acoustic panels summits

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar1

Reaction score
is it advisable to put one 24x48x1” acoustic panel behind each summit or should i go smaller and us more than one panel. my summits are 50” from the front wall and 7’ apart and i have electric 108” screen that will go over the panels when lowered. also there’s a window with venetian blinds in between the summits on the front wall should that be covered also? this setup is for music listening only. thanks

A single large one is preferable.

As for the window, maybe some heavy drapes with a blackout element as well will help with light management as well as add a bit of dampening to deal with any reflected energy from the screen.

I assume the screen is an acoustically transparent one, right?

I have an almost similar situation.

I ended up filling my window area with acoustic ceiling panels and foam rubber flooring cut to size and covered it all with 3/4" plywood. Just scrap stuff lying around until I got my pickup truck brakes fixed so I could make trips to Home Depot.

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/kach22is-system.30259/
kach22i-stereo-sub1.jpg
20200809_172428.jpg

The blinds were still causing issues as a flat front wall behind the speakers is best, so a large felt cloth was tacked over the blinds.

Temporary, but it is an improvement.

My opinion and opinion of a well respected member on What's Best is front wall should be smooth and solid with no acoustic treatment.

One inch acoustic panel is not full range and will only treat some upper frequencies. 8-inches and deeper will be full range absorption.

Irregularities on the front wall will shift time domain in an unpredictable manner.

My current irregularities are minor and liveable.

An experiment with a large painting canvas backed with wool blankets was playing havoc with the center-stage. Panels behind the speakers themselves are likely to be even worse.

20200501_192001.jpg

A single large one is preferable.

As for the window, maybe some heavy drapes with a blackout element as well will help with light management as well as add a bit of dampening to deal with any reflected energy from the screen.

I assume the screen is an acoustically transparent one, right?
no the screen is not transparent !

Latest posts

Back