2021 new gen Apple tv 4k Dolby Atmos Problems

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I had problems with all of the TvOS versions, but so far no issues with beta 16. About a week of use and no atmos drops.
Have you watched a bunch of Atmos shows on Netflix? Netflix for whatever reason seems to have the most frequent dropouts.

Have you watched a bunch of Atmos shows on Netflix? Netflix for whatever reason seems to have the most frequent dropouts.
Yes actually everything I have watched has had Atmos. I watched the whole season 2 of Another life, gray man, and a couple random episodes of season 4 of stranger things and no issues yet. I am connected through Onkyo nr7100 and Ethernet on the Apple TV.

Yes actually everything I have watched has had Atmos. I watched the whole season 2 of Another life, gray man, and a couple random episodes of season 4 of stranger things and no issues yet. I am connected through Onkyo nr7100 and Ethernet on the Apple TV.
Great. Keep us posted if the problem rears its head again. Maybe all will be better once we all update to 16.

Now on the 3rd public beta of tvOS 16 and have watched another show on Netflix with an Atmos soundtrack and no sound drops as of yet. Used the get them at least once an hour in 15.
Sounds much better. What show were you watching? Not sure that it matters, but some shows seem worse than others.

Now on the 3rd public beta of tvOS 16 and have watched another show on Netflix with an Atmos soundtrack and no sound drops as of yet. Used the get them at least once an hour in 15.
Yep, I have not had a single drop since going to 16.

Watched several episodes of For All Mankind (gripping season BTW), re-watched some DtS episodes that used to drop, and several movies on ATV+, Disney+, and Netflix with 4K/DV/DA and zero glitches.

It looks like they found and fixed the bug(s).

Yep, I have not had a single drop since going to 16.

Watched several episodes of For All Mankind (gripping season BTW), re-watched some DtS episodes that used to drop, and several movies on ATV+, Disney+, and Netflix with 4K/DV/DA and zero glitches.

It looks like they found and fixed the bug(s).
We've been watching For All Mankind using the current OS 15 and its not had any problems either. Netflix shows like Virgin River are an entirely different story, and I couldn't make it 20 minutes without an audio dropout.

I sure hope 16 is the fix! It's been about a year and a half wait but it will be worth it.

One thing I worry about is the coordination between services like Netflix keeping up with Apple's OS changes. Hopefully when Apple or Netflix updates, the two programs interact correctly.

We've been watching For All Mankind using the current OS 15 and its not had any problems either. Netflix shows like Virgin River are an entirely different story, and I couldn't make it 20 minutes without an audio dropout.

I sure hope 16 is the fix! It's been about a year and a half wait but it will be worth it.

One thing I worry about is the coordination between services like Netflix keeping up with Apple's OS changes. Hopefully when Apple or Netflix updates, the two programs interact correctly.
If you want to give it a whirle I think it hit public release today.

After updating to 16.0, it's asking me to hold my iPhone or iPad up to the apple tv to update. What if I don't own an Apple device? I don't have oPC?

This is to update Apple ID settings under users and accounts in settings. There is a red dot there now.

Can I trigger it by logging into my Apple ID on my pc?

Can I trigger it by logging into my Apple ID on my pc?
I believe so, just use a browser and log into the Apple system. If they need you to authorize something related to the account, it would show there.

BTW a really good reason to own an iPhone is found with iOS 16, which this morning prompted me to scan my head and ears to generate a custom HRTF for Spatial Audio reproduction.

Now I have greater positional accuracy from Atmos tracks played on my iPhone (via Apple Music), or from the ATV playing movies over the AirPod Max headset.

I have a daughter still living at home with an I Phone. I'll try using her's. We tried last night late but it wouldn't work. It did nothing. I think it's because her phone isn't updated to 16 yet. She will update that today and we try again. Hopefully that works.

It's a pain in the ass when they assume all Apple tv owners have multiple Apple devices. I've not been a huge Apple fan since the 80s when I owned an Apple IIe. I'm used to Android phones and don't want to switch over.
At least Apple phones aren't overpriced any more. Seems Samsung and Apple phones cost the same now. When I got my 1st smartphone, a Samsung S4, the Apple was considerably more expensive. Apple's McIntosh and IPads are still priced much higher than equivalent hardware from other manufacturers.

This is the problem I have now after the IOS 16 update:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250673575
Ive not been able to use my daughter's phone yet because she still has not updated to IOS 16. Both devices have to be IOS 16 and her's is still old. I dont own any other Apple devices.

Its hard to believe that they would produce a product that requires you to own another Apple product to update. I logged into my account on my PC and disconnected the Apple TV from my ID and then added it again on the Apple TV. I figured that would clear it. Nope. It is stuck there showing I have to update it.

Does anyone know how to update the Apple ID settings on the Apple Tv without using another Apple product to do so? Its just plain nuts if you have to own another product. I have never run across that with another device and if it is true, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

This is the problem I have now after the IOS 16 update:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250673575
Ive not been able to use my daughter's phone yet because she still has not updated to IOS 16. Both devices have to be IOS 16 and her's is still old. I dont own any other Apple devices.

Its hard to believe that they would produce a product that requires you to own another Apple product to update. I logged into my account on my PC and disconnected the Apple TV from my ID and then added it again on the Apple TV. I figured that would clear it. Nope. It is stuck there showing I have to update it.

Does anyone know how to update the Apple ID settings on the Apple Tv without using another Apple product to do so? Its just plain nuts if you have to own another product. I have never run across that with another device and if it is true, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Sounds like there's a settings conflict somewhere.
Have you tried using Reset and start fresh?

Sounds like there's a settings conflict somewhere.
Have you tried using Reset and start fresh?
That will be last resort. Using my daughter's iPhone should work. I'll just have to wait until it's updated as well. I vaguely remember having to do this after an update in the past. That web page I found shows others have had the same situation.

I don't really understand why it needs to do this. Very annoying. I was hoping to update the settings on my own without having to have my daughter use her phone.

It really seems like you must use an Apple device to update the ID. Everything I've used so far seems to work OK. Not sure which functions won't work now. Apparently stuff I don't use.

So I watched 2 episodes of Silent Sea on Netflix. It's in atmos and not a single hiccup. I'd usually have at least 2 or 3 an episode.

One weird thing. When I went to watch a Netflix movie last night it wouldn't let me watch because it said I had maxed out my number of devices streaming at that time. We have premium, and that's 4 devices. There was only 1 other device streaming at the time. I closed Netflix and reopened it. Hit play on the movie and it worked fine. Some kind of bug I've NEVER had before. Hopefully it's not a bug with the new OS.

Ok. After updating my daughter's Iphone we were able to use it to update the Apple ID settings on the Apple TV and get rid of that red circle icon. its updated. It really seems that if you do not own another Apple device, you are screwed on that. Im just lucky one of my daughters still lives at home. Maybe I can talk my wife into getting an Ipad!

Apple is absolutely killing me! For some reason when I updated to IOS 16 it booted me out of Apple Music on my Sonos system. I have to reauthorize the account. You cannot do it on a PC, the pc app tells me that. I have to use an IOS or Android device. My Android app wont work. There is a long standing problem with adding Apple Music to Sonos without using an IOS device, and apparently it hasnt been fixed. So once again I have to have my daughter help me by using her Iphone. Why the hell does Apple do this!? I tried an app on the Apple TV, but in order to use that app I have to use another IOS device for that! Its insane. Apple really is its own little family and doesnt care for other devices.

I like Apple music though because it has channels for different Artists, where it plays other artists that are similar. I have a Tidal account but as far as I can tell there is not a similar thing on there. Sonos shows nothing when I go to stations for an artist name.

The only way to add Apple Music to Sonos is to add it through an IOS device like an Apple Phone. Just like the only way for me to update my Apple ID on the Apple tv was through an IOS device.

I think it has something to do with their security protocols.

Latest posts

Back