Adding a sub woofer with a pair of 15As

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Rascal, I didn't make any specific reference but, I am curious, how others have chosen their positions.

When I typed it I was thinking of TiBoneFramer and his 9 sub theater room though.

Out of curiosity, how have you made your choice of location for your subs?

Easy one, smash them where they fit ;-)
Sorry Rascal, I didn't make any specific reference but, I am curious, how others have chosen their positions.

When I typed it I was thinking of TiBoneFramer and his 9 sub theater room though.

Jokes aside - there is whole science behind multi-sub placement and lot of theories how you can do it - Velti, Geddes ….

I combine PWBS Neumann planar wave - which asks for spacing of subs across the front wall (I also utilize esl13) which creates tactile sensation and even energy distribution and bit of Geddes appoach.

You need also to take care for acoustics, but most importantly you need really powerful DRC and know what you are doing - means being handy with REW, understand at least some basics of acoustics etc.

2 in each corner and one directly behind the MLP. Work in progress though. Just got the 15As so those come next.

BTW if I may....
ML ESLs make the Best. home theatre. Maybe not for every seat, but the important ones cannot be beat by a cone driver.

Ya'll are welcome to disagree but my ears will not be as happy with anything else

TiBF, I'm not looking to tell anyone what they hear or want to hear.
I only posed the question of how, those of you that were talking about the subs in their rooms, chose the placement, nothing more.

I'm a firm believer that, your system should sound the way you want it to. Not how someone else thinks it should be.

I only posed the question of how, those of you that were talking about the subs in their rooms, chose the placement, nothing more.
A few years ago I completely mapped my room by moving a single subwoofer around and logging every square foot. After a couple weeks of trials and comparisons I chose the best ten or so spots and got that down to 4. One spot is under a dining table, and, it brought along some timing issues - probably due to being under a solid surface, so seat to seat was compromised.

So, I settled on 3 spots. Actually, it's 2 specific spots in front, and a third area in the rear of the room where the actual spot can vary depending on how I use the front 2 spots and what the third is helping with. Multipurpose rooms can be challenging.

I'm currently having fun trying a new configuration. It'll be a week or two more to find out how much I like it and then post about what I discover.

Last edited:
A few years ago I completely mapped my room by moving a single subwoofer around and logging every square foot.
Putting the single sub at your listening spot and moving around a microphone or your ears is supposed to be easier. Not that I've tried even that.

Putting the single sub at your listening spot and moving around a microphone or your ears is supposed to be easier.
I started with that for the first couple days. It became easier to move the sub and get rock solid results for comparison. My issue with placing a sub in the seat is, how high should it be? I never was interested enough to find out. The Sub Crawl method has its merits though, because it can quickly give a rough idea what's going on. What I ended up doing was to run RTA in REW with the sub on the seat, then move the mic around while refreshing the RTA plot. That showed big problems quickly. It just wasn't good enough with detail, which is what I was after.

That experience taught me a lot about my room and became the basis for sub arrangement ideas to come later.

That experience also showed me that the subs I had at the time were not an ideal match for the Expressions. The subs worked well with my previous speakers, Vista, but they needed much more help in the low bass. Once I had ML subs in the system everything changed for the better from day one. I bought a couple, then bought some more.

Back