagram

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

will

Hi I'm looking to improve the caps in the crossover. I've took the back off and had a look. Some of the caps carrying the marking PA-MKP-FC made in France. I've tried to establish if these are quality caps without success. Does anybody know?
One of the caps is made by ERSE but I cant identify whether this a quality grade or just middle of the road.
I'm also looking for a circiut diagram
Any help would be appreciated.
Regards
Will

will said:
Hi I'm looking to improve the caps in the crossover. I've took the back off and had a look. Some of the caps carrying the marking PA-MKP-FC made in France. I've tried to establish if these are quality caps without success. Does anybody know?
One of the caps is made by ERSE but I cant identify whether this a quality grade or just middle of the road.
I'm also looking for a circiut diagram
Any help would be appreciated.
Regards
Will
Hola Will. ML uses high quality parts as you can see. They are very good high grade quality caps. The cheap ones are made (with all respect) in china or better say in Orient. Conrad Johnson uses caps made in France too and is one of the Rolls Royce like in sound reproduction. Some has change some capacitors, and claim good results...but to be honest, I did tried and it's sound was about the same...no big improovement for what I did pay for the parts. They cost me an arm and a leg!! Also my capacity meter (fluke) was reading almost the same capacity at both new and old parts. I did replace them with the same value parts, no change at the crossover. To my ears, the change in sound quality for what I did pay was not worth it. Hpe this can help...happy listening,
Roberto.

MK Aeon caps

Hi Will,

I have the ML Aeons. Two years ago I decided to upgrade the crossover and replace the caps. IMHO the utilized PA-MKP-FC caps are "good enough" :)
so I replaced only the 100 uF electrolyte cap. in the bass section - with a large 100 uF / 250 V polypropylene cap. To be honest, the sound didn't improve that much, considering the cost of the cap. upgrade. But I fell that the lower midrange after the mod. is a bit more detailed though.

I have also cleaned up the internal cabling and replaced some wires with Tara Labs wire and removed the terminal strips for the panels - both the strip in the compartment just behind panels and the strip on the HV transformer. Instead of the terminal strips, I've used some round Teflon connectors with three gold pins soldered directly on the red, blue and black braided HV wires.

Good luck with your modification(s) and please let the step up circuit and panels discharge before you get your fingers inside ;)

Best Regards

Peter

Back