A Puzzling Tale - Vista Power Mystery

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alcatrax

Reaction score
Hi

Last night I noticed that the panel on one of my Vistas was not working. The sub was operating, but not the panel, although it was producing a very soft, slightly distorted output. When I unplugged the power cord, the sound stayed exactly the same, so I assumed that for some reason, the panels were not getting any power.

However, the blue LED light on the speakers was working.

I checked the power cord and saw that the connections to the mains plug were very loose, and in fact the Earth lead was completely disconnected from the 3-prong plug. The Live and Neutral leads were very loose.

I tightened up all the cables and plugged the lead back in to the speaker, but the problem remained.

I replaced the lead, but the problem was the same.

I then removed the panel from the speaker to check that the cables to the Electrostatic panel were not loose, but they were fine.

I then removed the power board from the bottom of the speaker to check all the connections, which were fine. I was looking for a fuse on the board and it appeared that there wasn't one, but there was a micro-switch on the board, which I pushed.

I then reassembled the speakers, plugged it all back in and it worked.

I have no idea why.

The "kettle plug" socket on the rear of the speaker looks very flimsy, so possibly that was not making a good connection, but the LED light on the speaker did illuminate. I am thinking that the dodgy mains lead might have caused some protection circuitry in the speaker to activate and by pushing the micro-switch I reset the power board. Apart from that I have no idea what I did right, and would value any input so that I can repeat my success if it happens again.

Many thanks!

Back