A Tortured Mind...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
What would be my dream Audio / HT system at this point in time? So, I sat down and wrote out, what I would like to add to my system, to bring it into some kind of completeness. What follows is what I've come up with so far after auditioning the below listed gear.

Audio plan:
Two McIntosh MC275 tubed amps (Used).....................$5,000.00
McIntosh MCD201 (Used)...........................................2,000.00
ML Summits (Used)..................................................8,000.00
Total..................................................................$15,000.00

HT Plan:
Anthem D1 (Used)....................................................$3,000.00
Anthem D1 (Refurbished to D2).....................................2,000.00
Sony VPL-VW100 "Ruby" (Front Projector) (New)..............6,500.00
Da-Lite (Da-Snap-wall mount) Sliver, High Power 120" Dia..1,700.00
Sony Blue-Ray player (New).........................................1,000.00
Balanced Cables interconnects(Used).............................1,000.00
Total....................................................................$15,200.00

This is what I've been fantasizing about lately. These audio and HT plans have been weighing on my mind, as to a plan of action, an order of future purchase and implimention. I'm saving about $400.00 per month to make the above additions to my system a reality over the next five years or so. I guess this is my five year plan. I'm not sure, which part persue first the Audio Plan or the HT Plan... What do you guys think? :confused:

Ahhhhhhhhhhh the insatiable wants of us mere mortals !!!!!!!!!!!!! I hear you loud and clear Robin !!! My fear is by the time I reach sonic / audio heaven I'll be soo damn deaf that I'll half to wear one of those "trumpets" like "Blood and Guts McGrath" from the movie "Wild Wild West" !!

Last edited:
Would you be buying up this gear now, and using it in your small room, or would you be putting it away till you have a larger room to use it in?

Unless you can use the front projector now I would hold off on that purchase till last, because at the rate TV’s are progressing, the new version of the ruby could have twice the performance for half the current price in a few years.

The audio equipment dosent progress as fast as the video stuff does, I would start with the Audio gear and go from there. Depending how long your willing to hold off on the D1/D2, in another six months or so you may be able to get a good price on a used D2 on Audiogon.

Blood & Guts McGrath

Dave,

I remember that character on Wild Wild West. :D I'll probably be kinda like that too. ;) All I know is that I will work towards both Audio and HT plan acquisitions. I do know the finial pieces have to be the Sony Ruby Projector and Da-Lite 120" diagonal screen, as these pieces of electronic equipment just will not fit into my small HT room. I'm planning on mounting those two items in my 28'x26' HT room at my home in the state of Washington, at the end of the five year time frame. :cool:

Good luck with your Audio/Video dreams, Robin! I hope you stick the course and purchase whichever you think suits you better... or both!!

;)

Don’t forget rumors are pointing to a new ESL speaker above the summit in the line up. I would say with the way home theater is progressing, anything you can put to use now go ahead and buy, other wise you should hold off till you can, technology is only going to get better from here. You should also ask yourself if your want a state of the art HT? What ever you buy now will only be outdated by time you build your HT room.

My 2 cents. ;)

Wise Advice...

Joey,

Yes, I will be purchasing both the Audio Plan and the HT Plan, in the next five years or so, it could be sooner, if I was to come into some unforseen windfall of money. Thanks for the encouragement, Joey. :)

Joe,

I think your advice is worth considering. Because I agree Aduio is progressing very rapidly. Improving all the time. I've pretty much desided to work on my Audio Plan first. I am going to save-up my first $8,000.00 and then start looking more closely at what's out there as far as technology and deals to be had at that time. :) Thanks for the help and advise, Joe.

The costs will be dropping for your specified items so it could be sooner than you think unless you chage to newerer versions.

Joel

I hope you are right...

jmschnur said:
The costs will be dropping for your specified items so it could be sooner than you think unless you chage to newerer versions.

Joel
Joel,

Yes, I hope you are correct about the prices dropping on my dream list.... :) Unfortunately, I don't plan to up-grade items on my dream list due to budget constraints. I have to stay under $30,000.00(USD).... The only thing, I'm even considering a possible up-grade would be the Sony "Ruby" front projector. As I've been researching front projectors more and it seems that (JonFo's - recommendation) LED or Laser front projectors may not be too far off... As long as they aren't too expensive (under $10,000.00) in five years, it maybe a consideration. ;) Even though I don't have the money yet, I've been checking Audiogon and e-bay regarding my listed items and I'm encouraged by the things I've seen come and go... :eek:

Still I'm encouraged by your positive prediction... Thanks :)

Robin said:
The only thing, I'm even considering a possible up-grade would be the Sony "Ruby" front projector. As I've been researching front projectors more and it seems that (JonFo's - recommendation) LED or Laser front projectors may not be too far off... As long as they aren't too expensive (under $10,000.00) in five years, it maybe a consideration.

If you want the ultimate front projector now, you can get a quality used 9" CRT (like the Sony G90 or Marquee 9500) that will blow the doors off the "Ruby" for probably equal or less money. But sounds like space of your current theatre wouldn't permit that, right? But in a 4-5 years, probably $5,000 will be more than be enough to have one awesome video projector/image that will toast what's on the market today in the DLP/LCD arena (and maybe even CRTs).

Robin said:
HT Plan:
Da-Lite (Da-Snap-wall mount) Sliver, High Power 120" Dia..1,700.00

As a suggestion, you can purchase that same screen new in the basic pull down "B" model for around $300, detach it from the case, and mount in on a nice DIY frame......then take the savings and buy your Blue-Ray player. :D Remember though, that the High Power is designed for a projector that is mounted as close to the same plane of the screen as possible. It's picture image dramatically falls off the farther away the projector is from the center of the screen. Hence, high ceiling mounted PJ's and the High Power is not a good combination--table height or PJ's with a drop down mount are best with that particular screen, IMO.

Last edited:
LaserMark4 said:
As a suggestion, you can purchase that same screen new in the basic pull down "B" model for around $300, detach it from the case, and mount in on a nice DIY frame......then take the savings and buy your Blue-Ray player. :D Remember though, that the High Power is designed for a projector that is mounted as close to the same plane of the screen as possible. It's picture image dramatically falls off the farther away the projector is from the center of the screen. Hence, high ceiling mounted PJ's and the High Power is not a good combination--table height or PJ's with a drop down mount are best with that particular screen, IMO.

I think the word you are looking for here Mark is “retro reflective”.

The hi-power screen is a retro reflective screen, it will beam back the light shot at it in the angle it was shot at. So yes, if you ceiling mount a projector with no drop mount you would loose all your gain because the image is being shot back at the ceiling. You can use a ceiling mount with the hi-power but you need to use a drop mount to position the projector to as close to head level as you can. The hi-power material is not for everyone and you need to consider were you would be mounting your projector; the hi-power is not very forgiving this viewing cone is very narrow, best place for a projector with this screen is table top mounted.

If you have the right setup for a hi-power screen, this material can be very rewarding.

Zip3kx07 said:
I think the word you are looking for here Mark is “retro reflective”.

Yup.....that's the techno version. :)

I have been really pleased with my HighPower using a table height placement. I have experienced minimal hot spotting and color shifting, and the lateral drop-off is also minimal due to my HT being fairly narrow.

If you are wanting extreme punch, the Vutec SilverStar might be an option as well, but definitely more money. It is angular reflective as opposed to retroreflective, which will give you more flexibility in your PJ placement. It will also provide you a bit more lateral viewing angle if you end up with a wide seating arrangement. Color shifting, screen sheen, and hotspotting may be a little more pronounced with this one though.

You can find a fairly thorough (layman's) comparison of several of the top high gain screens here: The High Gain/Exotic Screen Review

Back