A little tidbit of news

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

Reaction score
I found out today that the Spire's panels have a different arrangement of the spars. From what I understand, this new arrangement is an offshoot of the new CLX. The Summit X is going to have the identical panel as the Spire.

Gordon

ML has done several spar spacing changes along the way. Look at the CLS the way its evolved. Same with the Quest to the ReQuest . It also changes the way the sound radiates. Some like it the new way some like it the old way. Either way its a change to call it a new version.

As ML have said themselves, spar spacing is not an exact science. No way is better than the other.

Doubt if this is true. If there is no difference, why would ML charge their customers for a change that has no impact on speaker performance?

Doubt if this is true. If there is no difference, why would ML charge their customers for a change that has no impact on speaker performance?

Yes, I agree. When we were at the factory last year on the tour at the National Get Together there was only one area of the plant where we weren't allowed to take pictures - the area where they make the ESL panels. While it may not be an "exact" science, there is definitely a very specific process associated with the placement of the spars and they had clearly taken the time to develop tooling and fixtures regarding the placement of the spars for each of the models.

Again, they were very specific about no photographs being taken in this area of the factory...

Attachments

• NoPhoto's.jpg
    NoPhoto's.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 454
So why discontinue the Summits.Offer a panel upgrade

If that is the only differance than why not offer a panel upgrade than discontinue the Summit?It does seem like the new partners are getting a little greedy.If I spent 10 grand on speakers and in less than 2 years I was told the panels were subpar to the new ones,I would be more than angry.If they are not as good and it is not about money,why not offer to upgrade the panels for free or at a reduced cost that are under warranty.Please Martin Logan do the right thing for loyal customers.I hope they do not discontinue woofers and panels for the older speakers,just so we have to buy the newer models.:(

Last edited:
Please Martin Logan do the right thing for loyal customers.I hope they do not discontinue woofers and panels for the older speakers,just so we have to buy the newer models.:(
One thing about Martin Logan is they have NEVER left the older models out to dry! I can still get panels for my CLS that are over 20 years old. They are the best about that ! Dont sweat it ! They are not just releasing new panels and calling them a new speaker. As when the change the panels they will change the X over network also.

If that is the only differance than why not offer a panel upgrade than discontinue the Summit?

This has been standard business practice for Martin Logan for a long time. Every two to four years, they upgrade their product line. This may be a simple upgrade of an existing product (such as the Ascent i replacing the Ascent, for example) or it may be a whole new product line replacing an existing product line (such as the Summit replacing the Prodigy, for example). It sounds like this will be the former, with a minimal panel upgrade and perhaps a crossover upgrade to the Summit, creating the Summit i (or Summit X or whatever).

I don't see the need for Summit owners to freak out and rush out to buy new speakers or get the upgrades. I never upgraded my Ascents to Ascent i's either, and don't think I am missing out on anything. According to the folks at ML, that upgrade was more about looks than performance anyway.

I agree with Rich. Having listened to the Spire and the Summit side by side for about six weeks now, what they've done with the new crossover and panel is a bit of an improvement, but not enough of an improvement that I'd be bummed out about having Summits.

They are still awesome speakers and I'm willing that most people could dial in enough other things in their setup to wring more sound out of their Summits rather than trade em in after a year or two.

It's like having a year old BMW M3 or Porsche 911, just because the new one comes out ("look shiny thing") doesn't mean what you have isn't still excellent.

Hey, isn't Tom getting ready to go to ML?

:)

The fact that it's still called "Summit" leads me to believe that it will be available as a retrofit for original Summit owners. ML could solve this issue very easily if they came out with a press release. Wonder why they don't?

I would not be angry

I think these are small improvements to something that sounds many times better than most other speakers including more expensive models. this is what drives the used market what great deals on a pair of barely used and sometimes unopened summits are people crazy.

Back