7.1 vs. 5.1

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaserMark4

Reaction score
Just curious as to what are the experiences of those ML owners who made the jump to 7.1. Was it worth the move? Any praises or regrets?

How big does a room have to be before a 7.1 really shines over a 5.1?

Honestly shoehorning a 7.1 system in a "normal" room is tough. Especially if they are MLs. I think that you can be just as happy with a 5.1 system. Of course the new lossless surround codecs (Dolby Digital True HD and DTS-HD) may make better use out of the back surrounds for movies and musics. If the room can "support" a 7.1 system I would go with that. You may have to think about in-wall or on-wall speakers for the surrounds if the room is not very large (or even dipoles *gasp* if the room is on the small side).

If I where you I would try to get a 7.1 system in the room and go with smaller surrounds such as Frescos mounted on the walls. I have heard that they blend well. I have a 7.1 system but only the front end is ML ESL type speakers and I am satisfied with it. There is room for improvement and Frescos would probably make it better but the budget dictates otherwise.

If you are going to go with ESL type speakers all around you will need a fairly large room. I am not sure how good the wall mounted Scripts are but I would think that they might sacrifice sound quality since they are mounted so close to the wall. With that being said I would love to have a couple of pairs but my dedicated room is too small to fit them in.

Right now, I would say you could live with 5.1. There are a handful of movies that really make 7.1 shine--House of Flying Daggers DTSES HK, Kiss of the Dragon DTSES Germany, Hero DTSES HK, Gladiator DTSES US, The Haunting DTSES US, and Underworld DTSES Japan. There are definitely more, but those are the ones that come to mind right away. When I hear them, I think, "Wow! this is amazing." Judging by the 6.1 movies that are done the right way, I would think the new 7.1 codex would be something you wouldn't want to pass up.

I went the opposite way. About 2 years ago I went from 7.1 back to 5.1. There was so little info in the back channels they almost never played and when they did it added very little or nothing to my enjoyment. I realize that a lot has probably changed since then, but I am in no hurry to go back. The cost of two more speakers and amp channels is just not worth it to me.

Jimbo

7.1 would be nice....

LaserMark4,

Personally, I am perparing for the Blue-Ray High Def. HT as socialxray says, the new formates will probably have much more defined sound channels. It is the coming Hi-tech wave. Although, socialxray and I, do not relish the fact that, we may soon be embroiled in the coming, 'formate wars'. :rolleyes:

My, system #57 is a, 7.1 set-up. I currently, have an all ML, 5.1 set-up with a temporary pair of cheapy "Sony", three-way towers, as rears to complete my 7.1 system... Although, if I had the money, I would difinately purchase some new ML "Summits" to use as front speakers, and move my Ascent i's to the surround position and then move my Script i's to the rear psoition. I just need $12,000.00 (USD), to do it up right... :D Well, maybe someday... It's my dream... :D

Cheers

-Robin

A lot of good perspectives and dialog. I'll definitely have to check out some of those movie suggestions, rynopr. I have Hero-- I agree, it's amazing and a great mix of both audio and visual.

I keep thinking that room size is definitely the critical factor whether going beyond 5.1 makes sense-- at least for now. In my small / mid depth room (18'), it just seems you quickly run out of wall space and distance between speakers, especially if you have multiple openings into the room.

I have really been pleased with the amount of rear sound I'm getting out of the rear Aerius in 5.1. And all ELS together really blends well. But I think when additional formats arrive (and new technologies), the landscape will change.... especially with material that is created for the expanded speaker formats.

Finally, Robin, your Summits and Ascent rears-- now that combo would definitely crank some sounds. I'd like to hear that one assembled when your dream becomes reality-- :) .

Should your system be 5.1 or 7.1?

I think your room should decide that. If your room is square like say 15’ by 17’ I would go 5.1, if your room is say 15’ by 30’ I would go 7.1.

Over loading your room with speakers will have a very negative impact on your sound quality.

Less is more and more is less.

My dream system was 3 pairs of prodigys, one theater center, and two descents. Over kill?

Last edited:
Zip3kx07 said:
Less is more and more is less.

but if less is more, think of how much more "more" would be? -- Frasier Crane

i am going 7.1 and i wrestle with the decision regularily. it is costing me thousands. 500 for amp, 1200 for the second pair of scripts, 1700 for bryston to convert the processor from 5.1 to 7.1, 200 for the remote add-on to my video switch because the bryston upgrade had a side effect of removing switch control from the processor.

sigh.

i strongly suspect my continuing to 7.1 is just a matter of stubborness - i made a decision and now i'm doing it come heck or high water.

but on the bright side, i only have to hang the amps on the wall (woodworking project - yah!) and pull wire through the ceiling - boo.

sigh.

my room is 18' long and i kind of feel nestled in amongst the scripts, even if the back ones are only "sound treatment" until i do the amps and wire.

and because i have never gotten around to posting a picture - here we go.

Attachments

• t-rearview.jpg
    t-rearview.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 141
zaphod said:
sigh.

my room is 18' long and i kind of feel nestled in amongst the scripts,

Very cool! Can you say a life-sized surround head phones!! I like it!

I think we'd all be interested in hearing if your imaging and "movement" of sound is significantly improved with the 7.1 the way you've set it up.

LaserMark4 said:
Very cool! Can you say a life-sized surround head phones!! I like it!

well, it's hard to tell from the picture, but the listener is about a foot in front of the sides to provide 110 degrees and the rears are about 3 to 4 feet behind the listener.

IMHO the reason 7.1 was introduced was simply to sell more speakers. Any pair of speaker worth buying should be capable of providing a good center image. Thus if your speakers can provide this image there is no reason to introduce two additional speakers in the center rear of the listening position.

On the same note 5.1 is a bit of a crock as well. With speakers that can image properly a center simply adds a different speaker into the mix with slightly different sound. My system sounded its best when I had 2 pairs of SL3's. When the wife moved in I was strong armed into selling the rears and replacing them with Scenarios for the rear and adding a Cinema for the center. Obviously there should be a change in the rear, but the front soundstage is less lifelike and natural. I say we should revolt and go to 4.1 :p .

I've only watched a couple of movies so far but I thought the 7.1 was pretty cool. I haven't listened to a true 7.1 disc yet but the matrixed 5.1 sounds good. As I watch more, I'll let you know if my opinion changes. It's hard to get the wife down in the basement until its finished.

Attachments

• ht.jpg
    ht.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 100
  • ht1.jpg
    ht1.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 100
  • scp.jpg
    scp.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 108
Script i....

68sting said:
I've only watched a couple of movies so far but I thought the 7.1 was pretty cool. I haven't listened to a true 7.1 disc yet but the matrixed 5.1 sounds good. As I watch more, I'll let you know if my opinion changes. It's hard to get the wife down in the basement until its finished.

68sting,

Your photos of your new home theather look fantastic, even the Don Henly, too. :D I thought, the mounting of your rear, Script i's was great! Have you tested them out? Don't they image better when hung from the ceiling? :D Great set-up... Dude, It's looking good... really good. :D Your wife is going to love the HT, trust me. ;)

Cheers

-Robin

Script mounted up-side-down...

zaphod said:
but if less is more, think of how much more "more" would be? -- Frasier Crane

i am going 7.1 and i wrestle with the decision regularily. it is costing me thousands. 500 for amp, 1200 for the second pair of scripts, 1700 for bryston to convert the processor from 5.1 to 7.1, 200 for the remote add-on to my video switch because the bryston upgrade had a side effect of removing switch control from the processor.

sigh.

i strongly suspect my continuing to 7.1 is just a matter of stubborness - i made a decision and now i'm doing it come heck or high water.

but on the bright side, i only have to hang the amps on the wall (woodworking project - yah!) and pull wire through the ceiling - boo.

sigh.

my room is 18' long and i kind of feel nestled in amongst the scripts, even if the back ones are only "sound treatment" until i do the amps and wire.

and because i have never gotten around to posting a picture - here we go.

zaphod,

Your photo is excellent, IMHO, your choice in mounting your Script i's up-side-down, is excellent... :D :D Better mids and highs imaging correct?
Your home looks very comfy and cosey, for fantastic HT... :D

Cheers

-Robin

Robin said:
68sting,

Your photos of your new home theather look fantastic, even the Don Henly, too. :D Cheers -Robin

"Don Henley Live-- Inside Job"-- One FANTASTIC DVD concert in DTS. Wonderful mix and music artistry at its finest! Close to my all time favorite--a must for every audio/HT!

Nice looking setups, 68sting and zaphod!!

Robin said:
Your photo is excellent, IMHO, your choice in mounting your Script i's up-side-down, is excellent... :D :D Better mids and highs imaging correct?
Your home looks very comfy and cosey, for fantastic HT... :D

thanks.

the panel of the script is in the same place as if it were mounted right-side up. the only difference is that the woofer is above the panel not below :)

i also tip down the script by using the outer hole on the top and the inner hole on the bottom - that helped a lot.

now if i can only find the time to actually get the back ones hooked up - end of november is looking good.

Latest posts

Back