Advice on upgrading to an external DAC for music listening from a Sonos Connect

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert D

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
How about a DAC just for running my Sonos Connect into and then output analog to my Marantz reciever. Right now I am just running the Sonos directly by optical into the receiver and using the internal DAC in the receiver. I think I could get a much better sound using an exteranal DAC? Im not wanting to spend $$ if using the external DAC doesn't produce a noticeable improvement while spending $1500 or less.

I did some looking around and this one got good reviews, and is affordable. Anyone ever use this device? I have zero experience with external DAC because Ive always used just what the receiver has.

ARES II | denafrips Got great reviews

DacMagic 200M - Digital to Analogue Converter | Cambridge Audio US Got good reviews and is only $500. Ares II supposed to have a better sound though.

Maybe there are some out there for $1500 or less that sound better?

Hey Robert where are you located in the world? I have a Cambridge DacMagicPlus and an iFi Zen DAC Signature V2 just lying around doing nothing. If you are in the US and shipping isn't horrible I'd be willing to ship them to you to try out in your system for free. This way you can hear each DAC Sound Signature per Brand and how it changes the sound in your system before buying something. Let me know.

Also for around $1500 I'd go with a used Chord Qutest. In fact there is a new one listed on Audiogon for $1599 right now.

I've had these 3 brands in my system and yes the Chord cost more but the Chord also blew them out of the water by a lot. And with the addition of the Lumin U1 Mini it was a Beast that stood up against the PS Audio when I had it and for half the price.

Hey Robert where are you located in the world? I have a Cambridge DacMagicPlus and an iFi Zen DAC Signature V2 just lying around doing nothing. If you are in the US and shipping isn't horrible I'd be willing to ship them to you to try out in your system for free. This way you can hear each DAC Sound Signature per Brand and how it changes the sound in your system before buying something. Let me know.

Also for around $1500 I'd go with a used Chord Qutest. In fact there is a new one listed on Audiogon for $1599 right now.

I've had these 3 brands in my system and yes the Chord cost more but the Chord also blew them out of the water by a lot. And with the addition of the Lumin U1 Mini it was a Beast that stood up against the PS Audio when I had it and for half the price.
Thanks for the offer of a free trial. I may take you up on that perhaps. I live in Ohio.

The Chord I think would be the top of my cost range but certainly not beyond reason. Thanks for that recommendation. So you're not using it now? You're using the PS Audio now?

Wonder how the Chord compares to the Denafrips Ares 2.

I like how Denafrips sells direct to the consumer on the site. I feel a little more piece of mind when I do that. I don't see a way to do that with the Chord. The Denafrips is about $500 less.

Found this place for the Chord new. Chord Qutest Standalone DAC

I've not looked at Audiogon.

Great video here of a guy comparing the two. He goes for the Ares 2 overall because of price. One thing he points out is that the Ares 2 has its own internal linear power supply and the qutest does not. He describes the sound of the qutest as more analytical and accurate, so folks liking that would prefer it.

I notice how fast the price on this hardware has been going up!

The Ares 2 is now $1150.

Last edited:

Did you ever just stream music direct into a pre amp or receiver like I do? Wondering how you felt when you stepped things up to an external DAC.

I personally would look at a Black Ice (formally Jolida) I have a pimped Glass fx DSD, and it's superb. Tried many dacs with my pimped Node2 (psu mod & external SBooster LPS) Quetest, RME ADI-2, Border Patrol. Its wasn't until I got my original mk1 Jolida Glass fx dac that I felt I'd actually got a good upgrade in SQ. I subsequently got it pimped by the original UK importer (no longer available in the UK) and then moved upto my current Black Ice DSD which I again got pimped. Not that it wasn't very very good out of the box, its just the guy I use really does take it to the another level.

Thanks for the offer of a free trial. I may take you up on that perhaps. I live in Ohio.

The Chord I think would be the top of my cost range but certainly not beyond reason. Thanks for that recommendation. So you're not using it now? You're using the PS Audio now?

Wonder how the Chord compares to the Denafrips Ares 2.

I like how Denafrips sells direct to the consumer on the site. I feel a little more piece of mind when I do that. I don't see a way to do that with the Chord. The Denafrips is about $500 less.

Found this place for the Chord new. Chord Qutest Standalone DAC

I've not looked at Audiogon.

So I sold the PS Audio and went with a Moon Streamer for awhile. Then I took that out and I've been using the Holo Audio May KTE for a few months. But that is soon to be replaced by the dCS Bartok.

As far as what I have used for Streaming; I've tried everything possible with my setup. Tried ATV4K into my Marantz, tested a Mac Mini and an iPad Pro into my Marantz. I've used a Bluesound Node, Raspberry PI, Mac Mini, Lumin U1 Mini, and a Sonore Signature Rendu SEoptical for sources into multiple DAC's in my rig.

I guess I lucky I have the 1st gen Sonos connect because ,from what ive read in several reviews, the new zone player doesn't sound as good. I forget why, but there are some better components in the original.

I personally would look at a Black Ice (formally Jolida) I have a pimped Glass fx DSD, and it's superb. Tried many dacs with my pimped Node2 (psu mod & external SBooster LPS) Quetest, RME ADI-2, Border Patrol. Its wasn't until I got my original mk1 Jolida Glass fx dac that I felt I'd actually got a good upgrade in SQ. I subsequently got it pimped by the original UK importer (no longer available in the UK) and then moved upto my current Black Ice DSD which I again got pimped. Not that it wasn't very very good out of the box, its just the guy I use really does take it to the another level.
This is it?

https://bigearstereo.com/product/black-ice-audio-fx-dac-dsd-wifi/#sidewidgetarea
Only thing I notice is there is no balanced output Jack's. I don't need them now, but may want to in the future.

How about a DAC just for running my Sonos Connect into and then output analog to my Marantz reciever. Right now I am just running the Sonos directly by optical into the receiver and using the internal DAC in the receiver. I think I could get a much better sound using an exteranal DAC? Im not wanting to spend $$ if using the external DAC doesn't produce a noticeable improvement while spending $1500 or less.

I did some looking around and this one got good reviews, and is affordable. Anyone ever use this device? I have zero experience with external DAC because Ive always used just what the receiver has.

ARES II | denafrips Got great reviews

DacMagic 200M - Digital to Analogue Converter | Cambridge Audio US Got good reviews and is only $500. Ares II supposed to have a better sound though.

Maybe there are some out there for $1500 or less that sound better?

I’m using a Sonos Port with a Schitt Modi 3 and very happy with the result. Only cost you $99. Of course this is not what I would choose to use with my Martin Logan 13As But works very well for my whole house distributed system.

I’m using a Sonos Port with a Schitt Modi 3 and very happy with the result. Only cost you $99. Of course this is not what I would choose to use with my Martin Logan 13As But works very well for my whole house distributed system.
So you have one for each zone player, or did you fix up something where it all runs through the sane DAC? I've got 3 players for the house zones and one I use on my main stereo.

So you have one for each zone player, or did you fix up something where it all runs through the sane DAC? I've got 3 players for the house zones and one I use on my main stereo.

no. Just one Sonos Port into the Schit Modi 3 into an OLD 1999 Bose Lifestyle 2 zone system. One zone is to its own speaker cubes in one room, zone 2 into a 1999 Nutone intercom system that runs through the house and newly replaced Polk ceiling speakers in two rooms and 1999 Bose in wall speakers behind my Martin Logans. Quite a mess to describe but works well and sound is good for background / non critical listening. As the sonos Port is so inexpensive the Schit Modi makes sense. And I really appreciate the Sonos app and infrastructure. I have Sonos arc with sub and fives in my TV room, sonos ones in two other rooms. Sonos does an amazing job making sure the sound timing matches exactly everywhere. I like the Sonos app way better than the BluOS app I use with my Martin Logans in the music room. With Sonos I can be anywhere on my 1 acre property and control the music from where I am. Bluos I have to be right in front of my martin Logan‘s.

no. Just one Sonos Port into the Schit Modi 3 into an OLD 1999 Bose Lifestyle 2 zone system. One zone is to its own speaker cubes in one room, zone 2 into a 1999 Nutone intercom system that runs through the house and newly replaced Polk ceiling speakers in two rooms and 1999 Bose in wall speakers behind my Martin Logans. Quite a mess to describe but works well and sound is good for background / non critical listening. As the sonos Port is so inexpensive the Schit Modi makes sense. And I really appreciate the Sonos app and infrastructure. I have Sonos arc with sub and fives in my TV room, sonos ones in two other rooms. Sonos does an amazing job making sure the sound timing matches exactly everywhere. I like the Sonos app way better than the BluOS app I use with my Martin Logans in the music room. With Sonos I can be anywhere on my 1 acre property and control the music from where I am. Bluos I have to be right in front of my martin Logan‘s.
Yeah, I've been using Sonos since 2008. Still using the original units and they work! I'm listening to a Sonos 5 now in my home gym. It's from around 2009 or so. All my stuff is 1st gen.

I have an 8 channel amp in the basement hooked up to 3 Sonos Connect zone players.Then a separate zone player plugged into my main stereo in the family room. 1 zone for the study, 1 for patio, and one for the basement. Got 2 channels still open if I ever add another zone. It was nice building the new home and wiring for everything before hand. Got ethernet wired in many of the rooms too.

There are so many great DACs, and many have been recommended already.

So I'll talk about the other end of the equation. The Sonos Connect is not the greatest streaming device.

I mean, it is one of the best in terms of streaming quality and interface, but it only has cruddy S/PDIF outputs (correct me if I'm wrong) and I believe the Sonos architecture still doesn't do anything particularly high res or DSD.

So - no harm in upgrading the DAC - you should get some great improvements. But to fully exploit what streaming has to offer, you need to look into devices that can do higher res (and make sure you get a DAC with a async USB input so that you can take advantage of that at a later stage - ie almost any DAC made in the last 10 years).

Here is the back panel, so it has several options for connections. Im not sure what streamers guys use that are under $1000 that are better than this. Here is the manual:
Sonos CONNECT Manual - usermanual.com
It supports quite a few formats.

" Support for compressed MP3, AAC (without DRM), WMA without DRM
(including purchased Windows Media downloads), AAC (MPEG4), AAC+,
Ogg Vorbis, Apple Lossless, Flac (lossless) music files, as well as
uncompressed WAV and AIFF files.
Native support for 44.1kHz sample rates. Additional support for 48kHz,
32kHz, 24kHz, 22kHz, 16kHz, 11kHz, and 8kHz sample rates. MP3 supports
all rates except 11kHz and 8kHz"

I use it with Apple Lossless now. I dont really play anything other than streaming from Apple now. I could play off my pc since its networked, but have only done it a few times.

sonos-connect-back.jpg

Ive seen review comparing the Blue Sound zone players and the ones I read said that the Sonos sounded better. The old Sonos like mine supposedly sounds better than the new one.

What is another brand I could pick up for $1000 or under that would be as user friendly and sound better than this? Im guessing I would have to spend a lot more $$$?

WIth looking at buying a DAC, the two together would be over $2000. Just trying to keep the price reasonable for us. My wife gets pissed if I spend a lot,lol.

Latest posts

Back