60XTi adivce

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StratDoc

Reaction score
I have been looking at the 60Xti speakers and would welcome the community's advice. Currently have Wharfedale Diamond 250 speakers. I use the system for music listening only.

Setup and Context
Large L shaped room that is approximately 50'x30'x18'. System sits on the 50' wall with focus out to the 30' dimension. Slight listening area overlap with the shorter 18' wall. No ability to place speakers more than 10-12" from rear wall.

Parasound P6 and A23+ amp
SB4000 subwoofer

Appreciate your advice on room size/dimensions for these 60XTi. Am I going to see an appreciable upgrade over the Wharfedales - looking for a speaker with more clarity with the mid's and highs. Is the amp capable of driving these speakers to full potential.

Thanks. Excited about possibly picking up the 60XTis.

Last edited:
I need more information. What sound level do you listen at? is it medium to loud? Or very loud? This is what puts stress on the speakers and the power supply. Without that info, I can't figure how much crystal clear sound you need. I even have a few more that will help. here is a list.

1. What volume level do you listen at?
2, How far from the actual speakers do you sit?
3. Do you have a subwoofer? If so what brand and model?
4. How old are your Wharfedales?

With that info I can use a NASA derived algorithm modified by a Nobel prize winner to give you an answer.
OK, that last sentence might not be quite true! But, I will be able to give you a fairly precise answer for your needs.

Thanks for the reply.

Listen at loud levels, sometimes very loud.
Sitting is fairly close in although pool table behind sitting area gets a lot of use. I would say sitting area is 10 feet away.
Yes, I have a SB4000 subwoofer
Wharfedales are not that old - 3 years, purchased new.

The other speaker I am considering is the Monitor Audio Silver 500 - FYI. I am really trying to find the best match for kit and room.

Thank you.

Last edited:
First off you did not scrimp on a sub! That is a very nice servo sub. The 60XTi's will work well for you. One thing you have to remember is that you may need to tilt the speakers at a slight upward angle, The have a 30 degree vertical dispersion pattern. Like the small ESL speakers if you stand up you "might" get out of the sweet spot and lose some highs, but I have not personally listened to them so it may not do this in your room. I could not find any information on the dispersion pattern for Monitor Audio Silver 500's. They ML 60's appear to be a major step up from the Silver 500 series. I think you will be happy with them and get the volume you need. Rated at 94 db sensitivity you can get to 100 db pretty easily. That is pretty loud.

The fact that you are using them for music only means that you can play with the speaker position to really lock in a nice soundstage that appears centered between the two speakers. I think you will be quite pleased with your new speakers. I would use your preamp to have the sub handle material below 80 to 125hz. Many on these forums have found that bumping up from the 80hz that is normally recommended up to around 125 really gives better listening performance. I have found that in my own system too. I run at 100hz and below to the sub. But, in the end you can play around with all different toe in etc. Enjoy the ride!

Back