Advice on upgrading to an external DAC for music listening from a Sonos Connect

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have both services and run them both with Roon. No complaints here at all. Never have an issue with finding the music I want to play. If one doesn't have the album the other does. And most albums are in different formats for comparison.
Good. Apple is great for me right now, but if I upgrade and get a new streamer/dac then I will end up changing over.

Good to know that neither service has problems with dropping out audio while listening. Napster started going mute while listening. I had to stop the song and start again. It was horrible. It had been good for over 10 years, but recently something went bad there.

Good. Apple is great for me right now, but if I upgrade and get a new streamer/dac then I will end up changing over.

Good to know that neither service has problems with dropping out audio while listening. Napster started going mute while listening. I had to stop the song and start again. It was horrible. It had been good for over 10 years, but recently something went bad there.

The only issue I have with the services is when I'm in my car streaming and my wife plays music at home throughout the house. Tidal/Qobuz can't be used in two location at the same time. Sure I could pay more for a family plan but no thanks. LOL

The only issue I have with the services is when I'm in my car streaming and my wife plays music at home throughout the house. Tidal/Qobuz can't be used in two location at the same time. Sure I could pay more for a family plan but no thanks. LOL
Ok. We have a family plan now on Apple, so I'd do that on the new service too. Both of my daughters use it.

The Lumin D2 seems to be a good choice for me. I will probably call my local hi-fi store and see if they sell that brand and find out what they have.

Does anyone use Tidal or Qobuz? Wonder how you rate their service compared to others. How does the size of the library compare? Do you ever have songs drop out? Dropping out became really bad on Napster and that's why I dropped it and went to Apple. The connection to Apple is much better.

I tried both Qobuz and Tidal highest subscription levels and felt Tidal had a better feel in the app. I also use Amazon Music and Apple Music. Tidal has the best quality with mqa files. Amazon has the best playlists. Apple has artist "essentials" play lists that I really like too. Sonos "stations" just annoyed me with poorly curated selections

Does anyone use Tidal or Qobuz? Wonder how you rate their service compared to others. How does the size of the library compare? Do you ever have songs drop out? Dropping out became really bad on Napster and that's why I dropped it and went to Apple. The connection to Apple is much better.
I've been on Qobuz for maybe 18 months. No issues...

The Lumin D2 seems to be a good choice for me. I will probably call my local hi-fi store and see if they sell that brand and find out what they have.
I have their T2 for my office setup, and I am extremely happy with it. My guess is the D2 will be nearly as good on the sound quality. The UI is great for me. I have some DSD files I run off a USB stick, and I use Qobuz and Tidal natively for high res streamed material. It also runs Spotify, but you have to do that out of the Spotify app which recognizes the Lumin on the network, and allows routing the output to the Lumin.

I bought through Upscale Audio which happens to be near me, about an hour north. They're supposedly one of the largest Lumin dealers in the country, and they recommend a product to improve the power supply, albeit voiding the ability return the unit within 60 days. You might consider this for your D2 if you get it: Sbooster BOTW P&P ECO MKII Power Supply. Actually, they'll sell the power supply pre-installed on their D2 page: Lumin D2 Network Music Player

Re Tidal and Qobuz, no drops on either. I prefer the sound quality of Qobuz, but it's close between them at their best and Tidal might have a better library, though neither is weak on source material.

I have both services and run them both with Roon. No complaints here at all. Never have an issue with finding the music I want to play. If one doesn't have the album the other does. And most albums are in different formats for comparison.

Agree - love hearing albums in different formats. Quite often of course, different formats come from different masters, so the higher resolution version is not guaranteed to sound the best.

I have their T2 for my office setup, and I am extremely happy with it. My guess is the D2 will be nearly as good on the sound quality. The UI is great for me. I have some DSD files I run off a USB stick, and I use Qobuz and Tidal natively for high res streamed material. It also runs Spotify, but you have to do that out of the Spotify app which recognizes the Lumin on the network, and allows routing the output to the Lumin.

I bought through Upscale Audio which happens to be near me, about an hour north. They're supposedly one of the largest Lumin dealers in the country, and they recommend a product to improve the power supply, albeit voiding the ability return the unit within 60 days. You might consider this for your D2 if you get it: Sbooster BOTW P&P ECO MKII Power Supply. Actually, they'll sell the power supply pre-installed on their D2 page: Lumin D2 Network Music Player

Re Tidal and Qobuz, no drops on either. I prefer the sound quality of Qobuz, but it's close between them at their best and Tidal might have a better library, though neither is weak on source material.
Thanks. I saw that powder supply and it looks like something I might do. Im going to inquire here at my local store to see if they sell the brand, but I doubt they do. Its always nice to buy locally to support the business and it makes it a lot easier for taking things in for repair or return. If not, I may just buy from Upscale Audio.

You had a good experience with Upscale it seems? The 3 year warranty that Lumin offers is good through them? When I look on the Lumin site, I dont see Upscale Audio listed. Makes me nervous. Lumin says you can order direct from them as well.

Agree - love hearing albums in different formats. Quite often of course, different formats come from different masters, so the higher resolution version is not guaranteed to sound the best.
I also find that remasters of some songs are just terrible, and the original sounds so much better. Sometimes it just feels like a crap shoot.

@Robert D, I see them on the Lumin site. They're listed as a "Showcase Dealer."

First, I totally agree with buying locally. Start there. But if that doesn't work for you, they're a great resource and the US Distributor for them says they're just a great group of people. I actually picked up my T2 from the distributor in San Clemente, after they processed the purchase through their store. (I picked up on a holiday weekend in the heart of the pandemic, and Upscale wasn't open due to the combination. Rather than having to wait, I was cleared to "will call" the unit.)

I've also bought a number of tubes from Upscale, and some other items as well. They've been fantastic.

Attachments

• Lumin.jpg
    Lumin.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 3
@Robert D, I see them on the Lumin site. They're listed as a "Showcase Dealer."

First, I totally agree with buying locally. Start there. But if that doesn't work for you, they're a great resource and the US Distributor for them says they're just a great group of people. I actually picked up my T2 from the distributor in San Clemente, after they processed the purchase through their store. (I picked up on a holiday weekend in the heart of the pandemic, and Upscale wasn't open due to the combination. Rather than having to wait, I was cleared to "will call" the unit.)

I've also bought a number of tubes from Upscale, and some other items as well. They've been fantastic.
Did you get that power supply upgrade? Do you think it was worth the added expense?

Did you get that power supply upgrade? Do you think it was worth the added expense?
Not yet... but I have it in a cart right now. I might just place the order, though I'm a quite busy and probably can't install it for another few weeks at a minimum.

Edit: okay, it's ordered. But I can't give any useful feedback for awhile. The price they charge for it if you combine it with the D2 is basically the cost of the hardware, so they essentially install it for free.

Last edited:
I can connect the Lumin D2 direct to my Aragon 2 channel amp by using the balanced outputs, and at the same time have the RCA jacks of the amp connected to my receiver? I would be using the Lumin player separate from the Marantz, so the Marantz wouldnt even be turned on. Thinking I will get better sound that way rather than running the sound signal through my receiver using RCA and then back out to the amp. The amp is what I use for stereo sound on my Prodigy speakers. My receiver does not have balanced outputs/inputs.

Just thinking, how would the power to the amp be triggered on and off? I guess I would have to have a trigger running out from the Lumin just like from the Marantz? Not sure how I would do 2. Maybe I would have to have the Marantz turned on?

Would the signal alone from the Lumin be enough to turn the amp on?

Last edited:
Its looking like if I bypass the receiver and go direct with the balanced outputs, I would just need to push the power button on the front of my amp to get it on. Doesnt appear that it would come on unless it gets a signal from that 12v trigger? Pressing the power button isnt a big deal I suppose. Just worries me about wearing it out eventually. Suppose I could just have the Marantz receiver turned on so that the Aragon amp is on.

Anyone have experience with this?

Last edited:
Trying to figure out what kind of wires to order for it. RCA or balanced. I dont have extra of either here so need to order. I figure I will get some wireworld wires.

Ended up ordering the Lumin D2 from Upscale Audio. The guy on the phone was real nice and answered all of my questions.

Sorry I don't have any experience with that hybrid configuration Robert. Did Upscale clarify for you how to use both pairs of inputs to the amp?

I've been using Wireworld Eclipse 8 balanced wires with mine, but that's mostly due to a full balanced path from T2 to preamp to amps. They seem to be not insanely priced wires with an excellent reputation.

Sorry I don't have any experience with that hybrid configuration Robert. Did Upscale clarify for you how to use both pairs of inputs to the amp?

I've been using Wireworld Eclipse 8 balanced wires with mine, but that's mostly due to a full balanced path from T2 to preamp to amps. They seem to be not insanely priced wires with an excellent reputation.
Yeah, I ordered some. Upscale said that I could indeed run balanced directly to the amp, the Lumin acts as the pre amp. He said a customer with a $30,000 plus system felt like this configuration sounded better than when running through his nice pre amp. So I won't have both connected to the Lumin at the same time. I will switch between the 2 and test. Both RCA and balanced can be connected to the amp at the sane time I believe. Just can't have them both inputting signals at the same time. I won't turn them both on at the same time.

If the direct connection with balanced doesn't sound better than running RCA through the receiver, then I will just run it through the receiver.

I ordered some RCAs too, so will test both. He wants me to call back and report the results.

Latest posts

Back