A/V Receivers the good and the just OK

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holmancv

Reaction score
Greetings; I have yet another question. I'm looking to upgrade my receiver for more power and more features, specifically THX. I currently run a Denon 2106 (90w/ch no THX) and I'm looking at a Denon 4806 (140w/ch, THX), a B&K AVR507 (150w/ch no THX) and a Sunfire Ultimate II Receiver (200w/ch no THX). They cost about the same with the Sunfire slightly higher. My questions would be: is THX that big a feature to have? Are there any quality issues? (My Denon has preformed flawlessly.) Is the Sunfire's extra 50 watts worth the $500 differential? I have two main ML Mosaics, a center ML Vignette, Left and Right sides are Definitive Technologies BP 7006 Towers and two Def-Tech BP2s for my rear pair and a Def-Tec Supercube II for a subwoofer. Please share any wisdom you may have and thanks for taking the time to read my post

Craig Holman
Portland, OR
(Steve Wierich Magnolia HI FI)

Last edited:
I upgraded to the 4806 and let me tell you it is one great AVR. Sound, Power, Features etc. If you have any questions let me know.

Taz; thanks for the input. What if any other receivers did you look at? I know this model is made in Japan and that seems to insure a little better quality in other "Japanese" goods. Did the THX influence your decision?

Denon's quality is excellent. I own and have owned many pieces of their gear. I compared this AVR to almost anything thing out their, NAD, Marantz, Rotlel, B&K, Sunfire and more. IMO for the $$$ it can not be beat and the more I play with it the more I am impressed. The sound for an AVR pushes seperates and even exceeds some. A loaded with features. I did like the idea of THX but really my choice boiled down to Sound and Features and that is where this AVR excells THX is a bonus.

Has anyone ever compared higher end AVR's like the Denon 4806 and the Marantz 9600 to some of the lower to midrange separates? I know some people are very unhappy with their AVR and some think it is as good or better than some separates. Anyone had first hand experience comparing AVR's like the above to separates?

I currently have a Marantz 9600 driving Odysseys and wonder if there would be a noticeable difference going to something like an Anthem MCA or sunfire amp.

A/V Receivers vs Seporates...

SuperchargedWS6 said:
Has anyone ever compared higher end AVR's like the Denon 4806 and the Marantz 9600 to some of the lower to midrange separates? I know some people are very unhappy with their AVR and some think it is as good or better than some separates. Anyone had first hand experience comparing AVR's like the above to separates?

I currently have a Marantz 9600 driving Odysseys and wonder if there would be a noticeable difference going to something like an Anthem MCA or sunfire amp.

SuperchargedWS6,

I have had the unfortunate experiance of having perchased a "High End", A/V Reciever, the "Pioneer VSX 59TXi", The problem with my reciever is that it was vastly over rated in the power dept. i. e., 160 per channel... :rolleyes: and what is more, it can not deliver, "Current - peak to peak" or "Ampheres peak to peak" power, which my ML electrostatic pannels require... :cool: It has good processing i. e., DTS, DTS-ES, DTS-EX, NEO, THX, THX Ultra 2, Dolby digital, Dolby digital 2, etc..., but, it is not up-gradable, either.

Since, purchasing the 59 TXi, I have compared / auditon seporates vs AVR's, more closely... I have concluded that seporates - amplifiers, processors have a much higher quality sound, power, processing, over-all flexiblity, than AVR's. IMHO, seporates are an investment for serious long term audio quality. Sooooo, for the time being, I use my, 'Pioneer 59TXi', as a processor and to power my rear channels... :eek: I am look to replacing my AVR, in the future by adding a processor like the, 'Anthem Statement D1' and then later adding tubes to the path, with a tubed preamp after that... :)

Hope this helps.

Cheers

-Robin

HolmanCV,

I am in the same boat as you. I have 4 Mosaics and 3 Frescos. I have done a fair amount of research on this topic. Everyone recommends separates. My budget is ~ 2K. I will be giving the following separates and AVRs (since some of them have received rave reviews):

Seperates:
Outlawaudio.com 990/7125 combo.
Can anyone else recommend others in the 2K range.

AVR’s

HK’s AVR-740 (to be released before Xmas)
Arcam AVR-300

Tarigaad

IMO sometimes we jump on the seperates bandwagon to quickly. I think you really have to look at price point. I have had Rotel seperates and my friend has the new Outlaw setup. My 4806 outperforms both of them. I paid $2200 for my Denon which is less then either of those two setups. Now once you start getting up there in $$$ you can not beat seperates but the tech in these AVR's have come a long way. I have even seen some reveiws of Denon's flagship running with seperates in that $4000-$5000 range. So you need to really look at value for the $$$ in some cases a AVR will outperorm seperates esp. in the lower $ range for seperates. I have heard the Lexicon RV-8 and let me tell you I will put that up aqainst almost any seperates up to and some what higher then its $7000 Retail price. Food for Thought!

I have the Denon 5803 and didn't care for how it sounded. I switched to a Sunfire Ultimate Receiver. Huge improvement over the Denon. I haven't tried seperates yet so I don't have much to add there.

KCWolfPck said:
Just curious....in your opinion, which separates does the Denon outperform?
As I said above I had Rotel and heard my friends Outlaw and also adcom at a dealer. IMO it outperformed all three. And as I said above that are not many other seperates in that price range. So when you listen to seperates that are more then the 4806 I would hope it would perform better but even that is not always the case.

Back