Absolute Sound article on the Vista

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmschnur

Reaction score
I just received the latest Absolute Sound today. They have a review on the Vista speakers. It is mostly complmentary but the reviewer does find the speaker a bit bass shy in the mid bass region. ~18-350 hz. There is also a nice graph of the impedance load of the speaker from 14 ohms down to 1.7 ohms with lots of bumps and valleys along the way and a discussion of a few amplifiers that might match well with the speaker.

I have Vantages and have found the a very slight bit of equalization in thi mi bass region has helped ( being careful to do not too much to hurt the imaging ony a 1 or 2 dbs) but I was not sure if it was due to the environment or the speaker.

I wonder what the forum has found with the Vista and whether the Vatages powered woofer does a better job in this region.

Joel

My understanding is that the Vantage uses a different woofer than the Vista. The crossovers are different as well. The internal amplifier in the Vantage produces pretty solid bass. I own the Vantage and have heard the Vista a couple of times at dealer showrooms. I noticed that the Vista was a little light in the bass when compared to the Vantage.

Last edited:
yes - and go take a look at the pics - they have pictures of the Vantage....I couldn't believe it. You review a speaker - and put a pic of the Vantage in there. They recently reviewed the Summit & I think the Mosaic??? They didn't exactly 'gush' over the Summit. But, I believe gave it a thumbs up. I really wish they would review the Vantage..or at least compare the Vantage to Summit to Vista... Oh well wishful thinking...

They were pretty complimentary of the summit. Not sure the exact wording, but the guy basically said it was almost impossible to do other stuff while listening, because they were so involving...he had to turn them off if he wanted to get some work done. Maybe not technical, but about the highest praise I'd ask for.

They were pretty complimentary of the summit. Not sure the exact wording, but the guy basically said it was almost impossible to do other stuff while listening, because they were so involving...he had to turn them off if he wanted to get some work done. Maybe not technical, but about the highest praise I'd ask for.

The review may be downloaded from
http://www.avguide.com/products/product-3483/

Damn, forcing me to be precise!

While
the Summits were here, I couldn’t
just cue up some tunes and go sit
down at my computer. They compelled,
commanded me to sit down
and really listen, so much so that
the choice became one of music or
no music—either listen or don’t,
but don’t pretend there’s any inbetween.
That’s as it should be.
Music is inarguably the highest art
form. It bypasses the rational mind
and connects directly to emotions
and the imagination. It deserves
undivided attention. The Summits
make you sit and listen. They connect
you to the heart and soul of
the music in a way that few other
loudspeakers can.

That's what I meant. He then goes on to say

For music lovers shopping
in its price range, it should be at the
top of a very short list. The long-term
happiness potential is excellent.

Sounds pretty rave to me...but I have to agree with him :)

The thing that stood out for me is what he said about the speakers with the Primaluna mono blocs. I have the Aeon I, and I'm wondering if the load would be a problem for them too.:think:

The thing that stood out for me is what he said about the speakers with the Primaluna mono blocs. I have the Aeon I, and I'm wondering if the load would be a problem for them too.:think:

I use PrimaLuna Prologue 7's on my Vista's. The set realy produces music although I would prefer a slightly more controll over the real low end. I will try to biamp the set - using class D amp's for LF - soon and report back

I use PrimaLuna Prologue 7's on my Vista's. The set realy produces music although I would prefer a slightly more controll over the real low end. I will try to biamp the set - using class D amp's for LF - soon and report back

I now use Hypex UCD400AD's on LF and Primaluna's on HF and it is amazing. there is nothing wrong with the Primaluna's LF but the power and control of the Hypex modules is stunning. I almost have an extra octave down and no real use for my subwoofer except in very special cases. Don't like them on HF though, too technical, too little music. But combining the two is realy amazing.

Latest posts

Back