2021 new gen Apple tv 4k Dolby Atmos Problems

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This shouldnt affect our problem, but I just noticed that all the menus on Apple tv are in Dolby Vision even if you have Match Content in video options turned on. So watching Better Call Saul in 4k, but not DV, the screen had to turn black before the menu comes back on as it switched into Dolby Vision mode for the menu.
Correct, it is working as intended. I believe QMS is supposed to resolve this minor annoyance.

tvOS 15.5 dropped, although I am not optimistic for any fixes.

So, experienced something odd the other day. Was watching some Netflix content the other night (DV/DA, though I have Atmos disabled in the ATV so I'm not bothered with the popping), and was getting these brief video stutters (have seen this before, frequently in fact). But, this time also noticed some video "sparkles" you would traditionally associate with an HDMI/cable issue. What surprised me was that doing a hard reboot on the ATV (no other devices restarted) seemed to resolve it. My expectation lately has been that the ATV will get a little sloppy in performance over a period of many sleep cycles, but I was surprised that it would degrade the HDMI in such a way until a hard reboot.

So, experienced something odd the other day. Was watching some Netflix content the other night (DV/DA, though I have Atmos disabled in the ATV so I'm not bothered with the popping), and was getting these brief video stutters (have seen this before, frequently in fact). But, this time also noticed some video "sparkles" you would traditionally associate with an HDMI/cable issue. What surprised me was that doing a hard reboot on the ATV (no other devices restarted) seemed to resolve it. My expectation lately has been that the ATV will get a little sloppy in performance over a period of many sleep cycles, but I was surprised that it would degrade the HDMI in such a way until a hard reboot.

With tvOS regressions reaching the point that there are even reports of Gen 1 units suffering the Atmos dropouts, did you think the video was safe from Apple's incompetence?

Ugh. That sounds horrible. I've not had any of that. I wonder if it's a 15.5 issue. I'm holding off on that for awhile.

With tvOS regressions reaching the point that there are even reports of Gen 1 units suffering the Atmos dropouts, did you think the video was safe from Apple's incompetence?
Sounds like they need to hire a new engineering team. I've never had this experience with any other electronics. Microsoft's Windows has had some big issues, but they get resolved within a reasonable time. Apple's problem seems to have even gotten worse. You can bet that if the problem was with their phone it would have been fixed by now.

Any updates guys? Ive still not installed 15.5. Holding of a bit longer. I stopped updating apps too as well, to freeze it all in time. Afraid updating apps while not updating the OS might lead to some compatibility issues.

After experiencing the audio drop out issue when the ATV4K was wired, then discovered that limiting the bandwidth helped, I went back to wifi with no issue. I've still only had that one time for two seconds of audio drop out with wifi.

Apple needs to fix it.
Wired has lots of drops.
WiFi had only 1 drop in over 50 hours of 4K DV ATMOS, so I don't count this one.

Considering going from wired to WIFI to test the above posts conclusion. Have others switched to WIFI and had similar results of less drops ? In my mind it should have no correlation, then again stranger things occur so looking for others having the same experience of less drops on WIFI vs Wired. Thanks!

Considering going from wired to WIFI to test the above posts conclusion. Have others switched to WIFI and had similar results of less drops ? In my mind it should have no correlation, then again stranger things occur so looking for others having the same experience of less drops on WIFI vs Wired. Thanks!
I've not done it yet because by chance everything I'm watching now is in dolby 5.1. Once I watch atmos content again, I will try it wired 1st and then go wireless if the problem persists.

I will report back with results.

I tried the new update. It’s 10x worse on my system. Essentially unwatchable due to all the frequent drops, until I turned off Atmos.

Edit: 10x is quite conservative. It may be closer to 100x… and no, that’s not a percentage.

I updated to current OS today and have no issues so far after rewatching two episodes of Drive To Survive, but probably too soon to tell. It was on 15.4.x (didn't notice the exact OS version) before update, now it's 15.5.1.

Which hardware version do you troubled users have? (32GB or 64GB?)
And from which vendor were they purchased? (Physical Apple Store, Online Apple Store, or Other?)
WiFi or Wired?
Cables?

Might be good to keep track of config. I'll put mine in my sig.
Mine:
A2169 (64GB) OS15.5.1
Purchased from a Physical Apple Store on the second day available to purchase.
WiFi
Zeskit Maya 8K 3ft from ATV4K to Processor, Ruipro Fiber Optic HDMI 33ft (no power injector) to tv.

I tried the new update. It’s 10x worse on my system. Essentially unwatchable due to all the frequent drops, until I turned off Atmos.

Edit: 10x is quite conservative. It may be closer to 100x… and no, that’s not a percentage.
Thank you for the warning! I will avoid it like the plague then. Hopefully a new OS comes out that's better. At this point it's obvious they aren't even working on this issue.

Did you try running it on wifi? I'm guessing you're on a wired connection like me. It seems wifi works better.

I updated to current OS today and have no issues so far after rewatching two episodes of Drive To Survive, but probably too soon to tell. It was on 15.4.x (didn't notice the exact OS version) before update, now it's 15.5.1.

Which hardware version do you troubled users have? (32GB or 64GB?)
And from which vendor were they purchased? (Physical Apple Store, Online Apple Store, or Other?)
WiFi or Wired?
Cables?

Might be good to keep track of config. I'll put mine in my sig.
Mine:
A2169 (64GB) OS15.5.1
Purchased from a Physical Apple Store on the second day available to purchase.
WiFi
Zeskit Maya 8K 3ft from ATV4K to Processor, Ruipro Fiber Optic HDMI 33ft (no power injector) to tv.
I proprdered mine several months before it came out, from the Apple website. It was actually the day that pre-orders were first offered. I feel like a fool now.

Any new observations? I'm watching the latest Peaky Blinders on Netflix and it's now Atmos. Watched the 1st two episodes and sound dropped two times. Not really bad.

I'm still running the last OS though, so I'm one back. How is the latest OS for everyone? One of us reported that it's worse.

So, your timing is impeccable! Haha...I planned on calling into Apple support to get an update on my ticket, and more to complain about the ball being dropped (been pinging ticket every few weeks with last response in January). Your post reminded me to make the call.

Got moved up to level 2 supervisor and she was really friendly and eager to help. Talked for about an hour.

Here is what is happening next: I am sending my ATV4k Gen2 unit in for repair. Yep, repair.

I tried to get confirmation whether there is a known issue and if they have work instructions/procedures for resolving this specific issue, but she could not confirm. She said it was a different division/department/etc. I also tried to flesh out whether ALL ATV's in circulation are going to need to have this "repair"; also no confirmation.

I'm not at all confident that there will be anything to repair, but maybe they are remaining tight-lipped about it and there is indeed a fix available.

Anyway, do with this information what you will.

Back