2021 new gen Apple tv 4k Dolby Atmos Problems

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW- I recently performed a bunch of tests trying to find a set of baseline settings for the most accurate Atmos rendering. Since I have two Atmos systems with speakers and two headphone systems (Smyth A16 and the Apple AirPods Max), I was able to compare renderings across them. The A16 is very accurate, and since it does not have Audyssey, a more direct reflection of the source encoding.

Pre-requisite: Have run the guided setup that uses the Mic to determine levels and distances for the speakers. Ideally, a room correction measurement is also performed, following the guidelines "Official" Audyssey thread Part II

AVR/Preamp settings
Note: these must be reviewed/set while actually playing an Atmos track from the desired source, as some options are hidden if the current audio stream does not support them.
These settings are for the common Denon & Marantz processors, other manufacturers and other DRC systems might call these different terms or have additional elements that might need adjusting.
In general, the idea is run with as few level-altering options as possible.

In Audio->Surround Parameters
- Loudness Management: Off

In Audio->Audyssey
  • MultEQ XT32: ON (if a calibration was run at setup)
  • Dynamic EQ: OFF (this messes with relative levels and messes with positioning, turn it off)
  • Dynamic Volume: OFF
  • LFC: OFF
  • Target option is to taste, but generally ‘reference’ is what is used to mix movies

In Options->Channel Level adjust
  • Set all channels to zero (assuming the calibration at setup is correct).
  • Subwoofer tweaks of a couple of dB are fine

In Options->Dialog Enhancer
- Set to OFF

This should deliver the greatest fidelity with regards to positional accuracy and 3D soundfield.

Note that this is a baseline geared towards optimizing positional rendering, you will likely wind up tweaking from there. But I found that even a 1dB level change on overheads would subtly 'move' object renderings. Atmos depends on timing and level matching to recreate the sound at the specified locations, and the +3dB that DynamicEQ can apply to rears and top-rears totally warps the image.

Mine matches these settings to a T except I turned off the MultEQ XT32. And so far I haven't experienced the noise on my Marantz AV7703. Also I haven't seen a software update for my 7703 for quite some time. Which could also be why Robert's newer unit may have a software or firmware update to combat this issue?

Mine matches these settings to a T except I turned off the MultEQ XT32. And so far I haven't experienced the noise on my Marantz AV7703. Also I haven't seen a software update for my 7703 for quite some time. Which could also be why Robert's newer unit may have a software or firmware update to combat this issue?

Worth noting that people with JBL, Sony, Onkyo/Pioneer, Denon/Marantz are all reporting this issue. First two brands being soundbars; AVR's for the rest. Oh, and Sonos. But, it's great to hear disabling XT32 resolves whatever it is. Wonder if maybe I should open a ticket with Marantz, just to get more eyes on it...

I'm running the latest f/w on my SR7013 (which I don't recall having any recent releases), but didn't the 8-series just get an update? Was the 8012 included in that?

Got my 8012 with xt32 running on reference. Everything else turned off.

The firmware is latest. Not sure when it was installed, but it's been awhile.

So I'm on tvOS 15.2 and turned back on XT32 and the issue happened on Netflix's True Story. See clips below.

This one has it in the very first part of the clip a little.

This one is horrible.

Going to switch the XT32 back off and watch a few more episodes.

So I'm on tvOS 15.2 and turned back on XT32 and the issue happened on Netflix's True Story. See clips below.

This one has it in the very first part of the clip a little.

This one is horrible.

Going to switch the XT32 back off and watch a few more episodes.

Ok, I'm running 15.1.1 and mine is fine with xt32 on.

I turned off automatic updates on the Apple tv just now. Sounds like the new OS reintroduced the problem again maybe.

So you're on beta testing and that's how you got 15.2? It's not available to me.

Most of them only mention Netflix, but I had the issue on Apple tv service too. Never had it on HBO Max.
Noticed that. I'm going to retest some AppleTV+ content (along with XT32 disabled), but am almost certain I was having it there, too. Haven't had a chance to play much with it this week.

Left a text-to-voice message for Apple support rep yesterday via their support portal; still haven't heard a peep.

Ive been playing music in Apple Music using Atmos for about 1 week now and its been flawless. Thats just audio. Maybe its the combo of Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos that is causing some problems?

I wonder if anyone has had sound issues streamin Atmos while not viewing it in Dolby Vision. I think if your tv isnt Dolby Vision capable that it will convert to some other 4k format.

Apple rep reached out. Says he's been trying to call me, but can't get through; phone just goes "unanswered". Which is weird because I have haven't seen any missed calls, etc. Unless I also have an iPhone problem? Anyway, asked if he could try me again last night to which I agreed, but no calls on my end. Might give him my work number that should ring to my laptop.

Also, did a very unscientific poll on a FB group for Dolby Atmos and Vision:

1638973906396.png

With the disparities there, and in here, Reddit, and over at AVSforums, I can't help but wonder if h/w is indeed to blame on some of these units (mixed with tvOS 15). I know a bunch of AVR manufacturers switched out their DAC chips due to shortages; wonder if Apple might have had similar issues with some component during manufacturing? Anyway, I think 15.2 is getting really close to launching. iOS 15.2 RC just dropped, so hopefully the official release for iOS and tvOS is right around the corner (with bug fixes!!!).

Ive been playing music in Apple Music using Atmos for about 1 week now and its been flawless. Thats just audio. Maybe its the combo of Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos that is causing some problems?

I wonder if anyone has had sound issues streamin Atmos while not viewing it in Dolby Vision. I think if your tv isnt Dolby Vision capable that it will convert to some other 4k format.
So, one of the things I tried was disabling Dolby Vision in the Apple TV by setting it to 4k 60Hz SDR, and playing Atmos titles and it worked without issue. I've read people complaining about the popping issue with HDR in general, so I wonder if its worth it to also find HDR, but non-DV, content that also has Atmos and testing.

On another note, are you enjoying Apple Music? How do the Spatial/Atmos tracks sound, in general? I did a Tidal trial a few months ago, and the Atmos tracks were hit or miss. Riders on the Storm by The Doors was actually really good though, with the thunder and rain coming in nicely from the height channels.

So that Netflix series I posted is True Story with Kevin Hart. It has Dolby Vision and Atmos on it. During that series I had changed XT32 to disabled along with all other options to include Flat and Reference. The issue was still there and that is on the beta 15.2. I'm going to try and turn off the Dolby Vision and see if that has any good results.

So that Netflix series I posted is True Story with Kevin Hart. It has Dolby Vision and Atmos on it. During that series I had changed XT32 to disabled along with all other options to include Flat and Reference. The issue was still there and that is on the beta 15.2. I'm going to try and turn off the Dolby Vision and see if that has any good results.
Oh bummer, so you did experience it with Audyssey disabled? I still haven't had a chance to test it out.

So, one of the things I tried was disabling Dolby Vision in the Apple TV by setting it to 4k 60Hz SDR, and playing Atmos titles and it worked without issue. I've read people complaining about the popping issue with HDR in general, so I wonder if its worth it to also find HDR, but non-DV, content that also has Atmos and testing.

On another note, are you enjoying Apple Music? How do the Spatial/Atmos tracks sound, in general? I did a Tidal trial a few months ago, and the Atmos tracks were hit or miss. Riders on the Storm by The Doors was actually really good though, with the thunder and rain coming in nicely from the height channels.
Not who you asked, but I’ve gotten a free trial of iTunes. Spatial/Atmos tracks sound great, EXCEPT they only start a few seconds into the song. Perhaps I’ll turn Dolby Digital off on my TV to see what happens, but I’m unwilling to do so permanently. I listened to the tracks in my HT because that’s where I have height speakers, but it’s not where I listen to music (except for the occasional live concert footage).

Apple rep reached out. Says he's been trying to call me, but can't get through; phone just goes "unanswered". Which is weird because I have haven't seen any missed calls, etc. Unless I also have an iPhone problem? Anyway, asked if he could try me again last night to which I agreed, but no calls on my end. Might give him my work number that should ring to my laptop.

Also, did a very unscientific poll on a FB group for Dolby Atmos and Vision:

View attachment 22158

With the disparities there, and in here, Reddit, and over at AVSforums, I can't help but wonder if h/w is indeed to blame on some of these units (mixed with tvOS 15). I know a bunch of AVR manufacturers switched out their DAC chips due to shortages; wonder if Apple might have had similar issues with some component during manufacturing? Anyway, I think 15.2 is getting really close to launching. iOS 15.2 RC just dropped, so hopefully the official release for iOS and tvOS is right around the corner (with bug fixes!!!).
Since I'm having no issues at all now, I'm scared to update to the latest OS when it comes out! I think I'm going to pause updates for awhile, until I hear back from you guys.

I wonder if it's possible that the new patch fixes problems for you but then brings it back for others like me?

The new Apple tv you were given as a replacement, was that shipped special by Apple alone by itself and not in the typical Apple TV new box? I think I read that you got a remote too. Did they just give you a new retail box? Mine came all alone in a simple plain box.

So, Apple wants to send me new HDMI cable lol I guess I will try it as I don't have many other options at this point. I did notice tvOS 15.2 dropped today, so might go force the download and test it out.

So, Apple wants to send me new HDMI cable lol I guess I will try it as I don't have many other options at this point. I did notice tvOS 15.2 dropped today, so might go force the download and test it out.
Thanks for the news about the new OS. I'm not going to install that. I turned off automatic updates of the OS. I'm still running the last one with no problems. Watched another Apple show tonight with Atmos and Vision.

I'm scared of the new OS. If someone tries it out, please report back to us.

My daughter just installed 15 on her I phone 7 today.

So, is anyone here running the newest OS 15.2? I can't remember if anyone said they are. I think the 15 OS is available now for download on the Apple tv 4k? My daughter installed it on her old I phone.

Wondering what results are on our device. I'm not touching it for awhile I think. Dont want to screw up mine since it's working flawlessly now

So... two things. First - yes, I updated to 15.2. I haven't had time to watch more than 10 minutes since doing that, but so far there don't appear to be any problems.

But more interesting, two weekends ago (what's that - 10 days?) I changed my HDMI cable to the ATV. I am fairly sure that I haven't had a dropout since then.

I'm using this Belkin HDMI Ultra High Speed cable now, which clearly is massive overkill for my system. I'm still hesitant to recommend it as a solution to this problem, as I'd like more hours watching to ensure the dropouts have stopped. Also, I think my dropouts are different than the pops most of you are discussing, and I'm not using a 4k TV so that part isn't a factor either. My dropouts were simply the audio would cut out for 2-15 seconds.

Robert, since your system is working flawlessly, I'd hold off a while longer...

Back