Advice...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ML4Life

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Hello ML owners! I have a pair of EM-ESL's and have an opportunity to purchase a pair of original Monoliths. I have never heard the monoliths. Is this something I should be consodering or searching for newer models?

Thanks!

One thing I would want to know is how old are the panels on them? If they are 15 years old or more then they probably need new panels. Not sure how much they are, but my Prodigies were about $2800. So if buying them, make sure the price is fair because youll probably want to order new panels as soon as you get them. There is a chance they might have been replaced a time or two, and then you could be golden. The panels have a serial number on them that you can decode and it tells you when they were made. There is a webpage on here somewhere that tells you how to decode it. Maybe someone can post it. I lost the link.

I listened to a pair of the original ML Monoliths back when I was in college in 1988. I think they were running a Threshold class A amplifier and an exotic turn table that vacuumed the vinyl flat to an incredibly heavy platter. They played big band music and a few other things on it. Good memories, but that was over 30 years ago.

as Robert said, panel age and condition are a big consideration.

What amp would u be driving the monoliths with? You will need something pretty beefy, for certain.. I'd be lookin at ML's newer models if I were you.. Easier to live with.. easier to drive.

I couldn't get detail on whether they were replaced or not. I love the retro look. But doesn't seem like it would make sense. Appreciate all the input!

What amp would u be driving the monoliths with? You will need something pretty beefy, for certain.. I'd be lookin at ML's newer models if I were you.. Easier to live with.. easier to drive.

I use 3) Krell FPB 600's to power 3) pair of the Request in my HT; it is up to the job to power Monoliths, with 600 WPC Pure Class A & a regulated power supply.

I understand your thinking; I cannot afford to spend any additional money on newer amps for the system. I sent one amp back to Krell for capacitor replacement, so far. You occasionally see these amps for sale & might catch a bargain.

I also vote for going with a newer ML. The 11A is wonderful even though the CLSII is still great and makes a bigger visual impact. I agree w/ Roberto, the newer ESL offers loads more detail and easier to drive.
Always check w/ Shaun at DaVinci Media as he places notices here periodically of speakers for sale.

Back