23 years of building this

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanR

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Let me start by saying I haven’t posted on the site in 14 years that’s when I sold my Ascent-i Logans. I’ve been building this system since 1998 and it’s come a long way! This is for 2 channel music listening only. After I sold the Ascents I had a pair of Linkwitz Orions, sold those and then went to a pair of Earl Geddes Abbey 12A speakers and I still own those and may never sell them. I learned a lot about subwoofers and integrating subs into a system from Earl (Earl lives 20 minutes from me) Duke LeJume also uses this sub theory and people know it as swarm. Well as good as the other speakers sounded especially the Abbeys I still longed for that sound I had with the Ascents, the reason I sold the Ascents was that I just couldn’t get the bass to integrate with those speakers to my liking. Now 14 years later I own a pair of Classic ESL9 speakers and am very impressed, and yes I have the bass integrated beautifully with these wonderful Logans. Here’s the system.
Amps- Bi amped
Rogue Audio Stereo 100 on the panels
Parasound A21+ on the low end
2 Behringer EP4000 powering 2 subs
Pre amps line stage and phono
Line stage Backert Labs Rhumba 1.2
Phono Allnic 1201
Turntable/Cartridge
Rega RP8/Apheta2
Reckhorn B-1 subsonic filter
Subs (3)
1) 18” 18" Maelsrom X driver in a 8 cu/ft sealed enclosure powered with 2400 watts
2) 15" Dayton Titanic Mark III driver in a 6.75 cu/ft sealed enclosure powered with 950 watts
3) Svs 12” powered sub (300 watt)
Behringer DCX2496 speaker management controller for the subs
Disc player- Oppo BDP83 SE Modwright tube mod
Streamer- Bluesound Node 2i
Speaker and interconnect cables Morrow Audio level4
Power cords Silnote Poseidon GL
Racks Pangea Vulcan
2D3F9ECA-37DA-4631-804A-FC33D4D32093.jpeg

(y) Welcome back to the fold Dan !!

one question, if it's two channel only what's with the TV ?

Yeah I probably should have explained that. There is also a 7.1 surround system in the racks, separate from the 2 channel equipment. Pioneer atmos receiver, Behringer amp for the subs, Klipsch fronts, rears, Polk sides, Def Tech center. The subs are 15” with 18” passive radiators tuned to 17hZ. I have no room for two separate systems in different rooms🤦‍♂️

Welcome back. Beautiful set up.
How do you like the Backert preamp? I was talking to Mr Tebbe about trying one out but lost touch.
Enjoy!

How do you like the Backert preamp? I was talking to Mr Tebbe about trying one out but lost touch.
Enjoy!
[/QUOTE
Enjoy!
I love the Backert preamp, I have been very impressed with his work and products for some years now. I had him work his magic on a Conrad Johnson PV-12 preamp a while back and his mods on that unit were amazing that preamp played well above it’s level. The Rhumba I have is a 1.2 technically but Bob made me a great deal he upgraded it with all the changes that went into the Rhumba 1.3 for a price I couldn't refuse. This unit sounds great, I’ve played around with different tubes and settled in on NOS RCA 12AU7 clear tops, a nice surprise since these are very abundant and not expensive at all, they just WORK with this preamp. I’ve had JJs and Northern Electrica in there too and the Northern Electrics sounded pretty good but nowhere near as good as the clear tops. Backert labs is a great company to deal with his tech advisor and music guru is a great guy to deal with and that’s who you get on the phone to discuss things with, he will give you an honest opinion on what tubes “he” thinks play well with their designs and it’s always a good thing to talk to a music guy on that subject.

Wow! Nice setup. How do watch TV like that? Seems like your only seeing half the screen?

Yes, I'm joking........:)
Hahahahhaahha yeah I played around with a lot of acoustic foam configurations to tame the reflections off the screen, I had the screen completely covered and that dulled it out way too much. I finally settled in on the three strips and then put the new racks in and moved the tv to the right of center so I had to get the foam off set right too. I played with the foam on the walls behind and to the sides of the speakers too but the overall presentation sounds the best without the foam on the walls.

Appreciate your thoughts on the Backert. I use a Premier 16 II now and not sure if it would be worth refurbishing once it starts breaking down. I guess I could check with CJ but imagine it's pricey. I will definitely check out the Backert. Thanks

Welcome back!
My system has been building and changing over 20 years as well. I think I am close to being done because I am retired and the "extra' money is hard to come by. :)
I too have the Pangea stands in I think they call it dark coffee. Looks like black but in the light you do see some brown.

Good Luck

Jeff

Those stands are priced very fair. They are quote strong? Know what the weight limit is?

Last edited:
Welcome back!
My system has been building and changing over 20 years as well. I think I am close to being done because I am retired and the "extra' money is hard to come by. :)
I too have the Pangea stands in I think they call it dark coffee. Looks like black but in the light you do see some brown.

Good Luck

Jeff
Yes I really do like the stands, mine are the rose nut color. And I’m retired here too so I understand the limited budget, but like you I’m pretty much set on equipment now and spending most of the budget on vinyl, and cartridges as I need them. I use the vinyl rig about 3 hours a day 5 days out of 7 and am really enjoying it!

Those standa are priced very fair. They are quote strong? Know what the weight limit is?

Holds A System's Worth Of Components

The Vulcan rack holds a system's worth of electronic components, boasting four generously sized 23.75" wide, 18" deep, and 0.625"-thick shelves. The dense MDF shelves are wrapped in a special vinyl material in satin black, rosenut, or mocha finish that is very easy to clean and resists scratching, scuffing, and most liquids. The front and sides of the shelves are contoured for a streamlined look.

Vulcan supports up to 75 lbs. per shelf and 300 lbs. total capacity per rack. The height between shelves is 8.75" above the lower shelf and 7.25" between the top shelves. The width between shelf supports is 19.4".

Holds A System's Worth Of Components

The Vulcan rack holds a system's worth of electronic components, boasting four generously sized 23.75" wide, 18" deep, and 0.625"-thick shelves. The dense MDF shelves are wrapped in a special vinyl material in satin black, rosenut, or mocha finish that is very easy to clean and resists scratching, scuffing, and most liquids. The front and sides of the shelves are contoured for a streamlined look.

Vulcan supports up to 75 lbs. per shelf and 300 lbs. total capacity per rack. The height between shelves is 8.75" above the lower shelf and 7.25" between the top shelves. The width between shelf supports is 19.4".
Thanks. Those look and seem really great, especially for the price. If I ever need some more, I will definitely look at those!

I’ve had the stands for 2 1/2 years now and they are just like new, no sagging of the shelves, and still sturdy as the day I put them together. That was one of the things that impressed me when I assembled them. There is no lateral movement to them at all they are very stout. The only drawback I found with them is the lower shelf room is not very big there’s no way my Krell amp will fit in that space. And even the Rogue stereo 100 tube amp I wouldn’t use in that space there just isn’t enough room for good ventilation.

Back