Added new baby MLs to the family

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

18000rpm

Reaction score
Found a pair of Motion 4 for a good price today so upgraded my computer speakers.

sYYILyG.jpg

Initial impression is somewhat underwhelming. After reading reviews I was expecting a bit more. It doesn't have the detail and dynamics of ML panels IMO. They are powered by an Audio Refinement Complete integrated amp. Still happy with the upgrade for my work-from-home setup and definitely pretty good for their size and the price I paid.

They now join my music listening station (Summits, YBA Integré Passion integrated amp):

yEJH8Yz.jpg

And my main system (Prodigy, Aeon i, Descent with Bryston 4B SST/Emotiva UPA amps):

VWnAp7m.jpg

(Speaker placements not ideal but I only care about the 1 good seat in the middle! Calibrated with REW.)

Yes I love my MartinLogans!

Okay after playing with them a bit more they actually sound pretty good - has that sparkle at the high end, and bass extension is surprising for such a small speaker (even though it only goes down to 70Hz).

I replaced my banana plugs with bare wire because the banana plugs feel loose in the posts, and also played with the toe-in. Toeing them out helped quite bit to make them sound less "boxy" and localized.

They are LOUD. Almost unbearably loud at 15% volume on my Complete amp. I guess due to it being near-field, 2-3 feet from my ears.

The Summit/YBA room looks like an intense near field listening experience. How does that compare to your big room?
Also notice the BT Audio engine receiver. Those are amazing. I got one to dip my toe into streaming my Amazon HD in the simplest way possible and was floored by the quality.
Congrats-Music everywhere-love it.

The Summit/YBA room looks like an intense near field listening experience. How does that compare to your big room?
Also notice the BT Audio engine receiver. Those are amazing. I got one to dip my toe into streaming my Amazon HD in the simplest way possible and was floored by the quality.
Congrats-Music everywhere-love it.

Thanks!

Oh that cushion in front of the Summits is actually the footrest, the actual seat is a few feet back.

The Audioengine B1 Bluetooth receiver works great and sounds pretty good, until I discovered some of the Chinese DACs with built-in Bluetooth like the SMSL M400 I use in the main system. That sounds phenomenal. I use that to play hi-res music, DSD and MQA.

IMO Prodigy+Descent sounds better than Summit, with a bigger soundstage and mellower sound. Anyway the Prodigy is so massive it wouldn't fit in my listening room.

Dude!! You own too many Martin Logan Speakers. I will gladly take a pair of those big guys off of your hands. I'm sure you are tired of dusting them all off. Let me lighten your load. I could swing $2000 for the pair of big ones beside the big TV. I know, I'm being a very good guy by offering to lighten your dusting duties!
Seriously, I have to say your are seriously equipped with ML speakers. Congrats on your purchases. I am impressed!!

I'm into pc gaming and have a 5.1 setup for my gaming in the study. I recently bought some Definitive fronts and center. The sound great. I use Polk for the 12 inch sub and the surrounds. Little speakers like yours are plenty when you sit so close. My sub ruffles my pants when it goes off sometimes, and vibrates the floor under my feet. Its cool when in the game you are driving a car or tank. Feels real.

I've always wanted to try Maggies but somehow never owned a pair. That desktop Maggie looks sweet but I only paid the equivalent of US$210 for my pair of Motion 4 so I'm satisfied :)

Before I owned MLs I was using a set of Definitive Technology Mythos 1 2 3. Pretty good speakers too. They looked gorgeous (polished aluminum with a glass base) and had incredibly high WAF.

I game too (we have a lot in common!) and it's pretty cool playing sim racing on the 84-inch 4K TV with surround sound from the MLs:

95217599_224403828864810_8549667126510007667_n.jpg

Dude!! You own too many Martin Logan Speakers. I will gladly take a pair of those big guys off of your hands. I'm sure you are tired of dusting them all off. Let me lighten your load. I could swing $2000 for the pair of big ones beside the big TV. I know, I'm being a very good guy by offering to lighten your dusting duties!
Seriously, I have to say your are seriously equipped with ML speakers. Congrats on your purchases. I am impressed!!

:LOL:

Unfortunately you're offering to take away crack from an addict.

Back