6.1 vs 7.1

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Desert Rat

I have the option of either placing one speaker on my rear wall (6.1 surround) or two speakers (7.1 surround). My speakers are cinema i (center), ascent i (front), clarity (sides), fresco (rear). Question is: since there is same signal going to both rear channels, will i notice a difference if i have 2 rather than 1 speaker back there? Will there eventually be "true" 7.1 dvd's? Also, what is recommended height for the rear speakers?
Thanks!
Todd

Desert Rat said:
I have the option of either placing one speaker on my rear wall (6.1 surround) or two speakers (7.1 surround). My speakers are cinema i (center), ascent i (front), clarity (sides), fresco (rear). Question is: since there is same signal going to both rear channels, will i notice a difference if i have 2 rather than 1 speaker back there? Will there eventually be "true" 7.1 dvd's? Also, what is recommended height for the rear speakers?
Thanks!
Todd

The one time I tried the 7.1 config I didn't care for it. However, with the upcoming dolby true audio format that will carry real 7.1 lossless audio signal I would atleast try it again.

7.1 Rocks...

Desert Rat said:
Thanks!
Todd
Todd,

:D Welcome to the ML Club!
I would be interested to know what kind of Processor and Amplifier you are using? Your room dimentions? Are you planning to Blue-Ray or HD-Red Ray? Personally, with my preamp and amplifiers, for my ears I choose 7.1... :) I really like the seporation of sounds it's just to my liking. My HT is so small most of my listening is near field, but just the same I thoughly enjoy 7.1. IMHO, it's the only way to fly for HT... :D :D

room dimensions and processor

Robin said:
Todd,

:D Welcome to the ML Club!
I would be interested to know what kind of Processor and Amplifier you are using? Your room dimentions? Are you planning to Blue-Ray or HD-Red Ray? Personally, with my preamp and amplifiers, for my ears I choose 7.1... :) I really like the seporation of sounds it's just to my liking. My HT is so small most of my listening is near field, but just the same I thoughly enjoy 7.1. IMHO, it's the only way to fly for HT... :D :D

Robin,
I have bryston sp1.7 processor and 7 channel Lexicon amp. My room is fairly large, about 16ft long, about 20 ft wide or so. It has no doors and is open to the other areas of the house on the front left and rear left sides. The right wall curves to meet the back wall. Because of the curve and the open areas, my back wall is about 10 feet wide. As far as blu-ray etc - no can do until prices come down.
Todd

I Diffinately Recommend Going - 7.1

Desert Rat said:
Robin,
I have bryston sp1.7 processor and 7 channel Lexicon amp. My room is fairly large, about 16ft long, about 20 ft wide or so. It has no doors and is open to the other areas of the house on the front left and rear left sides. The right wall curves to meet the back wall. Because of the curve and the open areas, my back wall is about 10 feet wide. As far as blu-ray etc - no can do until prices come down.
Todd
Todd,

Given the high quality of your gear and the space involved in your HT, I would diffinately recommend going for a 7.1 system. The reason being is that you have the space for the speporation and the high quality electrical equipment to power all of your speakers for a wonderful sound stage for HT. Remember your local THX / DTS movie theater has a 20.2 system for the larger space. The future of HT is more speaker and more detailed sepration of sound and dynamic sound effects in HT. Our processors are changing so fast we can barely keep up. IMHO, for the reasons I've listed above and because my ears love 7.1... I whole heartly recommend 7.1... :D
:D Of course you will have to do what your ears like best.

Good luck. :D

6.1 is a lost cause. only like a handful of DVD's carry a descreet 6.1 DTS mix or a DolbyEX mix. 7.1 is matrixed for now on DVDs so the back two do carry the same signal, but as robin said, dolby true HD and DTS HD will eventually have descreet 7.1 mixes. Logic dictates, that if youre spending the cash, go for 7.1.
Happy listening

Back