A day of listening to something other than Logans.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomDac

former MLO owner/operator
Reaction score
I spent most of yesterday afternoon and evening at a co-worker's place listening to music on his very high end system. It was rainy and dreary out, so it was perfect timing.

His speakers are VMPS "Elixir" which are ribbons - they are MASSIVE... standing over 6 feet tall and weighing 375 lbs each. They're being powered by Parasound JC1 monoblocks. Pre/Pro is an Anthem Statement D1. ..and he recently bought a Slim Devices Transporter.

I arrived at 2PM and was immediately blown away by the look of his system.. Very nice, especially his rack which he said he had custom made and weighed over 500 lbs. Shelves are made of lucite. Although I'm not a fan of the "piano black" finish of his VMPS's , I was really excited to hear them.... He also has an enormous TV... and VMPS surrounds.. not sure of the models.

His room is not huge.. just about right for a few people, I'd say... Maybe 15' X 25'

I brought some of the CDs I took to Lawrence when I demo'ed the CLX and also two of my new faves by Renaissance and we immediately started listening.. His CD player is a Denon combination player.. not sure of the model.

A few of his other audiophile friends came over, including a friend of his who's a dealer, who asked me, "You're the guy who's really into Logans, right?" which I confirmed. He then said, "These sound very different than electrostats, don't they... Not as open and revealing, right?". BINGO! He hit the nail on the head.

I then realized that the only other system I've really listened to that was NOT a ML system was at the MLC Get Together in Kansas when we went to Acoustic Sounds. Not sure which speakers we listened to then (see photo #2 below), but they were AWESOME and just sounded incredible.

At 9:15PM I left with this conclusion. The VMPS speakers are nice... soundstage is focused, dynamics are awesome....but something is just missing.

Regardless, it was fun afternoon and I got to discover some great new music including:

Sax Pack
Billy Cobham
Mike Stern
Melody Gardot

and I turned some new people onto some of the music I'm into... so it was a great day.....

Below is a photo I took of my buddy's system..... sorry the quality is crap. room was dark and it was my iphone camera... 2nd photo is of the system we heard at Acoustic Sounds.

Attachments

• IMG_0299.jpg
    IMG_0299.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_1391 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_1391 (Medium).jpg
    38 KB · Views: 524
Last edited:
Tom -

Those speakers are the Avalon Sentinel (their flagship speaker).

A few us got to listen to the Avalon Indra in Denver - very nice speaker and really easy on the eyes. A number of folks on this forum have claimed that if they were forced to chose something other than ML, Avalon Acoustics would be the next best thing.

Erik

Tom -

Those speakers are the Avalon Sentinel (their flagship speaker).

A few us got to listen to the Avalon Indra in Denver - very nice speaker and really easy on the eyes. A number of folks on this forum have claimed that if they were forced to chose something other than ML, Avalon Acoustics would be the next best thing.

Erik

Yeah, I could live with those easily as well.. they were spectacular.

Tom, nice write up. I like the way you provided the URLs for each component. I often like to look up the info on equipment when I read post like this. It just makes it much easier and enjoyment. Thanks!

Thanks for sharing Tom. I will also have to check out some of the new music that you suggested. I couldn't tell from the picture but did your friend use any acoustical treatment? Good write up, I enjoyed reading it.

Glen

Tom, nice write up. I like the way you provided the URLs for each component. I often like to look up the info on equipment when I read post like this. It just makes it much easier and enjoyment. Thanks!
I also agree good job to our fearless leader. accurate sound is one thing and sounding smooth and good like our Logans is another ! I also been let down in the past this way having lots of fun still. kinda makes you feel good to see all that stuff and walk away thinking "that sounded good but I still like my speakers better"

That speaker looks kinda like "I tried to make a ribbon speaker, but actually, I didn't have a clue how too. So I bought loads of prefabs and stuck them in a box, together with a woofer."

Grade D just looking at 'em, in my book of rules. Then again, those rules were made to be broken. Don't think they would be in this case, but then again, I haven't heard them. Estimated probability of a classic speaker here is low, though.

That speaker looks kinda like "I tried to make a ribbon speaker, but actually, I didn't have a clue how too. So I bought loads of prefabs and stuck them in a box, together with a woofer."

Grade D just looking at 'em, in my book of rules. Then again, those rules were made to be broken. Don't think they would be in this case, but then again, I haven't heard them. Estimated probability of a classic speaker here is low, though.

not so sure about all that!

You don't like the piano black?? While I'm not a fan of the look of those particular speakers, the piano black is lovely!

Avalon Sentinel - I could live with those too - lovely speakers, but recently they've been pushed aside by the ADAM Tensors about which I was speaking in another thread!

You don't like the piano black?? While I'm not a fan of the look of those particular speakers, the piano black is lovely!

Avalon Sentinel - I could live with those too - lovely speakers, but recently they've been pushed aside by the ADAM Tensors about which I was speaking in another thread!

Piano black to me just screams "Black Lacquer" from the 80s.... it looks dated.. :(

Piano black to me just screams "Black Lacquer" from the 80s.... it looks dated.. :(

I disagree...i think piano black is gorgeous for a speaker
and fits any decor. I don't think it's dated, in fact, it's
always a contemporary design that will hold through the years.
Also, it's more durable...

here's my Montanas...

Attachments

• DSC_0002.jpg
    DSC_0002.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 446
  • DSC_0009.jpg
    DSC_0009.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 353
Nice review Tom. I like the line source look and the sound is not that bad I bet. I have not heard taht model but other VMPS and they are OK. The Avalons are beautiful. I bet they sounds good !

Tom, was the toe-in as extreme as the pic shows, or is it an illusion? Seems odd to have a tweeter at the very top. Did this have a detrimental effect?

when done correctly on the right object nothing looks sexier in piano black!
it just screams musical instrument to me. must be done correctly though those logans are a good example of that.

different strokes.. piano black = nasty IMHO...

yes, the toe-in was that extreme.
Did your friend have the diffuser panels for the VMPS's? Did he also have a VMPS sub woofer in the system? I'd like to try out one of their subs but shipping and receiving is a hassle for me.

Did your friend have the diffuser panels for the VMPS's? Did he also have a VMPS sub woofer in the system? I'd like to try out one of their subs but shipping and receiving is a hassle for me.

I didn't see any diffuser panels, but he does indeed have the VMPS sub and it was a MONSTER...

I didn't see any diffuser panels, but he does indeed have the VMPS sub and it was a MONSTER...
Yea, there was a "new larger sub" on the 'gon out of San Francisco for $250.00. Shipping would have to be large freight for over 5 bills though.
How did it sound, though. Well Intergrated?

Back