A pair of 22 year old SL3's and a lot of Schiit...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im wondering if anyone here has ever had their cat climb their Martin Logan Electrostats.

I had cats climb the grills of some of my other speakers that were not electrostat, but they don't mess with the prodigies.

Oh, our smaller cat likes to climb up and sit on the top. I was told by Martin Logan that the panels can handle it as they did testing by poking things through the panel without a difference in sound quality. As Chops has six, I was seeing if he had any tips.

Oh, our smaller cat likes to climb up and sit on the top. I was told by Martin Logan that the panels can handle it as they did testing by poking things through the panel without a difference in sound quality. As Chops has six, I was seeing if he had any tips.
With the prodigies there really isnt anywhere to sit on the top of the panels, but my cats do sit on top of the lower part the houses the woofer. No harm done there.

Since we no longer de-claw our cats, that's the only reason I never went with another pair of Magnepan speakers. I've been really wanting to get another pair, but not with 60 (120 if you include the rear feet - LOL) razor sharp little fish hooks trolling the joint.

The only thing any of our cats ever do is sit or lay on the woofer enclosure, but they get right back off after a couple minutes.

p3982129194-5.jpg

Those are the stock adjustable spikes. They're actually quite neat as the bases are big cones, yet the adjustable spike itself is almost like a pointed water droplet shape.

I haven't tried any isolation under the SL3's. To use something similar to what I have under the subs, the SL3's would be way too unstable and wobbly.

I would love to get some of those IsoAcoustics Gaia III footers, but not for the prices they want for the darn things. For $400 for two sets, they can keep them. I don't have that kind of cash flow coming through here. LOL
I asked because the IsoAcoustics GAIA feet seem to get great reviews, and since you are so happy with the IsoAcoustics stands under your subs, I thought you might have tried them. I did splurge and buy a couple sets of GAIA II's for my Summits, but before I even installed them, ML decided to have a big sale and I bought my ESL 15A's which would require the GAIA I's to support their weight (BTW, I see IsoAcoustics now builds feet that support up to 620#). Unless I hear someone I trust give them a great review, I don't know that I can possibly justify putting $600/speaker into something like this (then again, I do spend money on high end cables :unsure:). Besides, I am still working on final placement of my speakers, and deciding exactly what I am going to do sub-wise. I really need to get my entire system 'stable' before playing with stuff like this...

I asked because the IsoAcoustics GAIA feet seem to get great reviews, and since you are so happy with the IsoAcoustics stands under your subs, I thought you might have tried them. I did splurge and buy a couple sets of GAIA II's for my Summits, but before I even installed them, ML decided to have a big sale and I bought my ESL 15A's which would require the GAIA I's to support their weight (BTW, I see IsoAcoustics now builds feet that support up to 620#). Unless I hear someone I trust give them a great review, I don't know that I can possibly justify putting $600/speaker into something like this (then again, I do spend money on high end cables :unsure:). Besides, I am still working on final placement of my speakers, and deciding exactly what I am going to do sub-wise. I really need to get my entire system 'stable' before playing with stuff like this...

I am very happy with the iso200sub stands. They do a great job, and I have no doubt the GAIA footers would do an equally good job on SL3's, but I just can't justify the cost of them at $400 for two sets. Plus the fact they only come in sets of four, and I only need three. What would I do with the other two? If they were half the cost, I would get a couple sets. If you still had your GAIA II's and were willing to let them go at a decent discount, I'd definitely consider buying them off of you.

I am very happy with the iso200sub stands. They do a great job, and I have no doubt the GAIA footers would do an equally good job on SL3's, but I just can't justify the cost of them at $400 for two sets. Plus the fact they only come in sets of four, and I only need three. What would I do with the other two? If they were half the cost, I would get a couple sets. If you still had your GAIA II's and were willing to let them go at a decent discount, I'd definitely consider buying them off of you.
Actually, I do still have them (I am just terrible at getting rid of gear which is why I have a basement full of tuners, preamps, power amps, etc). These feet are new and never installed so I will likely be able to trade them in against my next purchase at my purchase price, even though I've had them for awhile. I'll tag you if that doesn't work out though.

BTW, I cracked open the November 2020 issue of Stereophile this morning and in Michael Fremer's Analog Corner monthly column, there is another great review of the IsoAcoustics feet (in the case, the GAIA-TITAN CRONOS under a set of Wilson Alexxes). Fremer has nothing but good things to say about the GAIA's. You'll have to read the article to read all his praise (I tried to find it on the Stereophile site, but no luck). His testing was on carpet over concrete, and when he was summing things up he pointed out that he was 'fairly certain you will hear an improvement that you won't want to give up --- and this is on a concrete floor! On suspended wooden floors, the isolating effects and the improvement in soundstage width and center image focus should be even more profound'. He also writes about 'improvement in low-level detail, resolution, image focus, clarity, bass attack and decay.'

While I couldn't begin to explain what half of those adjectives even mean in my system, some of his comments (especially about wooden floors) seem to be in line with your description about the stands under your subs. Maybe you should consider writing reviews in your spare time! ;)

Actually, I do still have them (I am just terrible at getting rid of gear which is why I have a basement full of tuners, preamps, power amps, etc). These feet are new and never installed so I will likely be able to trade them in against my next purchase at my purchase price, even though I've had them for awhile. I'll tag you if that doesn't work out though.

That's quite understandable. No worries what so ever. And I know what you mean about not getting rid of old gear. Between my brothers and I, we could start up a used hifi shop with all of the gear we have laying around. LOL

While I couldn't begin to explain what half of those adjectives even mean in my system, some of his comments (especially about wooden floors) seem to be in line with your description about the stands under your subs. Maybe you should consider writing reviews in your spare time! ;)

Haha... Maybe I should. I just describe what I hear in the best words that I know how. No point in sugar coating things or straight up lying about something.

BTW, I had the honor of meeting Michael Fremer at the Florida Audio Expo in the beginning of this year. He's the same in person as he is in his videos. Cool guy. Straight to the point and honest.

Im wondering if anyone here has ever had their cat climb their Martin Logan Electrostats.

I had cats climb the grills of some of my other speakers that were not electrostat, but they don't mess with the prodigies.
Maybe the cats feel the static like us standing next to a Van de Graaff generator...

1602438114904.png

That's quite understandable. No worries what so ever. And I know what you mean about not getting rid of old gear. Between my brothers and I, we could start up a used hifi shop with all of the gear we have laying around. LOL
Chops, I spoke with my dealer and he is willing to take back my GAIA II's and carpet disks for a 15% restock fee against the GAIA I's and their carpet disks. While I think that is a very fair deal (and certainly better than I could do selling them used), the big question is whether I 'really' want to put $600 under each of my ESL 15's! :unsure: Stay tuned...

Hope it goes well. I dabbled with IIs or Is (can't rememeber - the smaller one) and thought it sounded awful. This was with SL3s on a laminate-over-screed floor. I was shocked, too, at the cost of them!

I did a few more things recently... Sold the Music Hall mmf-7.3 turntable and Schiit Mani to my oldest brother, drove 130 miles round trip to pick up an absolutely mint Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2 amplifier, installed taller shelf poles and cross braces for my Vulcan rack to make room for that huge amp, and removed all of the cabling coming from and going to the stack of cassette decks in the back of the room for now.

p4019598474-5.jpg

p4019598477-5.jpg

p4019598480-5.jpg

p4019598579-5.jpg

p4019598712-5.jpg

p4019598644-5.jpg

p4019598798-5.jpg

Last edited:
What did you wind up doing with the Aegirs? I'm contemplating getting them, and would be happy to buy them used if they're available.

On Christmas Eve, one of my brothers came over with his Emotiva XPA DR-2 amp for me to try out in my system for a while, being able to directly compare it to my Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2. He just purchased an integrated tube amp and also just ordered a Doge Audio tube preamp that he's waiting on to be built. So in the meantime, he's letting me run the DR-2 in my system. Plus this is a comparison I wanted to do anyway, just for fun.

And with either amp in the system, my kitties still enjoy hanging out in here chilling to old jazz, classical and old rock. Well, any music really. LOL

p4095234234-5.jpg

p4095234235-5.jpg

p4095771812-5.jpg

Does the door in the rear behind the sub ever rattle with high bass? Ive got a laundry room door that rattles horribly with movies. Have to keep it open. Its not real close to the sub either, the sound travels through the wall and rattles it.

Does the door in the rear behind the sub ever rattle with high bass? Ive got a laundry room door that rattles horribly with movies. Have to keep it open. Its not real close to the sub either, the sound travels through the wall and rattles it.

Fortunately, no it doesn't, but one of the windows does. I have to look into that actually.

Robert D,
You can likely add some light foam weatherstrip or self-adhesive felt on the door or the door jamb to create a small amount of pressure on the door latch when it's closed. That will keep it from rattling. That's what I've done on my studio door. I have to use a slight bit of pressure to make the door latch. It's not completely air tight, but I've reduced the air gap around my entire door, and it improves the sound isolation between rooms. I use my music room for recording also, so the isolation was important to me. It's also a solid core door which has better isolation, and the added mass is less likely to rattle.

Robert D,
You can likely add some light foam weatherstrip or self-adhesive felt on the door or the door jamb to create a small amount of pressure on the door latch when it's closed. That will keep it from rattling. That's what I've done on my studio door. I have to use a slight bit of pressure to make the door latch. It's not completely air tight, but I've reduced the air gap around my entire door, and it improves the sound isolation between rooms. I use my music room for recording also, so the isolation was important to me. It's also a solid core door which has better isolation, and the added mass is less likely to rattle.
Yeah, I need to get around to doing that. Right now I just crack open the door and that works.

I plan on selling the house in a year or two, so I'm thinking I probably shouldn't rig up too much. After selling homes in the past I've learned how picky people can be.

Latest posts

Back