Acheiving best musical sound from Summits

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kal_s said:
Hi Roberto, Jeff
Thanks for your inputs! Much as I suspected, the hum is something that is an abnormality and most likely a transformer that is loose at the morrings as Roberto points out. Roberto, I am still evaluating if I should go ahead and buy the MF2500A. I have been looking at serveral sellers offerings, the local one was the obvious choice, but that's the one with the humming problem :(
The seller from out of state will ship for a fee but I am scared it would not travel too well... but after hearing your enthusiastic recommendation, I feel I might take the plunge after all!
If I could ask yet another question of you gentlemen, what sort of pre-amp and interconnects do you use? I have no clue what would match the CJ MF2500A and ML Aerius combo ... any pointers woudl be appreciated. I am not much of a tube guy, don't care about vinyl (all sources are pure digital: redbook CD or SACD). Also, I have ambitions of evolving to a HT system: so should I look at pre-processor type devices?

Thanks much,
---Kal

Hola Kal...most CJ amplifiers uses CMOS FETs at the out put stage...why? Because they are the closest semiconductor to a valve. So try to get a tube pre amp...there are a lot of great sounding used too pre amps starting from CJs. One of the best CJs was their PV-5, very old but very good sounding. PV-12 was another great. The PV-10 is one the less expensive and very good sounding preamp also. ARC is another company with super great sounding preamps...Cary Audio, Sonic Frontiers, Blue Circle, Margules Audio, Audible Illusion, BAT, and VAC are a few companies were you could try to find and in the price range that you a re looking for. On the other hand, if you want SS, then CJ, ARC, Bryston, Classe, Blue Circle, Bell Canto, Audio Analogue, Levinson. Trust your ears and choose the one that you like most...hope this can help...happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Kal,
Tough question for sure. I do think a tube preamp will match really well with the CJ MF2500A. I do have a tube pre-amp and it is a CJ. I bought a used, Premier 17LS and am quite pleased with the pre-amp and the sound.
There are many good pre-amps out there and it is a matter of features, money and the sound of these. I would recommend trying a few and do not be afraid to try some used ones also.
The dealer I bought mine from is a CJ delear but I am sure there must be one up there if not I can let him know you are looking.

Good luck

Jeff :cool:

My results are very similar to Spike's. My ReQuest's sound much better with a 70/watt per channel Conrad Johnson premier 11a than the 250 watt per channel Hafler on the panels. Much more beautiful midrange with the tubes. I have two Hafler 500's so power was not a problem. I use the Hafler on the bottom and tubes on the panels currently. The CJ ran out of gas and didn't have the grunt to do justice in running the ReQuests full range.

I haven't heard any of the current solid state recommendations so can't comment other than I know Plinius gets great press everywhere on their products.

My advice, listen to tubes on the panel if you get a chance.

Have Fun.

Lets hear it for Class "A" SS

Ok, time for the other side of the fence. After having listened to various amps while making and now owning my Vantage's such as Mac, Cary, Jolida, ARC in the tube group; Classe', Pass Labs, Spectral, Rotel, and Plinius in the SS camp.
They all were very good but what made me settle on the Plinius SA-102 was to my ears it did everything the tubes did (In class A mode) yet with better speed and resolution. Keep in mind my pre-amp through all of this is an ARC SP-16 with stock EH 12-AX7's.

All I can say is after four plus months of listening to these "new" panels my ears tell me......good SS Class A is a winner !

Last edited:
tubes offer a very realistic soundstage and mids to die for. that doesn't mean that you need a tube amp to have this effect. i am a stern believer that the sound eminating from a system boils down to the amp. i have tried so many different components that i can stand behind this statement. an amp is the heart of the system, and everything else plays another important role. a really nice company to try is blue circle. they make fantastic products and the designer owns only ml speakers, so his gear is directly made for use. excellent customer service and quality, their amps are either hybrid, tube or ss. they are very nice indeed. i have heard them many times and have always been impressed. i recently heard the summits at my local dealer with the highest-end amp, i will not say which company as i don't want to offend anyone who uses it, but the sound was so piercing and disappointing, that i really think someone would not buy the summits based on the amp being used. i ran back home and powered up my pass labs x250 and sonic nirvana came back. whatever you do, spend your money on a good amp, and then focus on the front end. that is my advice. cheers!!!

Tony I agree with most of which you said but I must stand firm in the belief that it is the Pre-amp that provides the sonic "signature" we either love or not. Truth is it's like a marriage a great amp will NEVER sound it's best without a complimenting pre and visa-versa !!!

I too heard a non-impressive demo on Summitt's last fall, they were being driven by one of the Krell digital integrated amps sounded good at first but fatigue set in mighty quick.

Last edited:
I agree with twich. My experiences suggest that the preamp is the electronic component which most affects overall system voicing. Given the choice between having to choose between a first rank preamp and a second rank amp vs a first rank amp with a second rank preamp I would choose the first rank preamp each and every time.

Back